Page 98 of 104 FirstFirst ... 4888949596979899100101102 ... LastLast
Results 1,456 to 1,470 of 1550

Thread: Gambit movie

"Comics journalism"? Filthy Mutie's Avatar

Disney+ isn't going to haphazardly start a bunch of shows with random X-Men characters for the foreseeable future. Look who is featured in their currently-announced line-up: All characters who have been featured heavily in MCU movies already - with their actors! "X-Men" needs time to percolate in the Disney/Marvel order.

The Gifted will certainly not continue over there.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    I'm not surprised the Gambit movie has been canceled. It has been in development hell for too long. It's still disappointing, though. I think Channing Tatum could've been great for the character and the X-Men franchise as a whole. Maybe he'll get to play Gambit in an MCU movie. But I guess this movie just wasn't meant to be.
    I’m disappointed too. I’m surprise Tatum hasn’t spoken on this. But what’s going on with Deadpool and where does it fit on the new schedule? I counted all the plan mcu movies and the Untitled Marvel plan, I don’t see any room for Deadpool. The only possibility is it will fall under Untitled Disney Live Action, hopefully Gambit too.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I guess I thought he was still one of the more noted franchise characters, but I will more then admit not being plugged into the fandom that well and that most of my X-Men interests are not mainstream (the movies are about the only mainstream thing I'm big into).
    Well, he's not at the height he was at in the 90's for popularity. But I think being part of the XTAS line-up alone probably ensured a decent level of general recognition. Not Batman/Spiderman/Superman, or even Wolverine level maybe, but probably at least B/C list. Certainly better known than several of the Avengers or the Guardians of the Galaxy, Jessica Jones, or even the upcoming Eternals, all of which have/will feature on the big and small screen. And recently he is seeing something of a resurgence, ranking high on JDW's Twitter X-Men popularity poll (#6).

When the X-Men do finally come on the MCU scene, I could really see doing some separate character movies like Gambit interspersed with the X-Men team movies, very much like they have done thus far with the Avengers.

Though a street level character like Gambit with his rich backstory and long list of associations could make a great TV series if done right. I'd be happy with either.

It's just a shame to have to wait even longer now. But if it means better production value it would be worth it.

BANNED

I don’t think it will be a long wait. There is a widespread assumption that Gambit been cancelled because it was removed off the Fox’s old schedule. The reality is it made sense to remove it because there is no way it would make the March date, why would Disney leave it on the schedule when they know it’s not going to open in March. Right now every Marvel movie that’s not in production is Untitled Marvel or Untitled Disney Live Action, even the one’s they already announced. So the assumption that Gambit is cancelled is probably wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    Well, he's not at the height he was at in the 90's for popularity. But I think being part of the XTAS line-up alone probably ensured a decent level of general recognition. Not Batman/Spiderman/Superman, or even Wolverine level maybe, but probably at least B/C list. Certainly better known than several of the Avengers or the Guardians of the Galaxy, Jessica Jones, or even the upcoming Eternals, all of which have/will feature on the big and small screen. And recently he is seeing something of a resurgence, ranking high on JDW's Twitter X-Men popularity poll (#6).

When the X-Men do finally come on the MCU scene, I could really see doing some separate character movies like Gambit interspersed with the X-Men team movies, very much like they have done thus far with the Avengers.

Though a street level character like Gambit with his rich backstory and long list of associations could make a great TV series if done right. I'd be happy with either.

It's just a shame to have to wait even longer now. But if it means better production value it would be worth it.
    Fair enough.

Edit: Wonder how much longer the old cartoon will continue to shape the perception of the franchise and characters?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Fair enough.

Edit: Wonder how much longer the old cartoon will continue to shape the perception of the franchise and characters?
    Nostalgia is extremely powerful. I like the series, but it shouldn't shape the future like this.

BANNED

Hopefully, if Disney can get rid of Simon Kinberg this movie might have a chance.

I don't know that Tatum would have been a great Gambit, but I appreciate the hell out of *anyone* that actually takes their role seriously and has a drive to *be* the character.

- Anything Daniel Day Lewis did in film
    - Robert Downey Jr. who pretty much was Tony Stark's real-world persona (maybe sans the engineering genius part)
    - Ryan Reynolds in Deadpool

So with that in mind, from what I've read, he'd have put his heart into the role I think. Sadly I have zero respect and even disdain for the people involved in the movie around him all the way up to the Fox execs calling the shots and screwing with things they don't understand.

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    Hopefully, if Disney can get rid of Simon Kinberg this movie might have a chance.
    Funny, I recall that, while he worked on some of the duds, he also worked on some of the best installments, as well.

In any event, if there is a Gambit movie, won't it be part of an MCU reboot, since Dark Phoenix and New Mutants are the last installments of the Fox series?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

I don’t want Feige to control it either. I want an adult Gambit, not a kid friendly MCU Gambit.

So long as Rogue and Gambit are a thing, I'm not really too bothered if they're teens or adults. None of that weird Iceman/Wolverine nonsense. I'm assuming they probably won't want to rush to make Rogue the main figure of any of the films since that's how Singer went with his films, so it'll probably depend a bit on Gambit to get her front and center.

BANNED

Channing Tatum yesterday at Humane Society of Ventura County.
    He is still proudly wearing the Gambit shirt.
    Could this still be part the future of X-Men?
    F4FEF121-C3CC-454C-B879-946018A76CA6.jpg

He is just a fan and I respect him for that.
    He did what he can. He can't be actor, producer, screenwriter and director.

He is a good guy

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

A Gambit movie? I hope so. Channing as Gambit? Please no.
    Make Good Art

BANNED

He had to know wearing that shirt in public would spark conversations about a possibility of the movie. It’s the same shirt he wore at SDCC when the movie was first announced.
    Last edited by luprki; 08-15-2019 at 01:15 PM.