Page 21 of 104 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324253171 ... LastLast

Thread: Gambit movie

Quote Originally Posted by Franchise408 View Post
    As far as Gambit goes, I'm happy that Gambit is finally a focus in this franchise, I just wish they would stop with the spinoffs and just put him in X-Men: Apocalypse. X-Men aren't Avengers, the solo film for every character treatment isn't going to work the same for ensemble characters the way it works for characters like Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, and Captain America who are solo characters that come together for an "All-Star" team movie every couple years.
    You ignoring the fact that casual fans don't give a shit about that. You point is relevant for the comics but as it relates to the movies, most of the people that are going to end up seeing the film will only have a passing awareness of the comics so they won't care about his perception in the comics. All they are going to care about is whether it is a enjoyable movie.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Secretly in the Shadows Starleafgirl's Avatar

Goodbye, Eion Macken as Gambit... you shall live on in my dreams!

Prεtty Pεnny
    I have no speech. No name. I live in the action of death. The blood-cry, the penetrating wound. I am destruction.... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7.../penance-1.jpg
    <----------------------------------->

Keep the snark to a minimum. ~ The CBR Community Behavior Rules

"What? I can't promise that!" ~ Starleafgirl

Original Join Date: 10-31-2007

Damn, that dude is the spitting image!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Starleafgirl View Post
    Goodbye, Eion Macken as Gambit... you shall live on in my dreams!

I could also go Jared Padalecki with it:
    jared_padalecki.jpg
    He's got the look and athleticism, and he's great on Supernatural, with a good range been dramatic and funny. Still, I believe Tatum CAN do this justice. Just have to keep our fingers crossed.

I'm sorry but really......a Gambit movie???? What would it even be about?? Him stealing stuff, if I wanted that I'd watch Ocean's Eleven again for the umpteenth time. Instead of focusing on Gambit I really wish Fox would maybe make a decent well rounded X-Men film. But then again that's just me.

I'm looking forward to this movie no matter WHO plays the Cajun. Although I sincerely hope that the next interviewer to question Tatum has cajones to ask how he feels about Rogue, since he's such a fan of Gambit. It's awesome to me that Channing is pushing so hard for this...I wish him nothing but the best as a fellow fan.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by the nomad View Post
    I'm sorry but really......a Gambit movie???? What would it even be about?? Him stealing stuff, if I wanted that I'd watch Ocean's Eleven again for the umpteenth time. Instead of focusing on Gambit I really wish Fox would maybe make a decent well rounded X-Men film. But then again that's just me.
    That statement about Gambit being a polarizing character is REALLY true. People love him, or they hate him. Me, I'm on the loving side of things, but I do understand why others would get angry that he would get a solo movie before any of the other X-men in the franchise. Thing is though, he is one of the few that it really makes sense to have a solo movie. Unlike all the others, he does have a life away from X-men and other superheroes, with his thieving and guild activities, and ties to criminal underworld types, or just strange adventuring acquaintances from his past, which I really wish they would focus on more in the comics nowadays. That is one of the fun things about his solo comic runs, and even bits in X-men, where you get to meet side characters like Fence or Jean Luc, Tante Matte or the Courier, etc, a full load of people who have nothing to do with mutants or Avengers or whatever, cause unlike other X-men, Gambit has a life of his own away from all that, and its a life where he usually handles his own business, and keeps it all secret from the spandex wearing community. Much like I wish they would focus on more for him in the comics, I hope they do the same for him in this move, show Gambit not just as a branch of the X-men, but as his own fun and questionable sort of hero.

The big worry from my end is the 'actor/producer' part. When someone is too close to something they love, you can end up with otherwise great people making something really bad (an example from the director's chair is Peter Jackson's King Kong).
    Dark does not mean deep.

What was said above about Gambit's life away from the X-Men is one of the only reasons why I am willing to give this spinoff a pass (and on another note, why I thought Gambit worked in X-Men Origins: Wolverine). I just really hope it doesn't lead to spinoffs for everyone. I don't want Storm, Mystique, Cyclops, Jean Grey movies, etc. It's bad enough we were also gonna get X-Men Origins: Magneto. So glad that was turned into X-Men: First Class.

As far as what they can do with the movie... For me it's simple: Mutant Massacre. Introduce Gambit in a Quicksilver style role in X-Men: Apocalypse, give him some dark secret (one that would tie him to Apocalypse) and then in "Gambit" showcase his role in the mutant massacre, including Creed (Gambit already had a history with Creed in X-Men Origins: Wolverine, and while they never explicitly tied Gambit and Creed together with their comic book history, I do appreciate that nod).

I think Mutant Massacre is the best choice for a Gambit film, hint at something horrible that happened between X-Men: Days Of Future Past and X-Men: Apocalypse, and then finally go into details in Gambit.

Then IF they decide to go with a 2nd Gambit movie, do what The Wolverine did, have Gambit take a leave from the X-Men to go back home to New Orleans where he gets caught up in some guild drama, and Belladonna.

BANNED

The more media exposure Gambit gets, the better for the character.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    The big worry from my end is the 'actor/producer' part. When someone is too close to something they love, you can end up with otherwise great people making something really bad (an example from the director's chair is Peter Jackson's King Kong).
    I dunno. Think of what Karl Urban did for Judge Dredd. His portrayal in the 2012 movie was WAAAAAAAY better then Stallone's piece of crap. Damn I wish that would get a sequel. 0_0 And all because he loved the character and wanted to really bring Dredd alive on screen.

Ultimate Member

Probably just have Gambit be a young thief and get in trouble with one guild or another and have to save his own behind, get the girl, and deal with being a mutant all at the same time...that or he's falsely accused and has to clear his name.

CC TREATMENT LOL

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the nomad View Post
    If you knew anything on, Gambit you'd know it's more then stealing. A, good intro movie to gambit would be easy. Show him grow up, in New Orleans. Be put in the thieves guild, romance with Belledona, rivalry with her brother Julien and the, Assassin's guild. Maybe even bring in Tattie Mattie, Candra the Tithe collector. End the movie, with Gambit exiled from the guilds
    X-Men Forever

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Franchise408 View Post
    What was said above about Gambit's life away from the X-Men is one of the only reasons why I am willing to give this spinoff a pass (and on another note, why I thought Gambit worked in X-Men Origins: Wolverine). I just really hope it doesn't lead to spinoffs for everyone. I don't want Storm, Mystique, Cyclops, Jean Grey movies, etc. It's bad enough we were also gonna get X-Men Origins: Magneto. So glad that was turned into X-Men: First Class.

As far as what they can do with the movie... For me it's simple: Mutant Massacre. Introduce Gambit in a Quicksilver style role in X-Men: Apocalypse, give him some dark secret (one that would tie him to Apocalypse) and then in "Gambit" showcase his role in the mutant massacre, including Creed (Gambit already had a history with Creed in X-Men Origins: Wolverine, and while they never explicitly tied Gambit and Creed together with their comic book history, I do appreciate that nod).

I think Mutant Massacre is the best choice for a Gambit film, hint at something horrible that happened between X-Men: Days Of Future Past and X-Men: Apocalypse, and then finally go into details in Gambit.

Then IF they decide to go with a 2nd Gambit movie, do what The Wolverine did, have Gambit take a leave from the X-Men to go back home to New Orleans where he gets caught up in some guild drama, and Belladonna.
    Naw not mutant massacre. We need a good origin story for gambit first in my, opinion
    X-Men Forever