Page 7 of 104 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast

Thread: Gambit movie

Amazing Member

I think it's important, above all else, when attaching an actor to a character, that the actor has an actual affinity for the character. I remember reading on more than 1 occasion that Tatum has knowledge and appreciation for Gambit. That's he's read Gambit. If Tatum is a fan, then he's going to have passion for the role and that's not something you can teach.

Quote Originally Posted by Project Initiative Cascada View Post

While arguably most comic book films are crap, I would say a good chunk of them are good enough to be considered for Academy Awards. I thought Anne should've won the Oscar for being Selina over that generic Les Miz role.
    I thought Aaron Eckhart deserved at least an Oscar nomination for being Harvey Dent.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Project Initiative Cascada View Post

While arguably most comic book films are crap, I would say a good chunk of them are good enough to be considered for Academy Awards. I thought Anne should've won the Oscar for being Selina over that generic Les Miz role.

Good call. But, definitely an exception to the rule.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    The perfect Kitty would've been Sarah Hyland.
    You don't think Ellen Page is the perfect Kitty? Though I will say I'm not sure who Sarah Hyland is, so I will have to check out her work.

Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    And which of these actors has actually made money in real Hollywood movies where they were the lead star? Kitsch comes the closest but sorry he is not on Tatum's level. I encourage all the Gambit fans crying to please stay home. I certainly won't miss you nor will all the other people that hopefully go and see the movie.

As a die hard Gambit fan, I am embarrassed that apparently fans care more about getting their personal preference cast in a Gambit movie over actually being excited about the fact that he will be appearing in a movie to begin with. I could actually understand not being that gung ho about the guy but all this bitching as if it's the end of the world is silly.
    I m really excited that Gambit is getting a solo movie as well as appearing in x-men Apocalypse. I always wished to see my favourite X-men on the big screen getting the spotlight which he truly deserves. The producer is excited and so is the actor about gambit so I think It will really turn out well.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dantes617 View Post
    Good call. But, definitely an exception to the rule.
    It's not, really.

Hardcore superhero fans hate anyone who's cast in any of these things. They don't walk around in real life looking like their character, or they were in this other movie they didn't like, or they're too popular, or they're unknown, too tall, too short, too blond, too black, too pretty, too ugly, too old, too young...

From Batman to Captain America, Sabertooth to Superman, there are vocal comics fans who got super angry and declared casting-failure before the movie ever came out.

"Is this the monorail?" Sorceress Supreme!'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    This guy?

He's a very good actor, Martinez, but he's not naturally and daily "dirty/unwashed." "Dirty/unwashed" is a makeup and costuming issue, not an actor's natural state of existence. That's part of why it's called acting.

(Besides, Gambit, other than a bit unshaven, tends to look pretty well-groomed in most of his appearances. That hair, y'know?)
    Yes, this guy.

Seriously, unfaithful could be his perfect audition. He's too old now though sadly but he has the accent, the smooth seductive charm, he's everything I envision Gambit to be.

"Is this the monorail?" Sorceress Supreme!'s Avatar

The perfect Kitty would've been Sarah Hyland.
    She's too pretty. Kitty is ugly, canon.

Apparently Bleeding Cool's update now says that Kitsch will play him in X-Men: Apocalypse, but Tatum will be him in a standalone movie that is suggested to be a period piece.
    What is it with Fox and making X-Men into period pieces?! When has X-Men ever been a period piece story? I just don't get it. It was fine to show origin of Mags/Xavier but then this idea of making all x-films into period pieces. It's so out of left field and not related to actual comics. I don't hate (sci-fi) period pieces, I actually like them but X-Men and period piece is such a strange combo for me. Marvel hasn't made Avengers into a period piece even though Cap's origin is set in WWII and Iron Man's origin was set in Vietnam. Fucking Fox.

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Mutie View Post
    In a recent interview with Ali Plump at Empire Magazine, published in their X-Men: Days of Future Past issue, X-Men film franchise producer Lauren Shuler Donner stated she's hot for a Gambit film and is pushing it through the studio. Talking muscle Channing Tatum is on top of it, because he's a huge X-Men fan, and a fan of Gambit in particular.

So, basically, this movie is happening, whether you like it or not.

What do you think of Channing Tatum playing the Ragin' Cajun(TM)!?
    What do you want to see in this Gambit film?
    More importantly, since this is the Internet, what don't you want to see in this film?
    Will Anna Paquin be in it?
    Will there be an airboat chase sequence? (God, I hope there's an airboast chase sequence!)
    How many people will be eaten by alligators?
    How many close-ups of a mid-flight playing card will there be during the film?
    Of the playing cards used as weapons seen in the film, how many will be face cards?
    Will everyone look fairly sweaty throughout the movie?
    Will Northern California's own Credence Clearwater Revival be a part of the soundtrack? How about Long Island's Mountain?
    What will be the average pun-per-minute rate?
    Do you want him to wear a costume faithful to his comic appearances, like Thor?

Let's talk about all of this, and more!

I'm adding the poll shortly.
    Ci Comic Books movies that make money are good for the industry, this will probably make money so it is a good thing.

And It might just be fun to watch

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sorceress Supreme! View Post
    Yes, this guy.

Seriously, unfaithful could be his perfect audition. He's too old now though sadly but he has the accent, the smooth seductive charm, he's everything I envision Gambit to be.
    Hey, I love the guy, too, but his accent is French, not Louisiana. And they're not the same thing. That said, he's an actor, he can do other accents. And with the right costuming and makeup he's solid. My point was just that it takes costuming, makeup, and acting. He's not daily "dirty" or anything, though he does seem naturally flirty for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomppa View Post
    What is it with Fox and making X-Men into period pieces?! When has X-Men ever been a period piece story? I just don't get it. It was fine to show origin of Mags/Xavier but then this idea of making all x-films into period pieces. It's so out of left field and not related to actual comics. I don't hate (sci-fi) period pieces, I actually like them but X-Men and period piece is such a strange combo for me. Marvel hasn't made Avengers into a period piece even though Cap's origin is set in WWII and Iron Man's origin was set in Vietnam. Fucking Fox.
    Cap was clearly, a period piece.

So far three of the x-movies took place "in the near future" (the first three), one was a period piece set in the 60s, the first Wolverine was set in a vague past, and the last one set after the first three team movies.

I didn't, anywhere, that someone with authority said there was a Gambit period piece planned, or what year it'd be set in. Anyone actually have a quote from someone in authority to back that up? The Bleeding Cool bit, says it implies it, but give no reason for that.

Amazing Member

I don't normally get up in arms about casting choices. But honestly? I don't like this at all. Not even a little. He is a horrible, horrible choice for Gambit. And I am sad to say that if he does star in a solo Gambit movie, I won't be watching it. He is the perfect example of Hollywood execs casting someone based on current (and fleeting) popularity rather than talent or ability to play a role convincingly. He may be a fan, but he is simply NOT Gambit as far as I'm concerned. And this is for several reasons which I do not have the energy to go into just now.

What really gets me is that Taylor Kitsch was a very good Gambit. He bothered to learn about the character. He trained with a bo-staff. He had charm, he had charisma, he had the looks. Hell, he even had the voice. The only thing that really needed work was his accent. He was horrendously underused and now we likely won't be getting any more of him.

I've been faithfully watching/buying these movies since they came out. But Channing Tatum as Gambit may honestly be the last straw for me...
    Last edited by katie_girl09; 05-13-2014 at 10:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by belay View Post
    I m really excited that Gambit is getting a solo movie as well as appearing in x-men Apocalypse. I always wished to see my favourite X-men on the big screen getting the spotlight which he truly deserves. The producer is excited and so is the actor about gambit so I think It will really turn out well.
    I agree. I think it's good to look on the bright side of this news. We're getting lots of Gambit on the big screen which is a major victory for Gambit fans that have been clamoring for this since the first X-men film in 2000. I know that Channing is a huge Gambit fan, and in this post-Avengers world, Fox knows they have to get everything they produce to be as good as what Marvel is putting out. I think they'll find a great director for the solo film and it will be a slam dunk!!! I can't wait!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Remy Lebeau View Post
    I agree. I think it's good to look on the bright side of this news. We're getting lots of Gambit on the big screen which is a major victory for Gambit fans that have been clamoring for this since the first X-men film in 2000. I know that Channing is a huge Gambit fan, and in this post-Avengers world, Fox knows they have to get everything they produce to be as good as what Marvel is putting out. I think they'll find a great director for the solo film and it will be a slam dunk!!! I can't wait!!!

You can have it. Clearly they're more interested in making money than producing a decent Gambit movie. Tatum is a potato headed fail and the movie (if it ever gets made) will be horrible with him in the lead role, as a character that he couldn't even pull off as a halloween costume.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthetic Innocence View Post
    You can have it. Clearly they're more interested in making money than producing a decent Gambit movie. Tatum is a potato headed fail and the movie (if it ever gets made) will be horrible with him in the lead role, as a character that he couldn't even pull off as a halloween costume.
    Can't wait until this movie comes out and hopefully does well just so all the ridiculous crying can stop. It's fine if you don't like the choice but your rant borders on the completely irrational. ANXF sells 25k. Your opinion has zero impact on the success of the movie because the causal fans who go to see these movies couldn't give two shits about the stuff you are complaining about. Tatum is considered attractive by most women in the movie going audience potato head or not as evidenced by him being a bigger box office draw than anyone else you wish to play Gambit.
    Last edited by remydat; 05-14-2014 at 09:52 AM.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.