Page 8 of 104 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast

Thread: Gambit movie

Furthermore, there seems to be some mass delusion here. Fox didn't decide to do a Gambit movie and then choose Tatum for the role among other viable actors. Tatum decided he wanted to play Gambit, lobbied hard for the role, and that is likely the only reason all this Gambit talk surfaced.

All these other actors you guys keep talking about would not have gotten a move made period. Taylor Kitsch had his shot after origins when a Gambit movie was rumored after that but his stock fizzled after some other movies didn't do as well as expected and hasn't really recovered so there is no way Fox or anyone was going to trust him in a Hollywood movie. Josh Holloway couldn't keep his TV show on the year for more than one season. Everyone else I have heard mentioned has never carried a movie by themselves to make a lot of money.

So I really don't why these other guys are even discussed. From the start of this Gambit buzz it was always Tatum or no movie at all because the only reason this is a topic is because Tatum was interested. The idea that Fox should listen to 25k comic book fans (ie the number of people that buy Gambit books) and invest hundreds of millions of dollars in a movie starring someone without a big Hollywood draw is absurd.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthetic Innocence View Post
    You can have it. Clearly they're more interested in making money than producing a decent Gambit movie. Tatum is a potato headed fail and the movie (if it ever gets made) will be horrible with him in the lead role, as a character that he couldn't even pull off as a halloween costume.
    Very well-said. The fact that certain posters are more concerned with the financial success of this film over the quality is concerning.

Put a wig on Tatum and bam you have Gambit

Quote Originally Posted by Project Initiative Cascada View Post
    Very well-said. The fact that certain posters are more concerned with the financial success of this film over the quality is concerning.
    I am concerned with the movie getting made which isn't possible unless Fox expects it to be a financial success. In case you hadn't noticed, Hollywood is a profit making entity not a charity.

Furthermore, I am also concerned with the quality but as we are 2-3 years away from an actual movie, there is nothing for me to judge the quality of this movie on unless I want to be an irrational whiny comic book fan hating on something that doesn't even have a script yet while pining for actors who don't have the box office appeal to actually get a movie made.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Astonishing Member

Well, i guess this sin't too surprising since he was the guy singer was considering for X3 before he abandoned ship for superman. Tatum doesn't really 'look' the part and isn't known a a great thespian. But he does have a 'name' and fanbase and he is muscle-y and somewhat acrobatic. He can do comedy, so gambit's sense of humor should be there. Remydat has point though, the only reason fox is really talking about a gambit movie is because of tatum and his box office draw. Guess we'll see how it works out.

What do you think of Channing Tatum playing the Ragin' Cajun(TM)!?
    Not my first choice, or second, third, but won't dismiss him outright yet.

What do you want to see in this Gambit film?
    A heist of some kind, i guess would be the obvious. Possibly something with sinister...

More importantly, since this is the Internet, what don't you want to see in this film?
    Headsocks

Will Anna Paquin be in it?
    If she's sassy,brawler Rogue, sure. standard wet noodle movie rogue wouldn't be any fun.

Will there be an airboat chase sequence? (God, I hope there's an airboast chase sequence!)
    One and at least one motorcycle chase. Maybe a motorcycle/airboat chase sequence...i'll leave how that works to the special effects people.

How many people will be eaten by alligators?
    One alligator casuality and one death by water moccasin.

How many close-ups of a mid-flight playing card will there be during the film?
    at least six.

Of the playing cards used as weapons seen in the film, how many will be face cards?
    None, they will all be aces. Don't you read the comics?!?! :P

Will everyone look fairly sweaty throughout the movie?
    If it's set in new orleans, it would hard for anyone to not be sweaty. :P

Will Northern California's own Credence Clearwater Revival be a part of the soundtrack? How about Long Island's Mountain?
    I think they should play 'house of the rising sun' and 'devil went down to georgia' (don't ask me why, i really don't know...)

What will be the average pun-per-minute rate?
    hmm....one every five minutes or so....

Do you want him to wear a costume faithful to his comic appearances, like Thor?
    If it's the recent Mann Costume yes. If any other, no thanks. just say no to headsocks.
    Last edited by anyajenkins; 05-14-2014 at 10:03 AM.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    Furthermore, I am also concerned with the quality but as we are 2-3 years away from an actual movie, there is nothing for me to judge the quality of this movie on unless I want to be an irrational whiny comic book fan hating on something that doesn't even have a script yet while pining for actors who don't have the box office appeal to actually get a movie made.
    They are not necessarily being "irrational" or "whiny", especially if they do not consider the actor a good fit for the part (as many do not). Charm and good looks (if you agree that he has either of those things) can only make up for so much. Sometimes an actor is just not right for a part. Period. You want to be eternally optimistic? That's great. But the rest of us are not obligated to do so. Name calling is unnecessary and counterproductive.

I do not understand all that moaning for Tatum as Gambit.
    There are no reason to say about bad quality of movie. It is stupid. Movie is just in development and 3-4 years is more then enough to make a desent movie.

I understand where Remydat's coming from- Tatum's one of the only reliably bankable actors out there (who would've though, eh?). However, he's still a bad choice for Gambit.

Quote Originally Posted by katie_girl09 View Post
    They are not necessarily being "irrational" or "whiny", especially if they do not consider the actor a good fit for the part (as many do not). Charm and good looks (if you agree that he has either of those things) can only make up for so much. Sometimes an actor is just not right for a part. Period. You want to be eternally optimistic? That's great. But the rest of us are not obligated to do so. Name calling is unnecessary and counterproductive.
    There is a difference between saying you don't like the choice of an actor vs making the Scott Bakula Quantum Leap in saying it is doomed or it will be terrible when all we know right now is that one guy is starring in a movie that is still 2-3 years from coming out.

The former is perfectly understandable, the latter is certainly whiny and irrational. Unless you are telling me you are a mutant precog then I consider anyone who makes declarations of the future as if they are undeniable facts irrational since any rational person understands the future can't be predicted with any degree of certainty.

Having said that, fans are free to be whiny and irrational and I am free to point it out when they are.
    Last edited by remydat; 05-14-2014 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Foon4000 View Post
    I understand where Remydat's coming from- Tatum's one of the only reliably bankable actors out there (who would've though, eh?). However, he's still a bad choice for Gambit.
    And again, I have no problem with the above position. My post was responding to the gross hyperbole and predictions about how horrible it is going to be simply because you don't like the actor chosen. We don't know a damn thing about the plot, the director, the other actors, etc. All things that can result in a movie being good despite what appears to be a poor choice for the lead. Not to mention there have been plenty of actors who seemingly looked like bad actors or bad fits for a role who given the opportunity to work on a passion project actually ended up surprising people.

Aside from that, while no one is under any obligation to say nice things about him, I would have thought that long suffering Gambit fans would at least have the common courtesy to give a fellow Gambit fan (Tatum) some leeway until we learn more about the project. The dude is a Gambit fan just like us and I would have thought despite any reservations anyone has about him, they would at least appreciate the fact that a bankable major movie star basically single handedly generated enough interest from the studios in a Gambit solo project to make it a viable option.

Gambit was a non-topic in Hollywood since Origins and Taylor Kitsch movies didn't do as well as expected back in 2009. Now the one guy that has raised the profile of Gambit in the movies again is getting crapped on by supposed Gambit fans who beyond just saying they don't like the choice are making all these claims that they won't even give the movie a chance. As a fellow Gambit fan, it's disappointing to hear but again they are free to express those opinions but I certainly am free to express mine as well. In the end, both sides should have a voice.
    Last edited by remydat; 05-14-2014 at 12:36 PM.

Not looking forward to Tatum as Gambit but I am gonna support the movie since its about time they gave another character a solo movie other than their precious Wolverine.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    Unless you are telling me you are a mutant precog then I consider anyone who makes declarations of the future as if they are undeniable facts irrational since any rational person understands the future can't be predicted with any degree of certainty.
    Why, of course I am a mutant precog! Didn't I make myself clear?

You know, if you're sure that you don't like an actor for a part, it doesn't matter a whole lot how far away the actual movie release is. You will probably think the movie is garbage anyway. I, for example, have seen Channing Tatum in several movies. I know that I don't care for him as an actor and that in my estimation he has the emotional range and depth of a wet sock. So based on that, I do not have to be psychic to know that I will not like Channing Tatum as Gambit.

Having said that, fans are free to be whiny and irrational and I am free to point it out when they are.
    Quite so.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Apparently Bleeding Cool's update now says that Kitsch will play him in X-Men: Apocalypse, but Tatum will be him in a standalone movie that is suggested to be a period piece.
    That report now seems to have mysteriously disappeared.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by katie_girl09 View Post
    Why, of course I am a mutant precog! Didn't I make myself clear?

You know, if you're sure that you don't like an actor for a part, it doesn't matter a whole lot how far away the actual movie release is. You will probably think the movie is garbage anyway. I, for example, have seen Channing Tatum in several movies. I know that I don't care for him as an actor and that in my estimation he has the emotional range and depth of a wet sock. So based on that, I do not have to be psychic to know that I will not like Channing Tatum as Gambit.

Quite so.
    But I wasn't disputing your liking or not liking Tatum as Gambit. I was disputing the below which goes well beyond that. It takes their own personal views on Tatum and presumes it will be a view that millions of movie goers 3 years from now will share because you know their opinion is obviously universal. It also presumes that because the producers have a different opinion on the actor for Gambit that it means their intentions are not to make a good movie. Both of which I find irrational.

Not to mention the poster felt the need to insult a guy simply because he had the audacity to want to play one of his favorite characters in a film. Like did Tatum kick someone's dog to warrant being called a potato headed fail? You can object to something without being rude about it. So yes I found some of the stuff said in the post uncalled for and I have no problem saying so.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthetic Innocence View Post
    You can have it. Clearly they're more interested in making money than producing a decent Gambit movie. Tatum is a potato headed fail and the movie (if it ever gets made) will be horrible with him in the lead role, as a character that he couldn't even pull off as a halloween costume.

Secretly in the Shadows Starleafgirl's Avatar
    Prεtty Pεnny
    I have no speech. No name. I live in the action of death. The blood-cry, the penetrating wound. I am destruction.... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7.../penance-1.jpg
    <----------------------------------->

Keep the snark to a minimum. ~ The CBR Community Behavior Rules

"What? I can't promise that!" ~ Starleafgirl

Original Join Date: 10-31-2007