Page 9 of 104 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast

Thread: Gambit movie

I don't think there is an instead anymore. Tatum's FOX's guy.

Secretly in the Shadows Starleafgirl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    I don't think there is an instead anymore. Tatum's FOX's guy.
    A girl can hope. Though that one official's crush on Tatum has totally sealed the deal, yeah.
    Prεtty Pεnny
    I have no speech. No name. I live in the action of death. The blood-cry, the penetrating wound. I am destruction.... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7.../penance-1.jpg
    <----------------------------------->

Keep the snark to a minimum. ~ The CBR Community Behavior Rules

"What? I can't promise that!" ~ Starleafgirl

Original Join Date: 10-31-2007

I think his box office take is what sealed the deal. If you ignore the big budget films.

1. 21 Jump Street - 201 million on a 42 million budget.
    2. The Vow - 196.1 million on a 30 million budget.
    3. Magic Mike - 167.2 million on a 7 million budget.
    4. Dear John - 125 million on a 25 million budget.
    5. Step Up - 114.2 million on a 12 million budget.

That's 5 movies with dirt cheap budgets where Tatum was the lead and it made over 100 million. Aside from 21 Jump Street, they are also all movies for which the main audience was female. So Gambit is a character that has always had a large female audience and they picked a dude who has made his name making low budget films that women go see. The comic book nature of the book is going to draw the male fans and Tatum and the right marketing can potentially attract the female fans. You get the Superhero audience and the Twilight audience to come to the same film and you have the makings of a decent box office take. Remains to be seen if they can actually pull it off.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

I think that if they do the right script, and Gambit is a character who does not need allot of special effects. They could actually do a low budget, using his thief back ground for a movie concept - and reap allot of moola. When I say low budget, I mean the character lends himself to easier to make movies because of who he is - his cards, eyes and bo staff, and explosions are probably all the extras they'll need. Especially if they take some of the story ideas posted recently. All of those film ideas can be done easily.
    "My superpower? I'm irresistible to women." Gambit- ANXF #9
    Gambit's kittens: Oliver, Lucifer and Figaro: Oliver and Company.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by pandesal View Post
    Not looking forward to Tatum as Gambit but I am gonna support the movie since its about time they gave another character a solo movie other than their precious Wolverine.
    My thoughts exactly.

I think it could be kind of a cool passing of the torch, as they put more focus on Gambit as the "badass rogue" character in 'Apocalypse' in order to spin him off into his own film. I'm expecting Jackman's role to be noticeably smaller.

IMO this feels a lot like the old Jim Lee X-men days where Gambit came in and was a big rival of Logan's. "Bang, you dead, homme."

And if Gambit is successful as a breakout character, perhaps we will get more. I fully expect 'X-Force' to put a lot of focus on Cable and Deadpool, particularly so they can spin Deadpool out into his own solo film. With Channing as Gambit now, however, I am thinking that they will skew older with Cable and not go with someone younger who could be more of a leading man type / new franchise star. Stephen Lang will probably get the call, and they'll put Jackman in 'X-Force' too to help launch it and base the team more off the Uncanny X-Force squad but with Cable and perhaps Domino too (hence mix of classic X-Force with UXF as we've heard).
    Last edited by Jackraow21; 05-15-2014 at 07:11 AM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    I think his box office take is what sealed the deal. If you ignore the big budget films.

1. 21 Jump Street - 201 million on a 42 million budget.
    2. The Vow - 196.1 million on a 30 million budget.
    3. Magic Mike - 167.2 million on a 7 million budget.
    4. Dear John - 125 million on a 25 million budget.
    5. Step Up - 114.2 million on a 12 million budget.

That's 5 movies with dirt cheap budgets where Tatum was the lead and it made over 100 million. Aside from 21 Jump Street, they are also all movies for which the main audience was female. So Gambit is a character that has always had a large female audience and they picked a dude who has made his name making low budget films that women go see. The comic book nature of the book is going to draw the male fans and Tatum and the right marketing can potentially attract the female fans. You get the Superhero audience and the Twilight audience to come to the same film and you have the makings of a decent box office take. Remains to be seen if they can actually pull it off.
    This right here. I'm looking forward to it. Since Tatum's a fan of Gambit, maybe he'll have suggestions on what stories to possibly adapt? He's been lobbying the studio for a while now, so we'll see. Iron Man did way more business than people expected, and it led to more films being made in the MCU. If it had failed, The other solo movies and Avengers would have been delayed. Maybe Fox can use this film to get more solo stories told.

All Tatum needs to do in order to play Gambit is work on getting cut up / streamlining his physique, grow his hair out and work on the accent. If he's a halfway decent actor he can pull it off, and hopefully they write the character with his signature flair and give him some solid one-liners. I think he'll do fine.

I think something great that could come with Gambit being a focus in the x-films is that we get Mr. Sinister as a villain. That would be huge.

Quote Originally Posted by Neko View Post
    I think that if they do the right script, and Gambit is a character who does not need allot of special effects. They could actually do a low budget, using his thief back ground for a movie concept - and reap allot of moola. When I say low budget, I mean the character lends himself to easier to make movies because of who he is - his cards, eyes and bo staff, and explosions are probably all the extras they'll need. Especially if they take some of the story ideas posted recently. All of those film ideas can be done easily.
    Yeah that's also part of the reason why Wolverine was a good choice for solos. As the star he is in just about every scene so if he was a character that needed powers to be useful in a fight then it would cost too much. Gambit can get by with his thief skills, savate, and bo staff and you save the powers for the big fights and for his adversaries. And even when he does use them aside from the special effects on the color signature, all it boils down to is a lot of explosions.

I would like to see him charging **** other than his cards though. I always envisioned a scene from one of the Daniel Craig bond flicks where he Gambit is all tied up half naked being tortured and the whole time he has been using his bare feet to charge up the entire building. Then he escapes and the whole building just goes boom.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    I think something great that could come with Gambit being a focus in the x-films is that we get Mr. Sinister as a villain. That would be huge.
    This would be my dream scenario. A story with the first 45 minutes or so establishing the Guilds and ending with his banishment. Then the next 45 minutes of him roaming the world and linking up with the Marauders and GD (gotta have a love interest) where initially they are part of a Heist team run by Sinister. So they do heist jobs while Gambit is also being pursued by the Assassin's. Then the final 45 minutes is that Heist team growing more sinister (pun intended) due to Mr. Sinister's influence with Sabes somehow causing GD's death (perhaps he was in love with her too) and finally culminating in the Marauders going on what Gambit believes to be a heist that turns out in fact to be the Mutant Massacre.

You could then link the MM into the Apocalypse movie and other films by having Sinister's reasons for the massacre being he had to cover up his research to prevent Apocalypse from learning that he was experimenting on the Morlocks to develop a mutant that could defeat him. If you really wanted to link it all then Cable can be that mutant which we don't find out until the X-force films.

Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    This would be my dream scenario. A story with the first 45 minutes or so establishing the Guilds and ending with his banishment. Then the next 45 minutes of him roaming the world and linking up with the Marauders and GD (gotta have a love interest) where initially they are part of a Heist team run by Sinister. So they do heist jobs while Gambit is also being pursued by the Assassin's. Then the final 45 minutes is that Heist team growing more sinister (pun intended) due to Mr. Sinister's influence with Sabes somehow causing GD's death (perhaps he was in love with her too) and finally culminating in the Marauders going on what Gambit believes to be a heist that turns out in fact to be the Mutant Massacre.

You could then link the MM into the Apocalypse movie and other films by having Sinister's reasons for the massacre being he had to cover up his research to prevent Apocalypse from learning that he was experimenting on the Morlocks to develop a mutant that could defeat him. If you really wanted to link it all then Cable can be that mutant which we don't find out until the X-force films.
    That would be an absolutely perfect plot balance for a Gambit solo film. I really hope that is the story they go with.

New JerZ. You KNOW something! Tell me what you know!

Grace Randolph mentioned Rogue while conducting her interview with FOX's people.

All I'm asking for his Paquin x Tatum even is it's a short cameo or mid-credits scene. I need Paquin to be the fully realized Rogue that we all know she can. Give her the Ms. Marvel powerset but don't explain how she got it right away (like they did with X-MenTAS until the end of Season two when the finally revealed what happen; and like what they did at the end of Evolution). Just have her say something like "I did something bad; this is my punishment."
    Author of X-Forums.

Follow Goddess on Instagram.

BANNED

Paquin and Tatum exist 30 years apart from each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiolino View Post
    Paquin and Tatum exist 30 years apart from each other.
    Yup. Remember, if he's introduced in Apocalypse, that's the First Class timeline.