Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    Hush ended the streak of great stories that had befallen the Batman titles from the 70s to the early 2000s. From that point onward there were good books and there were bad books but the cosistency from decades prior had vanished.
    Imo the great stories ended with No Man's Land, already New Gotham and Bruce Wayne Murder were not that great (Ok War Games was far worse).

The main reason for the sudden lack of consistency is probably the end Denny O'Niel's turn as Batman Editor.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Reread it a year or two ago and it does, but that helps it. Jack IS kind of pretentious himself. It works. The back half is weaker but I still enjoyed it a lot.

But yeah, it comes off the way Cry For Irrelevance or no.
    Robinson has written a lot since Cry For Justice. New 52 THE SHADE is wonderful. His SCARLET WITCH is solid stuff.

DEATH IN THE FAMILY is total shlock. It's really wacky and a fun read but I can not believe the legs that it has. It should have been hand waved out of continuity years ago.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Imo the great stories ended with No Man's Land, already New Gotham and Bruce Wayne Murder were not that great (Ok War Games was far worse).

The main reason for the sudden lack of consistency is probably the end Denny O'Niel's turn as Batman Editor.
    You're right about the departure of Denny O'Neil. As for New Gotham and Bruce Wayne Fugitive, I have a lot of fond memories of those comics, even though the criticism of Batman being too much of a dick during that era is valid.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Robinson has written a lot since Cry For Justice. New 52 THE SHADE is wonderful. His SCARLET WITCH is solid stuff.
    Didn't know he returned to The Shade. I'll have to give that a look. Hopefully it's on DC Universe. Thank you for bringing that to my attention!

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Oooh, I loved both The Shade and Scarlet Witch! How could I forget those... *facepalm*

Now I feel (slightly) more justified in my earlier assertion that he would have been good on Hawkman.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I find Kingdom Come and Action Comics #775 to be strawmannish and immature takes on lethal force and an insecure overreaction in defense of Superman.
    Quote Originally Posted by HsssH
    I think this might be one of the main reasons why Superman keeps struggling - writers are usually not capable of providing a solid response to various anti-Superman takes.
    Personally I thought Linkara provided an excellent response to anti-Superman takes in his review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQNQNBHghho

Also I'm pretty sure "Kingdom Come" was written as a response to the growing popularity of violent anti-heroes in comics in general, not just in defence of Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Hol
    FINAL CRISIS. I do not get how anyone loves or even likes it. It had so much potential as this fantastic New Gods story and then WHAM! as jarring as the art change was from JG Jones to DM we all of a sudden are in a story about Vampire Monitors. I felt like I read half of two stories. Just didn't fit.
    I tried to read "Final Crisis." It literally made my head hurt.
    Last edited by hareluyafan1; 01-15-2021 at 04:02 PM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hareluyafan1 View Post
    Also I'm pretty sure "Kingdom Come" was written as a response to the growing popularity of violent anti-heroes in comics in general, not just in defence of Superman.
    That seems to be why Magog is modeled after Cable (specifically the original Liefeld version).

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Didn't know he returned to The Shade. I'll have to give that a look. Hopefully it's on DC Universe. Thank you for bringing that to my attention!
    I believe it is on DCU still. It's a great read, sadly a short one though. I hope Robinson does another SHADE mini someday.

There's pirates and Celestial Pharaohs involved, so I think you'll have a good time.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 01-15-2021 at 07:56 PM.