Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Which DC run/story considered a "Classic" did you never understand the hype?

We've all been there, we find out about a "classic story", from the famous writer/artist, or the "amazing run" when a particular creator took over a title. You go get the back issues or the trade, so excited to experience these widely considered classic comics. You finish it, and you go "really?!"

Which one comes to mind that you just didn't understand the hype after reading it?

All-Star Superman. I really hated it when everyone said it was a must read.

I'll agree somewhat, I thought it was very "meh". I didn't hate it, but I'm with you that it did NOT live up to the hype.

Amazing Member

The Brood story-line in X-Men. I thought it was horrible.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Hmm, nothing like that yet... The closest one is A Death in The Family, which I understand the hype, but burst out laughing at Iranian Ambassador Joker.

Like I wasn't that sad because this was the only Jason story I read at the time, so I didn't know him... I hate his mother though... but any proper emotion I had was just gone the moment I saw Joker in a... keffiyeh? It's such an absurd visual right next to the seriousness of Batman trying to holding himself back not to beat up Joker.

I acknowledge that part of the story, but any seriousness I felt was just gone.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Hmm, nothing like that yet... The closest one is A Death in The Family, which I understand the hype, but burst out laughing at Iranian Ambassador Joker.

Like I wasn't that sad because this was the only Jason story I read at the time, so I didn't know him... I hate his mother though... but any proper emotion I had was just gone the moment I saw Joker in a... keffiyeh? It's such an absurd visual right next to the seriousness of Batman trying to holding himself back not to beat up Joker.

I acknowledge that part of the story, but any seriousness I felt was just gone.
    To be fair, few fans acclaim A DEATH IN THE FAMILY as a great story. It's certainly an *important* one in BATMAN history, but I've never really seen it singled out for praise as a story, apart from its historical significance.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

On the Marvel side, it was the Kree/Skrull War. Didn't get that at all!

On the DC side its Gaiman's Sandman. Besides the very unique artwork, I didn't get the appeal at all.

Dark Knight Returns...

I just couldn’t get what the whole hoopla was about.
    Aside from the intro of Carrie Kelley as Robin, it just didn’t interest me.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Astonishing Member

The Green Lantern/Green Arrow run.

Maybe it just didn't age well but rather than ground breaking tales it read like a parody. I'm expecting the comic book equivalent of Star Trek or All in the Family but i get paper tin plots, strawmen protagonists and surptise that this team could be the same guy that wrote the Batman/R'as stories.

I love Superman but I did not care for the Death story, at all. I mean the fight is cool but it's not something I rank very highly.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    All-Star Superman. I really hated it when everyone said it was a must read.
    This may be the only comic story I truely hate...

Of course its not that bad. But the "sheeplesk" response from everyone proclaiming this is anything but average... it comes off cultish in the bad way.

This coming from a gigantic Morrison fan. Hated the art though.

Ultimately the Animated film very much redeemed this story for me. Enjoyed the film... the book had some excesses, like the bizarro section...

Fans of superman really need to stop pronouncing this in union as this great work, use your own tastes and list some books more deserving and pick some from the actual continuity rather then always pointing to a mini series

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    To be fair, few fans acclaim A DEATH IN THE FAMILY as a great story. It's certainly an *important* one in BATMAN history, but I've never really seen it singled out for praise as a story, apart from its historical significance.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    That's what I was told when I posted not liking it as a Controversial Opinion. Bad continuity, some contrived events, and a plothole you could drive a truck through.

Few of the "classic" stories appeal to me - they almost all have big, depressing central events and horrible things happening to pre-existing characters. Dark is loved, but it's not my taste. More variable runs get praised.

The Green Lantern/Green Arrow run.
    I didn't read much of that. And I like bronze-age Ollie. And I don't mind politics or social commentary a bit. But it was just so anvil-like. I'm "wrap the moral tale up in an entertaining story" whereas some are more afterschool special - not entertaining. Entertainment is priority for me. But I will also admit that when I was still a kid, I liked Captain Planet. I expect I'd find it similarly extreme and annoying today. Even in my teens I still like some of it. But I guess the older I get, the less I like being preached to, even when I agree with the messaging.

I love Superman but I did not care for the Death story, at all. I mean the fight is cool but it's not something I rank very highly.
    I liked it overall, but it's not amazing to me. The emotional aftermath - some of it I like and some I don't. Same with Reign. But I did read it years later and in one sitting - I think that impacts perception. I started reading comics when Reed Richards was dead. Everyone knew he wouldn't stay dead. Never in my comic reading experience was death final. And I knew Superman's wasn't (though I expect many fans did, too), and that hampers emotional impact. But you still get to see other characters react like it's forever, and with enough time and attention to draw out feeling from the audience, I guess. The advantage of reading after it's all finished is that I'm not annoyed/impatient the same way. With more recent deaths reading real-time, I'm all "yeah, yeah, yeah, call me when my character is back" - it's irritating because I'm waiting for what know (or think I know) will happen. And would have been moreso, I'm sure, if I'd had to read a year of Superman comics with no Superman. No waiting removes some frustration, though obviously it also removes the mystery and speculation of trying to figure out who the new players are and deal with plots that way. I know I get a lot less disappointed as what I perceive as crappy plot/character turns when I binge watch a show v. when I watched it read time and speculated and had hopes for what came next and such. The same probably applies here - more willingness/ability to just take the good and ignore the bad than when you follow real-time and get invested (particularly the case when plot resolution ends up making no sense after you spent months trying to figure out clues).

Quote Originally Posted by tib2d2 View Post
    On the Marvel side, it was the Kree/Skrull War. Didn't get that at all!

On the DC side its Gaiman's Sandman. Besides the very unique artwork, I didn't get the appeal at all.
    Agreed about Kree/Skrull. I picked up the trade and it was a bit lackluster. Same with Korvac saga.

On DC side, I hate Mister Miracle with a passion. So boring and not funny when it tried to be.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Incredible Member

Ganthet's Tale. Some fun moments, but I see it praised as one of the greatest GL stories of all time (sometimes even at the top) and I'm like "really? why?"

There's a couple other stories I find overrated (Kingdom Come at the top of the list), but I get why other people consider them so good. I understand the hype, even if I may disagree. Not so much with Ganthet's Tale.

Pretty much anything by Tom Taylor but especially Injustice. I find the story banal and mind numbing in how utterly braindead it is, just Taylor writing the dumbest f****** deaths he possibly can, Harley Sue being everyone’s wacky pal and getting off from nuking a city with nary a slap on the wrist, everything about how WW is portrayed, the amount of Batwanking, it’s just an awful story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Menacer View Post
    This may be the only comic story I truely hate...

Of course its not that bad. But the "sheeplesk" response from everyone proclaiming this is anything but average... it comes off cultish in the bad way.

This coming from a gigantic Morrison fan. Hated the art though.

Ultimately the Animated film very much redeemed this story for me. Enjoyed the film... the book had some excesses, like the bizarro section...

Fans of superman really need to stop pronouncing this in union as this great work, use your own tastes and list some books more deserving and pick some from the actual continuity rather then always pointing to a mini series
    Are you trying to pick a fight or something? It’s one thing to not like something, it’s another to say everyone who does like what you don’t is wrong and needs to get taste. The reason most of us don’t point to main continuity stuff is DC is constantly dicking around with continuity, taking stuff in and out of canon. None of Superman’s comic origins even work for the mainline guy right now. My favorite run is Morrison Action and that might as well be an Elseworld now.