Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheday View Post
    I don't think Hal paid for blowing up the planes in any way. Did he turn in his ring and allow himself to be arrested and answer for what he did. Maybe he just went on to blow up a Panned Parenthood building to protest abortion...
    Well, Carol knew his address...

The Rebirth Superman title. Despite my hatred of Jon, the first half of it I can admit had some good writing, and it always had good art. But the second half writing went to pot, and it gets treated like some sort of all-time run and I don't think its anywhere close to a top 10.

Batman Year One. Look, I'm not saying its bad. Its in fact very good. But its aging. Its not so good that it can't ever be supplanted as a canon origin for Batman. But that's the way its been treated for pretty much my entire lifetime.

Injustice. I like dystopian settings. I'm over twisted evil versions of the characters themselves.

DCeased. I mean, Its DCU meets The Walking Dead. Congratulations on being yet something else to try and riff off the latter's success.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-10-2021 at 12:28 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I think it is often that I find "best thing ever" to be not as good as claimed, but Hush probably has worst quality/hype ratio for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I find Kingdom Come and Action Comics #775 to be strawmannish and immature takes on lethal force and an insecure overreaction in defense of Superman.
    I think this might be one of the main reasons why Superman keeps struggling - writers are usually not capable of providing a solid response to various anti-Superman takes.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It's believable to me that Bruce would have a higher opinion of Clark than he does himself.
    I totally agree with that.

But that line is really something else.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Batman also acts like he never kissed a girl before. "She...kissed me...." he thought as he brooded over the train.
    Lmao, yes. Like a 14 year old being kissed for the first time by the popular cheerleader. So weird.

Retired

I find it ironic that so many posters don't understand the "hype" on a message board. If you don't understand something, all you have to do is ask. You have a resource at your finger tips and you're not using it.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hareluyafan1 View Post
    I haven't read that line but personally I like that. If you look at history, the most advanced societies are always those that have access to a trade network. Societies that develop in isolation do not become super-advanced, they stagnate and regress.

Just my opinion of course.
    Realistically, yes.

But the society in question is a race of immortal women on a magical island created for them by Aphrodite (if not all the Olympian goddesses), who have access to a device that allows them to see progress in the outside world as well as the future.

Comparisons to real world isolated societies are always on shaky ground in this case because nothing like that exists or ever will exist. And it's not like we read superhero stories for realism anyway

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Injustice. I like dystopian settings. I'm over twisted evil versions of the characters themselves.
    I think a big reason why people like the injustice comic is that most characters in tbhat comic felt way more like their proper classic version, than the ones we had in the main continuity at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    I think a big reason why people like the injustice comic is that most characters in tbhat comic felt way more like their proper classic version, than the ones we had in the main continuity at that time.
    I don't really see where that was true aside from characters like Green Arrow, Black Canary, and Batman...the whole appeal is characters seemingly acting out of character, like Superman and Wonder Woman, to drive the story.

Yes, “I’ll be whatever Superman needs me to be” certainly feels like the most Wonder Woman thing that was being published at time.

Worst Wonder Woman writer all things considered when looking at the times Taylor writes her.
    Last edited by Gaius; 01-10-2021 at 02:28 PM.

Just to name of few:
    Kingdom Come
    All Star Superman
    Identity Crisis
    Final Crisis
    Watchman
    Batman: Year One

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

How are Superman and Wonder Woman behaving like their "proper" selves?

Superman Secret Identity by Kurt Busiek

Thought there was at least 2 enormous plot holes, among other “issues”...regard it as an okay story but never really understood why so many people really rate it.
    Last edited by JackDaw; 01-10-2021 at 02:29 PM.

Man, my expirience with Hush online was really different, most people that talked me about it, mocked the story, especially Tommy's characther. As for the story itself, i enjoy it, but no way in hell i'm putting it in a "Batman stories that you should read" list.

As for the main thread....i guest that Morrison's Action, the first ten issues are pretty good, very fun even. But after that, it just lost me. Also AC 775...hasn't aged very well either.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I tend to run hot and cold on it myself. Right now I'm back to favoring it, and I think overall I consider it a top 5 run for WW. And it's certainly the best thing she had had in a long time when it came about.

The major things I don't like are taking away the Amazons technological advancements, greatly reducing Steve and Etta (and changing them and their roles in the process) and its placement in the timeline and how that impacted JL and especially Donna. For everything else in the run, I either really like/love it or can at least roll with the changes, but those three are a hard pass for me.
    That's more editorials fault than Perez's. It should have been an Year One type story. Setting the story in the then 'present' hurt the Hawks as well.

I don't think anyone considers this a classic.
    I checked it out back in the early 'aughts because some reviewers talked about it like it was some lost gem of the Batman comics. A decision I deeply regret.