Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

I find Kingdom Come and Action Comics #775 to be strawmannish and immature takes on lethal force and an insecure overreaction in defense of Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Pretty much anything by Tom Taylor but especially Injustice. I find the story banal and mind numbing in how utterly braindead it is, just Taylor writing the dumbest f****** deaths he possibly can, Harley Sue being everyone’s wacky pal and getting off from nuking a city with nary a slap on the wrist, everything about how WW is portrayed, the amount of Batwanking, it’s just an awful story.

Are you trying to pick a fight or something? It’s one thing to not like something, it’s another to say everyone who does like what you don’t is wrong and needs to get taste. The reason most of us don’t point to main continuity stuff is DC is constantly dicking around with continuity, taking stuff in and out of canon. None of Superman’s comic origins even work for the mainline guy right now. My favorite run is Morrison Action and that might as well be an Elseworld now.
    No definitely not interested in a fight.

Personal things don't need to be in continuity or not to matter... by that token All Star is by default not in continuity...

As a new reader, back in 2016 (tho I'd read as a child) its hugely pointless to get hundreds of long time fans point to just one book ...

Itd be like if you asked whats a great 90s film friends. And we all just said the Titanic, or Forrest Gump..

Not to take away from either of the films... but as someone wanting to explore 90s films getting only 1 recommendations means you essentally get no recommendations...

You guys are all so well read. Dig deeper and dont recommend the default All Star...

Ultimately if you love this book all the power to you... if your recommendations is genuine then fine...

I Agree Morrisons Action is great

Over a long enough period of time all the stories get retconned or reboot... reading a supergirl story from the 80s has no baring on a 90s or 00s or 2020 story.

Wouldnt keep me from recommending good books

Also the average entry level reader who asks "recommend good Superman stories"

Likely couldnt care less about continuity. Arguably continuity exists for a given run for however long a writer is on the book... and I'd argue New52 Superman Morrison has a pretty good though line right up til Bendis, sure there is the Final Days story so that Superman dies but then Convergence, Rebirth, and eventually the Reborn merging is a solid 25 Volume run, its not perfect but enough sticks that it creates some semblance of continuity... but characters change and evolve.

Any case.
    No I'm not trying to be a dick... typing on my phone rather then say using a laptop or desktop does cause me to write more abruptly and less tactfully.

Preacher. I've tried to get through it three times and actually made it to the thirties once.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Smile

Mark Andreyko's Manhunter

Instead of embracing the history of the Manhunter mantle, Mark Andreyko proceeds to kill every Manhunter except Oate Spencer and Mark Shaw in a gratuitous fashion.

Character assassination of Mark Shaw.

Ruins the character of Chase by making Dr. Trap just a generic supervillain.

Awful humor throughout with pop cultural refrences that date the book in the worst way possible.

There was some good moments, but man, Manhunter is bad. It ranks up there with Countdown and Heroes in Crisis for me.
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 01-08-2021 at 07:57 PM.

Batman: Year Two.

Picked it up after hearing about how it influenced Mask of the Phantasm and....ugh. I can see why O'Neill decided to chuck this into the non-continuity bin.

Morrison's Batman run. I run hot or cold on parts of this run. I wasn't a fan of Batman RIP but despite my initial skepticism, I ended up enjoying Batman Inc.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan58 View Post
    Ganthet's Tale. Some fun moments, but I see it praised as one of the greatest GL stories of all time (sometimes even at the top) and I'm like "really? why?"

There's a couple other stories I find overrated (Kingdom Come at the top of the list), but I get why other people consider them so good. I understand the hype, even if I may disagree. Not so much with Ganthet's Tale.
    Interesting. I don't think even heard "Ganthet's Tale" mentioned in 20+ years. At the time, I thought it was great but seemed to fly under the radar of many. I'd have thought Byrne on GL would've made a bigger splash, but alas...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Preacher. I've tried to get through it three times and actually made it to the thirties once.
    Ennis is either utterly fantastic or unbelievably awful for me. I really enjoyed Preacher but it’s a work that feels very 00’s to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Hmm, nothing like that yet... The closest one is A Death in The Family, which I understand the hype, but burst out laughing at Iranian Ambassador Joker.

Like I wasn't that sad because this was the only Jason story I read at the time, so I didn't know him... I hate his mother though... but any proper emotion I had was just gone the moment I saw Joker in a... keffiyeh? It's such an absurd visual right next to the seriousness of Batman trying to holding himself back not to beat up Joker.

I acknowledge that part of the story, but any seriousness I felt was just gone.
    As ridiculous as the Joker thing at the tail end is, I did like the emotional core of Bruce and Jason's journey and how Batman was brought to the brink of killing Joker and how that collided with Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    Agreed about Kree/Skrull. I picked up the trade and it was a bit lackluster. Same with Korvac saga.

On DC side, I hate Mister Miracle with a passion. So boring and not funny when it tried to be.
    King's title or another run of Mister Miracle ?

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    King's title or another run of Mister Miracle ?
    King's run.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Green Arrow: Year One

It seems every other Green Arrow story I've read is better than that.

Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Ennis is either utterly fantastic or unbelievably awful for me. I really enjoyed Preacher but it’s a work that feels very 00’s to be honest.
    How do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    King's run.
    I haven't read it since it was released, but as far as I remember, it was mostly the end which was a little disappointing. But it's veer quite away from traditional super-hero stories soit's natural that not everyone would like it. it is special, after all !

Not really a classic but I do not get the hype for Court/ Night of the Owls. It has cool art and aesthetic, and the beginning with the mystery was intriguing, and the Labyrinth is cool, but the story itself is literally nothing. I liked Zero Year much more and yet people seemed to find it weaker.