Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    They really didn't, though that may be down to different mediums and Conroy having different inflections.

Loeb's Bruce just reads as monotonous.
    He was stoic but he never struck me as emotionless.
    It wasn't just Tommy. He had the same flat "tone" to the dialogue when talking about everyone. Selina, Dick, Clark. etc.
    I guess I read a little more emotion in the narration, especially when he was talking about those characters because I feel like it was readily apparently how he felt about them and each in a unique way from the other.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

"Deep down, Clark's essentially a good person... and deep down, I'm not."

That was some teenage fanfic **** man.

Batman also acts like he never kissed a girl before. "She...kissed me...." he thought as he brooded over the train.

Hush is something that I've soured on over the years. I loved it when it first came out and it was my gateway to mainstream Batman comics after years of watching DCAU and reading it's tie in comics. The story doesn't make much sense. There are logical errors everywhere. The omission of Cass Cain and the disrespect to Lady Shiva is glaring considering what Peter Shikonda accused him of on the Daredevil set.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post

It's believable to me that Bruce would have a higher opinion of Clark than he does himself.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Batman also acts like he never kissed a girl before. "She...kissed me...." he thought as he brooded over the train.

Hush is something that I've soured on over the years. I loved it when it first came out and it was my gateway to mainstream Batman comics after years of watching DCAU and reading it's tie in comics. The story doesn't make much sense. There are logical errors everywhere. The omission of Cass Cain and the disrespect to Lady Shiva is glaring considering what Peter Shikonda accused him of on the Daredevil set.
    Still probably the source of one of the most iconic Batman and Catwoman kisses.

Was Cass even available to use back then? I maybe forgetting the exact timeline but wasn't it around when she was turned evil or unused?

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It's believable to me that Bruce would have a higher opinion of Clark than he does himself.

Was Cass even available to use back then? I maybe forgetting the exact timeline but wasn't it around when she was turned evil or unused?
    No this was way before. Hush > Under The Red Hood > Infinite Crisis > One Year Later (evil Cass)

The Batgirl series is still running.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    They really didn't, though that may be down to different mediums and Conroy having different inflections.

Loeb's Bruce just reads as monotonous.

It wasn't just Tommy. He had the same flat "tone" to the dialogue when talking about everyone. Selina, Dick, Clark. etc.
    Yeah it's the flat Batman Barritone that Kevin Conroy uses when he's doing a Bat-narration, except almost all the time.

Haven't read it in a while so the only time I remember when his voice feels light was "thanks Alfred" when he asked him to use the opera as a chance to take a break, and "Why did you say that?!" when Catwoman said "hush"

In Superbat, it's when he exasperatedly asked "Clark... what the hell is good supervillain"
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 01-10-2021 at 01:10 AM.

Hard-Traveling Heroes is up there and Scott Snyder's Batman run comes to mind as well. I don't see what's classic about the latter at all.

Incredible Member

Hard Travellin Heroes was just cool as f.

Is it clunky to read now? sure

But its a real rock and roll book - kicked the doors down. It's the spirit of that book I love - its just full of heart.

If you like to see one hero uncharacteristically portrayed as an establishment bootlicker so the writer can use the other hero as his personal political mouthpiece to browbeat and berate the former, be my guest. That story did so much damage to Hal Jordan's character for no reason at all.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post

Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, but I'd say that's down to the art and less the story and dialogue surrounding it.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post

Yes, Cass being absent really stands out since everyone else in the Bat-Family at that time makes an appearance.

Part of the "mystery" (lol) even involves friggin Harold of all people. All the Robins being present (including Jason having at least a presence) but only Oracle and no Cass is glaring.

Better than them screwing on the rooftops to me. That a shift in their cat-and-mouse game could be meaningful and dramatic works for me, even if a bit over done. I don't care for the ship ever in casual recreational sexual context (casual recreational criminal and vigilante sense is fine). I like a history and build up and therefore actual emotions before they actually hook up. I'm fine with other certain ships going that way, though. Just not ones where they actually had a lot of history in the comics before anything actually really happened between them.

Boisterously Confused

Perez's 1986 relaunch of Wonder Woman. His art was, as always, beautiful, and he told some really good stories in it. However, I never could get comfortable with the way he turned the Amazons into Olympian puppets and technologically stranded them in the bronze age.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    No this was way before. Hush > Under The Red Hood > Infinite Crisis > One Year Later (evil Cass)

The Batgirl series is still running.
    It's kind of ironic that Batgirl was in the animated adaption in place of Huntress while the actual Batgirl at the time wasn't in the comic version.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    If you like to see one hero uncharacteristically portrayed as an establishment bootlicker so the writer can use the other hero as his personal political mouthpiece to browbeat and berate the former, be my guest. That story did so much damage to Hal Jordan's character for no reason at all.
    That moment where Hal blows up all the planes and then says "bill me" is still one of my favorite Hal moments.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Better than them screwing on the rooftops to me. That a shift in their cat-and-mouse game could be meaningful and dramatic works for me, even if a bit over done. I don't care for the ship ever in casual recreational sexual context (casual recreational criminal and vigilante sense is fine). I like a history and build up and therefore actual emotions before they actually hook up. I'm fine with other certain ships going that way, though. Just not ones where they actually had a lot of history in the comics before anything actually really happened between them.
    Maybe I'm too normal to understand the appeal of rooftop sex. You're just naked on a cold, hard, floor with the outside air blowing on you...although maybe that helps set the mood, I dunno.

Maybe there's something about having sex in skintight costumes that helps...

Mighty Member

I don't think Hal paid for blowing up the planes in any way. Did he turn in his ring and allow himself to be arrested and answer for what he did. Maybe he just went on to blow up a Panned Parenthood building to protest abortion...

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Perez's 1986 relaunch of Wonder Woman. His art was, as always, beautiful, and he told some really good stories in it. However, I never could get comfortable with the way he turned the Amazons into Olympian puppets and technologically stranded them in the bronze age.
    I tend to run hot and cold on it myself. Right now I'm back to favoring it, and I think overall I consider it a top 5 run for WW. And it's certainly the best thing she had had in a long time when it came about.

The major things I don't like are taking away the Amazons technological advancements, greatly reducing Steve and Etta (and changing them and their roles in the process) and its placement in the timeline and how that impacted JL and especially Donna. For everything else in the run, I either really like/love it or can at least roll with the changes, but those three are a hard pass for me.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02
    The major things I don't like are taking away the Amazons technological advancements,
    I haven't read that line but personally I like that. If you look at history, the most advanced societies are always those that have access to a trade network. Societies that develop in isolation do not become super-advanced, they stagnate and regress.

Just my opinion of course.