Page 39 of 42 FirstFirst ... 293536373839404142 LastLast

This is a ten out of ten starter for me and it's not even close.

Astonishing Member

I've seen a reviewer remark how Apocalypse could have been a better opponent for Nightcrawler when it comes to the fighting over the "souls" of mutants, which makes me wonder if that was actualy the original plan all along, but then Ten of Swords and it's resolution overruled it and threw a wrench into the whole thing perhaps.

Considering how X-men #7 sets up the whole "Nightcrawler's new search for a mutant religion", in contrast to Apocalypse becoming a foundation of the quasi-religios institution of Krakoa and the cover features Apocalypse shattering a church window with Nightcawler on it (an image the first Way of X cover seems to reference to), it really would have made sense.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    I've seen a reviewer remark how Apocalypse could have been a better opponent for Nightcrawler when it comes to the fighting over the "souls" of mutants, which makes me wonder if that was actualy the original plan all along, but then Ten of Swords and it's resolution overruled it and threw a wrench into the whole thing perhaps.

Considering how X-men #7 sets up the whole "Nightcrawler's new search for a mutant religion", in contrast to Apocalypse becoming a foundation of the quasi-religios institution of Krakoa and the cover features Apocalypse shattering a church window with Nightcawler on it (an image the first Way of X cover seems to reference to), it really would have made sense.
    Possibly. That could have been an idea that floated around for a bit but like you said plans may have changed plus I also think Exodus would make for a better candidate.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    Possibly. That could have been an idea that floated around for a bit but like you said plans may have changed plus I also think Exodus would make for a better candidate.
    Considering how he is allready working on indoctrinating children into believing and seeing things according to his personal vision of how things around Krakoa should be understood, seemingly with no opposition so far because of "mutant culture" (i'm getting reminded of the Morlocks' pseudo-mystical "upworld vs. underworld" dynamic that warped their children's understanding of how the world actualy worked), is similar an archaic person from a different time, has an important position and has enough charisma to convince people's minds towards his views, he would certainly make the next best opponent to Nightcrawler and a good alternative to Apocalypse in that regard. Though perhaps that's still going to happen.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Considering how he is allready working on indoctrinating children into believing and seeing things according to his personal vision of how things around Krakoa should be understood, seemingly with no opposition so far because of "mutant culture" (i'm getting reminded of the Morlocks' pseudo-mystical "upworld vs. underworld" dynamic that warped their children's understanding of how the world actualy worked), is similar an archaic person from a different time, has an important position and has enough charisma to convince people's minds towards his views, he would certainly make the next best opponent to Nightcrawler and a good alternative to Apocalypse in that regard. Though perhaps that's still going to happen.
    Yup agree with everything you said.

I was having a hard time formulating how this book would work in my mind but it was really good and tackles quilte a bit of subjects people have been clamoring for. The colors are fanastic as well. 10/10 for sure.

I don't think i would believe the view point of another character in this book. Kurt needs to be here for me.
    Last edited by jwatson; 04-21-2021 at 05:24 AM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Kurt was asking the question I’ve been dying to ask, “Does this (The Crucible) make us truly any different than the humans we claim to be superior to?”. Also Magneto is drifting back to bad habits. Love the old face we get to see
    Last edited by Covetous_One; 04-21-2021 at 06:26 AM.
    “There is no defense against the Scarlet Witch's HEX!

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Wait is this already out? I thought this was due in May

Amazing how much this book echoes the debates that have been rampaging across this forum for months. I think this section of the fandom, at least, will be glad to finally have these questions addressed in a story.

I like the balance of Kurt having doubts, but also being concerned that his doubts may be rooted in a defunct mode-of-thought. He doesn't want to be Seymour Skinner saying "no, it's the children who are wrong".
    Last edited by Frobisher; 04-21-2021 at 06:32 AM.

I really thought Exodus would be part of this book. Weird that they have set him up so many times and still haven't really used him much...

How TF did I never realized this releases today??? This was one of the books I'm most interested in. Now I gotta wait till my shift is done ☹️

I liked it though something about Magneto shitting on God didn't really sit right with me it's not unexpected but I did feel uncomfortable. Also this showed how barbarically primitive the Crucible really is for people who go around preaching superiority it's a bad look.
    Last edited by Journey; 04-21-2021 at 07:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    I really thought Exodus would be part of this book. Weird that they have set him up so many times and still haven't really used him much...
    I mean, we do SEE him, so he's still being set up for stuff.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Amazing how much this book echoes the debates that have been rampaging across this forum for months. I think this section of the fandom, at least, will be glad to finally have these questions addressed in a story.

I like the balance of Kurt having doubts, but also being concerned that his doubts may be rooted in a defunct mode-of-thought. He doesn't want to be Seymour Skinner saying "no, it's the children who are wrong".
    Definetly good to see it adressed that way and written by an experienced writer who has dealt with these themes in his work before, even if the outcome of Kurt's philosophical and religios quest might not make every reader happy, if it finds an end at all (the current status quo could end before he even finds temporary answers).

The doubt aspect is especialy good, since the old isn't always worse and the new isn't always better, even if steady progress is the desirable situation.

Thinking about it, i'm kind of reminded to the industrial revolution and how it changed the affected societies in both good and bad ways. Which might be especialy fitting seeing how "mutant technology" is granting them all these wonderfull and impressive new tools.

For example, for all the medical breakthroughs made at the time, which improved the quality of life for many humans over time, they also produced horrible treatments under the idea of "new = better", started the industrial scale production of highly problematic drugs, resulted in usefull treatments being dismissed as unscientific or wrong because they weren't created by the professors and scientist and lead to many ideas and theories which were taken as truth but only harmed people in the long run.

The almost casual treatment of dying and the method by which is it's "reversed" certainly reminds me to those medical treatments or drugs so easily and rapidly applied while ignorant or unaware of it's longtime effects.

PS: I still think it would be interesting to have some mutants who downright refuse the chance of being brought back what ever it's out of personal believes or reasonable doubts in the method.
    Last edited by Grunty; 04-21-2021 at 08:06 AM.

Avoiding spoilers but these reactions do make it seem like this book is My ****