Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

the Red X mystery was interesting at first but I feel it hasn't had enough mystique to justify it taking this long. the flashback was interesting but other than that the mystery hasn't been particularly compelling and Red X hasn't really done anything super exciting or overly interesting. at this point I dont really care about the speculation, every theory/guess just feels like a shot in the dark anyway, I just want to know who it is and so they can move on to something else. It was a gamble to try and recreate the years worth of mystique of the TV version, I really feel they shoulda revealed his identity to the audience earlier. it would've let's us see the mystery from both sides and really grow to appreciate who this Red X is as a character.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 10-07-2021 at 01:33 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    the Red X mystery was interesting at first but I feel it's had enough mystique to justify it taking this long. the flashback was interesting but other than that the mystery hasn't been particularly compelling and Red X hasn't really done anything super exciting or overly interesting. at this point I dont really care about the speculation, every theory/guess just feels like a shot in the dark anyway, I just want to know who it is and so they can move on to something else. It was a gamble to try and recreate the years worth of mystique of the TV version, I really feel they shoulda revealed his identity to the audience earlier. it would've let's us see the mystery from both sides and really grow to appreciate who this Red X is as a character.
    I've always said that Red X was introduced too late. The mystery is being drawn out because Titans Academy has nothing else going for it.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    I've always said that Red X was introduced too late. The mystery is being drawn out because Titans Academy has nothing else going for it.
    I don’t know I wish we could see the titans mentoring thease kids, letting them shadow on missions

Dane is intresting to me, I hope he doesn’t vanish after this

The big appeal of Red X is the mystery. I think even Sheridan said that he would rather not reveal who Red X is but he can't do that after setting it up. Once you reveal it then the story is kind of over which is probably why they dragged it out for so long, and even mentioned there being other Red X characters to probably keep the mystery alive in some form.

This is probably because I first started reading comics in the 90s with X-Men, but I was trying to figure out how to make Red X into a lasting character. One idea kept coming back to me, where some will like and hate it probably, but it is is to make Red X the future son of Dick and Barbara that came back in time to try and stop or save someone. A bit like a Cable from X-Men, so somewhat cliché, and he just took on the Red X identity to hide himself or something. It would sort of fit with how they are tying the identity to Dick in the comics, and you give the character a lot of weight given how established Dick and Barbara are. So it helps prevent the character from getting written out. Plus he would have the training and skills of Dick, and then the tech knowledge and maybe red hair from Babs which would fit with the red in the Red X name. Could call him Jim Grayson after Babs' dad maybe if you want to build more connections, and I guess he could be that mentee that Dick trains that many Nightwing fans want him to have too. Just a lot of things you could do with a set up like that probably.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    The big appeal of Red X is the mystery. I think even Sheridan said that he would rather not reveal who Red X is but he can't do that after setting it up. Once you reveal it then the story is kind of over which is probably why they dragged it out for so long, and even mentioned there being other Red X characters to probably keep the mystery alive in some form.

This is probably because I first started reading comics in the 90s with X-Men, but I was trying to figure out how to make Red X into a lasting character. One idea kept coming back to me, where some will like and hate it probably, but it is is to make Red X the future son of Dick and Barbara that came back in time to try and stop or save someone. A bit like a Cable from X-Men, so somewhat cliché, and he just took on the Red X identity to hide himself or something. It would sort of fit with how they are tying the identity to Dick in the comics, and you give the character a lot of weight given how established Dick and Barbara are. So it helps prevent the character from getting written out. Plus he would have the training and skills of Dick, and then the tech knowledge and maybe red hair from Babs which would fit with the red in the Red X name. Could call him Jim Grayson after Babs' dad maybe if you want to build more connections, and I guess he could be that mentee that Dick trains that many Nightwing fans want him to have too. Just a lot of things you could do with a set up like that probably.
    I dunno about that, feels like the only thing achieved would be we escalating a bitter, ongoing ship war.

The 'kid from the future' plotline isn't something I'm fond of and the only time I cared about a character introduced that way was Cir El(technically she wasn't a kid from the future). She needs to be brought back.

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    I dunno about that, feels like the only thing achieved would be we escalating a bitter, ongoing ship war.

The 'kid from the future' plotline isn't something I'm fond of and the only time I cared about a character introduced that way was Cir El(technically she wasn't a kid from the future). She needs to be brought back.
    I don't think it would really change the shipping war stuff from what it already is. Not like Dick is getting married or something, but the idea is about creating a new character for the Red X identity that has the best chance to stick around and also giving that character strong ties to Dick, which it seems like something they want to do.