Page 71 of 80 FirstFirst ... 2161676869707172737475 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,065 of 1187

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    It is only a matter of time before Crunchyroll becomes the sole service by which to access Anime outside of Japan. Sony has a stranglehold on the overseas industry.
    There will still be Netflix and Disney/Hulu

Incredible Member

Additional statement from HiDive to ANN.

“In light of the strong demand for anime content around the world, we are constantly evaluating the HIDIVEbusiness and are strategically focusing our operations on the fast-growing global markets that represent approximately 98 percent of our current customer base. This move will unfortunately result in the disruption of service for some customers outside of our major markets. We are working directly withthose customers to manage through this transition.”
    https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...ber-14/.204404

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    American antitrust likely won't care because they will think that cartoons have an entire network named after them. I don't think the authorities will differentiate between western animation and foreign stuff.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    But face facts the vast majority of Anime will be found exclusively on Crunchyroll only those that become super popular will also appear on Netflix, etc (as some do now). Crunchyroll will have by a conservative estimate an 80% plus market share of all new Anime in the years to come.
    Last edited by Celgress; 11-15-2023 at 08:33 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    American antitrust likely won't care because they will think that cartoons have an entire network named after them. I don't think the authorities will differentiate between western animation and foreign stuff.
    sad, but true
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Anyone here know if there is any truth about their going to be a Terminator anime in the near future?

Netflix has an ad for it.

Kind of wonder if Netflix stuff can be considered "anime" in the traditional sense (Made mostly in Japan with Japanese creators, principally for a Japanese audience, at least at first although I'm pretty sure some Japanese studios have Western fans in mind-The continuation of "Dragonball" certainly is helped by international popularity). Cyberpunk I think was animated by Trigger so it counts mostly but I think the Castlevanias are mostly made in the US with American writers and animators, just done in an anime 'style'.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 11-16-2023 at 10:33 AM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Can I ask for some help to find some anime (in the UK) with the primary character being a gay male?

I have been trying to watch LGBT+ anime after finishing Demon Slayer (NOT LGBT+ but very vague, shall we say, which I like) on Netflix (UK), and it's not that easy. Either I don't like the art (Devilman Crybaby), the gay love isn't important OR it's so coded you wonder if it was intended or just wishful thinking (Tiger and Bunny... though it was wonderful). Most just aren't up to scratch. I finished Banana Fish and really enjoyed that. BUT Heaven Official's Blessing is GORGEOUS! Oh how I loved this series, what a treat. Wonderful story telling, complex characters, evolving plot, beautifully drawn, it's glorious. So a series like this would be great.

Do you have any recommendations? I have Netflix, Disney, Paramount+ and NowTV/AppleTV. So ideally it would be on those. Thank-you in advance.

"We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

The character isn't male but Gundam: Witch From Mercury has LGBT leads.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Can I ask for some help to find some anime (in the UK) with the primary character being a gay male?

I have been trying to watch LGBT+ anime after finishing Demon Slayer (NOT LGBT+ but very vague, shall we say, which I like) on Netflix (UK), and it's not that easy. Either I don't like the art (Devilman Crybaby), the gay love isn't important OR it's so coded you wonder if it was intended or just wishful thinking (Tiger and Bunny... though it was wonderful). Most just aren't up to scratch. I finished Banana Fish and really enjoyed that. BUT Heaven Official's Blessing is GORGEOUS! Oh how I loved this series, what a treat. Wonderful story telling, complex characters, evolving plot, beautifully drawn, it's glorious. So a series like this would be great.

Do you have any recommendations? I have Netflix, Disney, Paramount+ and NowTV/AppleTV. So ideally it would be on those. Thank-you in advance.

It kinda depends if you want to go into BL/Yaoi or not. Animes with gay/bi/mlm main characters that aren't BL are rare. If you don't know BL stands for "Boys' Love", and the majority of it are like, slice of life romances. There's definetely good ones but the "genre" has a reputation of often being too stereotypical, cliche and/or fetishized.

I can only think of Yuri on Ice and No. 6 for animes that aren't BL but have gay main characters. And Given is a BL that I love and doesn't fall into most of the questionable tropes and cliches of other BLs, and deals with a a certain tough subject matter. I'm not sure about the UK but where I live those are streaming for free on Crunchyroll (Crunchyroll has a weird format where like half the stuff is locked for subscribers and the other is free for everyone, but I think it's mostly stuff that's currently airing that are locked).

Finished Pluto on Netflix. That was an amazing series, movie quality really.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Mo Dao Zu Shi (Grandmaster of Demonic Cultivation) has a similar vibe to Heaven Official's Blessing. I think it's avaliable on YouTube.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    The character isn't male but Gundam: Witch From Mercury has LGBT leads.
    Thank-you for this; I've added it to my list as I just watched Mobile Suit Gundam I, and I'm now curious. Though yes, alas, as it's not a male lead, I'm less all guns blazing excited.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    It kinda depends if you want to go into BL/Yaoi or not. Animes with gay/bi/mlm main characters that aren't BL are rare. If you don't know BL stands for "Boys' Love", and the majority of it are like, slice of life romances. There's definetely good ones but the "genre" has a reputation of often being too stereotypical, cliche and/or fetishized.
    As in Yaoi? I don't mind romance stories, quite like them in-fact. Though yes I do like a bit of magic or sci-fi, if possible. Rather than JUST a modern day romance.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I can only think of Yuri on Ice and No. 6 for animes that aren't BL but have gay main characters.
    And Given is a BL that I love and doesn't fall into most of the questionable tropes and cliches of other BLs, and deals with a a certain tough subject matter. I'm not sure about the UK but where I live those are streaming for free on Crunchyroll (Crunchyroll has a weird format where like half the stuff is locked for subscribers and the other is free for everyone, but I think it's mostly stuff that's currently airing that are locked).
    I must give Crunchyroll another try, I found it so confusing to naviggate when I tried to watch the later series of Demon Slayer and gave up. I'll add Given and Yuri on Ice to the list. Sadly neither on normal streaming networks, boo!

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Mo Dao Zu Shi (Grandmaster of Demonic Cultivation) has a similar vibe to Heaven Official's Blessing. I think it's avaliable on YouTube.
    YOU! Good person, are a genius! I tried to watch the Untamed on Netflix, but the CGI was so poor and the acting not enjoyable, and this is literally that story. SUPER EXCITED!!! Thank-you thank-you! I assume it's like Heaven Official's Blessing in the sense it's never spelt out, but so obvious you know they are in love?
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

YOU! Good person, are a genius! I tried to watch the Untamed on Netflix, but the CGI was so poor and the acting not enjoyable, and this is literally that story. SUPER EXCITED!!! Thank-you thank-you! I assume it's like Heaven Official's Blessing in the sense it's never spelt out, but so obvious you know they are in love?
    Pretty much.

You can also try The Night Beyond the Tricornered Window. I haven't seen it myself, but apparently it's a supernatural thriller and the leads are at least heavily implied to be gay.

Sarazanmai is another one that has magic and gay characters (both main and secondary), but it's very...out there. It's very different from most BL-adjacent stuff.

[QUOTE=Kieran_Frost;6652693]Thank-you for this; I've added it to my list as I just watched Mobile Suit Gundam I, and I'm now curious. Though yes, alas, as it's not a male lead, I'm less all guns blazing excited.

One thing to keep in mind it's not the same continuity; a lot of the Gundam spin-offs after 1994 are set in their generally self-contained universes, although they often similar themes about war or repeat plot points (and of course the masked character). Although in this case, the "space war" plot is kind of a distant third to the main story which is REVOLUTIONARY GIRL UTENA (Who the writer/director is a fan of) with Shakesphere's THE TEMPEST (Literally-the names of a few of the Gundams and the main antagonist are direct from the story).

In other Gundam news they've announced that Silver Phantom (Announced along with the cg film Requiem for Vengeance) will be a VR movie. The font closely resembles F91 so some are wondering if they're doing the later UC timeframe (F91/Crossbone/Victory) which hasn't gotten much Gundam stuff apart from mangas and models.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 11-21-2023 at 10:06 AM.