Page 27 of 79 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930313777 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    So are Funimation and crunchyroll merging under the sony umbrella?
    They might keep the brands separate and just reap the money in from owning them. Either way, it seems sony's biggest competitor now is Netflix. What doesn't Sony have interest in? They have aniplex, crunchyroll, Funimation, even shares in the main distribution in Australia/NZ Madman Entertainment.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Awesome! Can't wait!! Totally looking forward to this!!! (https://i.imgur.com/csziCKM.mp4):

Watched them and the translation is still awkward in places. But having the original cast back for the last hurrah was glorious. Plus the whole Rebuild films are now consistent.

As for 3.0+1.0? It was cathartic to watch in a way. It was like catching up with good friends. Plus a weight was lifted in knowing it's over. But you aren't sad it's over, you know?

Gendo is one broken man.

Started watching it myself. The Paris opening was pretty spectacular. Plus kind of an interesting inversion of End of Evangelion's EVA-02 vs mass production Eva fight. Although these particular mass-production Evas are generally less spooky, more dronish and rely more on firepower than the Audrey IIish EOE ones.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    They might keep the brands separate and just reap the money in from owning them. Either way, it seems sony's biggest competitor now is Netflix. What doesn't Sony have interest in? They have aniplex, crunchyroll, Funimation, even shares in the main distribution in Australia/NZ Madman Entertainment.
    Makes sense. If CR and Funi were to combine into one service, that would mean losing a subscription income stream from when they were separate entities. No way Sony would go for that.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Finally watching Steins Gate, and that Okabe Rintarou guy... sorry, Hououin Kyoma is a fun insane character. Watched 5 episodes and I had more fun than I thought I would.

But it is a bit confusing at certain spots.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Finished watching the new Evangelion film. It's really quite spectacular although the big climactic battle of course goes all out on the Eva technobabble. It's definitely the anti-EOE although it still uses a fair amount of imagery from it.

My interpretation of the ending is kind of like the last SECRET WARS, all the apocalyptic stuff still happened (We still see for instance Kaji's "arks") but Shinji managed to be Infinity Gauntlet+Molecule man+Franklin Richards and fixed the damage, and some might still have some memories of what happened but it might be a bit vague or slightly rewritten.

Astonishing Member

My interpretation of the ending is kind of like the last SECRET WARS, all the apocalyptic stuff still happened (We still see for instance Kaji's "arks") but Shinji managed to be Infinity Gauntlet+Molecule man+Franklin Richards and fixed the damage, and some might still have some memories of what happened but it might be a bit vague or slightly rewritten.
    That was my interpretation as well. He rid the world of the Eva's and restored it to a degree. But Shinji even states his intentions that he won't revert things/do it over or have people come back (which alludes to both the comic adaption (the former) and the original series (the latter)). It's a reset. Hence it being called "Neon Genesis". It's why he still has the collar on.

The fact the last scene is at a train station is symbolic. Instead of getting on like the images of Kaworu or Rei etc do, Shinji doesn't. He instead leaves and runs out into the world. Before Shinji would have runaway and got onto a train to elsewhere, but here he chooses to stay.

I thought it was effective. In many ways, the film still addresses depression and the state of people who have it (or any form of trauma) by highlighting the fact you get caught in a cycle. Nothing changes unless you, yourself, want it to do so. You want happiness? Seek it. Make your own way in life. But do so for yourself, not for others around you.

The original series was very big on the above. But the Rebuilds also have a added message and it's indicative of where Anno is at in his life now: that of letting go. That's the beauty of Evangelion. It works on multiple levels - A commentary of depression, a commentary of Anno and his work, a deconstruction of mecha anime and it's character types, even a commentary on the state of fandom and the current anime landscape.

Incredible Member Robotech Master's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    . You want happiness? Seek it. Make your own way in life. But do so for yourself, not for others around you.
    I think a distinction of the Rebuild series is that it pulls away from this ultimately. You want happiness, then make other people happy. Don't concern yourself with what you'll get in return. One of the biggest differences in how Rebuild Shinji handles Instrumentality compared to original is that Rebuild Shinji doesn't really use the experience of instrumentality to heal himself or come to grand self realization; he brings closure to other people, even nearly at the cost of himself until Yui and Gendo intervened to be the catalysts instead.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotech Master View Post
    I think a distinction of the Rebuild series is that it pulls away from this ultimately. You want happiness, then make other people happy. Don't concern yourself with what you'll get in return. One of the biggest differences in how Rebuild Shinji handles Instrumentality compared to original is that Rebuild Shinji doesn't really use the experience of instrumentality to heal himself or come to grand self realization; he brings closure to other people, even nearly at the cost of himself until Yui and Gendo intervened to be the catalysts instead.
    Which was probably a hit at the criticisms he got for OG Shinji. It was interesting we got that reversal. Especially the analysis of Gendo himself.

The film seemed to kind of hint that Mari was somehow a colleague/contemporary of Ikari, Yui and Fuyutski but it wasn't elaborated on....maybe she's somehow been manipulating events all this time?

Astonishing Member

The film seemed to kind of hint that Mari was somehow a colleague/contemporary of Ikari, Yui and Fuyutski but it wasn't elaborated on....maybe she's somehow been manipulating events all this time?
    Sadamoto did a extra chapter after he completed the manga in 2013. In it he came up with his own interpretation of who Mari was (which he admitted was fan service) and she was indeed a contemporary alongside Yui and Kyoko under Fuyutsuki. She was initially jealous of Yui, but came to like her. Yui is the one who gave Mari her glasses and cut her hair into the style she has in the films.

Most like Anno added that scene/incorporated it to highlight it. Rebuild is littered with numerous callbacks and references to both the OG series, the two films and the manga itself. So the fact it is in there doesn't surprise me.

Sadamoto is praised for his designs, but Evangelion would have been a vastly different beast without his input (he convinced Anno to call it Evangelion, suggested the number of angels should be cut down from the intended 28 and suggested that the series should have a boy as the protagonist instead of the girl Anno wanted).

Always kind of found it funny how Sadamoto just openly admitted his Shinji design is pretty much just a male Nadia. (The "How to draw Shinji" manga omake)

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Started Kageki Shojo, a new slice of life show airing on Funimation. The premise is this: a failed AKB48 like idol with a pathological aversion to men, and a cheery, near six foot tall bumpkin from the sticks enroll in a prestigious, ultra competitive theatrical school and end up roommates as they follow their dreams of stardom on the stage. Watched the first two episodes Friday night and found it interesting.

Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 08-22-2021 at 03:00 PM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Lots of pics of the live action Cowboy Bebop. https://www.cbr.com/live-action-cowb...rate-anime-ed/