Page 80 of 80 FirstFirst ... 30707677787980
Results 1,186 to 1,195 of 1195

It's kind of a running joke with both women, Yor is a highly dangerous woman and generally caring person (In part because she had to take care of her brother, although he's barely in the movie) but kind of clueless when it comes to social interactions and relationships.

Nightfall is just obsessed as well.

Although the movie did explain a lot in the narration, it kind of left out that part of Yor's backstory and Nightfall.

The City Hunter netflix live-action Japanese movie came out today, getting mixed reviews.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

So overall the City Hunter movie was pretty good IMO. It's a bit small universe in that it ties in Kaori's origin (and possibly Ryo's as it's implied) with the main plot.

The story is very much kind of an origin story for the Ryo and Kaori partnership (With of course the bit about her brother/Ryo's partner dying, but a bit different from the anime's approach) their usual chemistry doesn't really start until the very end (The mallet curiously gets an origin story of sorts)

Ryo's characterization is pretty much spot on, but Kaori is somewhat way too serious for most of the movie. Film could've used more comic chemistry with Saeko like in the anime, she mainly just gives him information and little else.

There's no Umibuzo either, although one of the henchman does closely resemble them, although with hair.

The villains are ones that are mostly from the manga and didn't have much to do with the anime, although I'm pretty sure they were in the last movie (Which hasn't had an American release yet).

"Get Wild" is at the ending, it's a new version called continual by the same group TM Network although their vocals are understandably not as strong.

"Footsteps" (song used in many of the action sequences in the anime) actually shows up as an instrumental version with a bit more of a electronic sound during a big action scene.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 04-26-2024 at 05:39 PM.

Watching Frienen: Journey's End.

It's kind of a slow burn. The characters are also kind of very reserved emotionally so far compared to Delicious in Dungeon (another currently running quest anime) which, although it took an episode or two, really got fun IMO. The pacing reminds me a bit more of Vinland Saga season 2, although not quite as gory or detailed. Although Frienen does seem to smile or emote more when she's doing the actual work (apart from early morning stuff...)

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Imagine my utter bewilderment to learn that Detective Conan (Case Closed) is still going.

The manga started in 1994 and is currently at 110 volumes and over 1000 chapters.

The anime started in 1996 and is at 1,121 episodes. Eat your heart out, Onepiece.

Add in 27 films, and Detective Conan has an extraordinary 30 year legacy.

I intend to catch up by watching the most recent movie first. The Million Dollar Pentagram.

Last edited by Doctor Know; 05-03-2024 at 05:30 PM.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Seoul Station- Does it count as anime? I have no idea when it comes to anime and watched it because its a prequel to a certain movie. Is there something similar?

Anime-at least from an American perspective (From a Japanese perspective, the word "Anime" refers to all animation in Japan, not just their own-so say, Hanna Barbera, Looney Tunes, Disney etc would all be "Anime")-is generally Animation produced in Japan for generally a Japanese audience (So animation outsourced to Japan but meant for an American audience-as a lot of American TV animation is-probably doesn't count, just for example).

South Korean animation is generally known as "Aeni" so that's what Seoul station is. A lot of American animation is also outsourced to Korea and even some anime, but that also doesn't count.

On a side note/slightly OT,Although anime certainly can be watched by everyone but naturally the first audience is Japanese audiences although some creators probably do have overseas sales in mind. The revival/continuation of Dragonball, Pokemon in General, Miyazaki directing a ton of films in the early 00's was probably influenced by overseas success. The Gundam HGUC line originally was meant to only update support and enemy suits and leave the Gundams to the other lines; that got broken as soon as Gundam Wing started becoming a success in America.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; Yesterday at 08:48 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    The anime started in 1996 and is at 1,121 episodes. Eat your heart out, Onepiece.
    The One Piece anime started in 1999 and is at 1102 episodes. So just 19 episodes behind with DC having a three year head start. So One Piece is moving a long at a faster rate actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    I intend to catch up by watching the most recent movie first. The Million Dollar Pentagram.
    While the movie is doing really well, and is probably a lot of fun, I don't think it's a good avenue for catching up to the anime. The movies are usually standalone adventures that don't really fit into the main series canon.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    While the movie is doing really well, and is probably a lot of fun, I don't think it's a good avenue for catching up to the anime. The movies are usually standalone adventures that don't really fit into the main series canon.
    For a while, I've heard the same thing about the DBZ movies...

"Good-bye. Good luck. Good riddance."

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    The One Piece anime started in 1999 and is at 1102 episodes. So just 19 episodes behind with DC having a three year head start. So One Piece is moving a long at a faster rate actually.

I have to ask how much of each is filler content? One Piece is infamous in some circles for the amount of filler that can't actually develop the story or characters in it without risking contradicting the source material. Not sure about Case Closed.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I have to ask how much of each is filler content? One Piece is infamous in some circles for the amount of filler that can't actually develop the story or characters in it without risking contradicting the source material. Not sure about Case Closed.
    Case Closed/Detective Conan is also riddled with filler. Both the manga and anime. If you know the basic premise of the story; just know that Conan is still trying to uncover the identity of the Black Organization that poisoned him, what their motive is and how to reverse the de-aging effects. You know it’s bad when even the director of the anime admits to have run out of ideas around the 800th episode or so. There are only so many murder plots, mysteries and unique crimes they can do spins on and keep things fresh. I think the director of the anime said that the main characters are solving 10 crimes a day at this rate.

The manga author wrote the ending years ago, when his health took a turn. He’s recovered since then. But he doesn’t know how or presumably doesn’t want to end the series.

Onepiece will overtake Conan soon no doubt.