Page 14 of 80 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I'm about halfway through the show (attention's been diverted by March Madness) and it's been a wild, violent and bloody ride which I've enjoyed so far. Yeah, I'd recommend it. Give it a shot.
    Thanks WPP! (THIS is why we need a "Like" button!)
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Both the anime and the manga it's based on are excellent. And you are right, it isn't really about Shogi despite the MC being a professional Shogi player. You can know nothing about the game and still enjoy the series.
    Yah, at first I didn't understand a thing about shogi when I watched the show. But when I tried playing shogi after watching the show, the conversations about shogi made sense to me. I was familiar with chess so I was able to understand shogi since both games have similar rules. In addition, Nikaido's explanations to Hina and her imouto about shogi in The episode 8 were helpful and easy to understand.

Perhaps I should correct myself. I realize that March Comes in like a Lion is basically a coming-of-age story about a gloomy boy estranged from his foster family and having no friends aside from a friendly family who is inviting him to dinners.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    recently I watched an anime called March Comes in like a Lion. The anime has a melancholic feel to it. It's not just about shogi. It is about a depressed and cynical high school boy who's a shogi prodigy having disillusions about his future. I imagine what he's been through. I know because I was in his shoes.
    I remember watching and enjoying Shion no O years back.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shion_no_%C5%8C

It's about Shogi, but it's also a pretty intense thriller.

Quote Originally Posted by evolutionaryFan View Post
    I remember watching and enjoying Shion no O years back.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shion_no_%C5%8C

It's about Shogi, but it's also a pretty intense thriller.
    It looks like a crime thriller or a detective story. I haven't watched it yet. Perhaps I will try watching it.

I watched another shogi anime called "The Ryuo's Work is Never Done!" It is all about shogi and nothing else.

I also read a manga called 81diver. The artwork is quite good. The story flows well. Characterization has a depth to it. I wish it were made into an anime.

Fantastic Member

It looks like a crime thriller or a detective story. I haven't watched it yet. Perhaps I will try watching it.

I watched another shogi anime called "The Ryuo's Work is Never Done!" It is all about shogi and nothing else.

I also read a manga called 81diver. The artwork is quite good. The story flows well. Characterization has a depth to it. I wish it were made into an anime.
    cool. I might check those out. Have u watched Hikaru no go?

I started playing shogi after watching the March Comes like a Lion anime. Has anyone else played shogi? I find it to be more interesting than Chess. Speaking of Chess, maybe I ought to try watching a new TV series called Queen's Gambit.

cool. I might check those out. Have u watched Hikaru no go?
    No but I did read the manga Hikaru no go before. I think I read only the volumes 1 and 2. I don't know why I stopped reading it. Maybe I will try reading it again or watch the anime.

Fantastic Member

I started playing shogi after watching the March Comes like a Lion anime. Has anyone else played shogi? I find it to be more interesting than Chess. Speaking of Chess, maybe I ought to try watching a new TV series called Queen's Gambit.
    Queen's Gambit was fun but the reviews make it seem like some kind of masterpiece. I liked it but not that much.

I did learn a little Shogi years back and played it online, but I've forgotten now. Problem for me is the kanji pieces and recognizing the pieces. I think they have international pieces now but not sure.

Queen's Gambit was fun but the reviews make it seem like some kind of masterpiece. I liked it but not that much.

I did learn a little Shogi years back and played it online, but I've forgotten now. Problem for me is the kanji pieces and recognizing the pieces. I think they have international pieces now but not sure.
    I googled looking for an online shogi website and found one for you.

https://japanesechess.org/

They have pieces with letters in the Western Alphabet and also pieces with chess emblems on them in addition to the kanji pieces. But your opponent is a computer not a human.

I did try to play a xiangqi (Chinese chess) with an online internet user but lost it since I was new to the game. I gave up after this attempt since it was much more confusing than shogi and I can't read the Chinese characters.
    Last edited by Zauriel; 03-26-2021 at 10:27 PM.

Fantastic Member

I googled looking for an online shogi website and found one for you.

https://japanesechess.org/

They have pieces with letters in the Western Alphabet and also pieces with chess emblems on them in addition to the kanji pieces. But your opponent is a computer not a human.

I did try to play a xiangqi (Chinese chess) with an online internet user but lost it since I was new to the game. I gave up after this attempt since it was much more confusing than shogi and I can't read the Chinese characters.
    Ah nice! Thanks! ha... funny, I had the opposite experience, I found Xiangqi much easier because I used to play Xiangqi online with western pieces. To return the favor here's a site:

http://www.springfrog.com/games/chess/chinese/

Ah nice! Thanks! ha... funny, I had the opposite experience, I found Xiangqi much easier because I used to play Xiangqi online with western pieces. To return the favor here's a site:

http://www.springfrog.com/games/chess/chinese/
    Awesome. Thanks a bunch. I didn't know there was a site like this one.

No but I did read the manga Hikaru no go before. I think I read only the volumes 1 and 2. I don't know why I stopped reading it. Maybe I will try reading it again or watch the anime.
    LOL! I began watching the anime series a few months ago, and found it most enjoyable.

Looking forward to your thoughts if & when you do get the chance to watch the entire series.
    Last edited by K7P5V; 03-27-2021 at 02:36 AM. Reason: Corrected Grammatical Errors.

Two episodes into High-Rise Invasion. Like it enough to keep going. Feel like characters we like are going to die, par for the course.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Two episodes into High-Rise Invasion. Like it enough to keep going. Feel like characters we like are going to die, par for the course.
    That's the thing. Getting attached to any characters on that show has the potential to be a fool's errand.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    The same can be said about Chihiyafuru, a slice of life show centered around high schoolers playing competitive karuta, a traditional Japanese card game. The show, featuring a MC named Chihiya, a girl who's borderline obsessed with the game, ran three seasons and was utterly enthralling, especially the game play during tournaments. Like shogi, I don't understand a blessed thing about karuta, but it interests me greatly.
    They not only made anime about shogi and karuta they also made an anime about another part of Japanese culture, namely Japanese calligraphy.
    There is an anime series called Barakamon. I watched the first episode. It looked interesting.

I'd love to see them make an anime about Japanese tea ceremony known as chadō

Anybody interested in Mobile Suit Gundam Hathaway? It's basically an adaptation of an older novel-which is kind of interesting since Gundam anime from this era (UC 0090's) started as novels too-Char's counterattack and Unicorn. (Char's counterattack is an adaptation of High-Streamer which was published a year or so before the movie). Deals with Bright Noah's son-who got kind of messed up after the events of Char's counterattack-rebelling against the Earth Federation.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth