Page 15 of 80 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Has anyone here heard of Sakuga?

"I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Anybody interested in Mobile Suit Gundam Hathaway? It's basically an adaptation of an older novel-which is kind of interesting since Gundam anime from this era (UC 0090's) started as novels too-Char's counterattack and Unicorn. (Char's counterattack is an adaptation of High-Streamer which was published a year or so before the movie). Deals with Bright Noah's son-who got kind of messed up after the events of Char's counterattack-rebelling against the Earth Federation.
    I'm interested in it since I love UC Gundam stuff, but maaaaaan do I hate that ugly Gundam design in this particular series/movie.

Seems like both the design of that Gundam and the Gundam Sentinel novel released around the same time had the same basic idea of giving Gundams massive shoulders.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

I don't mind the Sentinel ones i've seen, I actually do like the S Gundam design a good bit for a bulkier heavy hitter type one. My preference for Gundam designs in generally like the 8th MS Team/War in the Pocket/Stardust Memory kinda stuff, more on the "realistic" side but not going completely boring/bland tank like stuff(though if i'm going full on goofy weird designs G Gundam will always be the #1).

Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post
    I don't mind the Sentinel ones i've seen, I actually do like the S Gundam design a good bit for a bulkier heavy hitter type one. My preference for Gundam designs in generally like the 8th MS Team/War in the Pocket/Stardust Memory kinda stuff, more on the "realistic" side but not going completely boring/bland tank like stuff(though if i'm going full on goofy weird designs G Gundam will always be the #1).
    In agreement with you about the weird designs. No matter what, I'll always LOVE Mobile Fighter G-Gundam (both the anime series & the manga series):

Last edited by K7P5V; 03-28-2021 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Has anyone watched Mitsuwano OVA yet? They made an interesting anime about a certain aspect of Japanese culture. A maiko, I have just learned from this OVA, is an apprentice geisha.

Mitsuwano is a coming-of-age story of three Geisha apprentices (called Maiko), training to become fully-fledged geisha. They learn to wear makeup and lovely kimono, dance and play music. In Kyoto, geisha are skilled performers of traditional dance and song. It is said their elegance and grace leaves any audience entranced.

Being only one episode long (about 30 minutes), it is really a condensed version of something that could easily run a full season.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/21649/Mitsuwano

They don't make many anime about geisha.

To call geisha "prostitutes" is a misconception in the Western world. Geisha is more like a courtesan. According to the website, https://www.insidejapantours.com/blo...a-prostitutes/

Are geisha prostitutes, or have they ever been?

The answer flat out is NO. While geisha arose from the courtesan world, during the Edo period they established themselves as part of the entertainment class and were never prostitutes themselves.

Note that prostitution was legal with proper licenses during the Edo period. These were held by oiran and lesser prostitutes, but geisha were strictly forbidden from holding such a license.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Anybody interested in Mobile Suit Gundam Hathaway? It's basically an adaptation of an older novel-which is kind of interesting since Gundam anime from this era (UC 0090's) started as novels too-Char's counterattack and Unicorn. (Char's counterattack is an adaptation of High-Streamer which was published a year or so before the movie). Deals with Bright Noah's son-who got kind of messed up after the events of Char's counterattack-rebelling against the Earth Federation.
    Was she the main character:

Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 03-30-2021 at 01:12 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

LOL unfortunately no, although Anne was in the dub of Cat Returns. https://ghibli.fandom.com/wiki/Haru_Yoshioka

Regarding G Gundam, it's unfortunate but it seems like that Crunchyroll stream of it seems to have a really outdated transfer that kind of looks like first generation DVD for some reason. Theo original Mobile Suit Gundam looks more vivid....

Pretty sure there's been an HD version out for a while, wonder why they don't update that?

Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post
    Part of the cool thing about the 0080 designs is that they're basically transitional designs between the original and Z/ZZ/Char's counterattack. The Zaku FZ looks a bit like the Hizack/Zaku III/Geara Doga, especially it's cockpit which doesn't have the characteristic Zaku "T-shape". the Rick Doms more closely resemble the Dressein and Rick Dias, Hygog is similar to the Kapool but most notably the ALEX isn't that far off from the Nu Gundam.

We also see a bit of this in 0083 although not quite-however the Full Vernian's legs/feet and color scheme seem to be a nod to the Zeta Gundam, and of course the Titans GMs at the end resemble the Gundam Mark II.

LOL unfortunately no, although Anne was in the dub of Cat Returns. https://ghibli.fandom.com/wiki/Haru_Yoshioka
    Just checking. Heh! Admittedly, I've never been much of a mecha fan and have only watched a few shows over the years, yes, two of those shows were Gundam Wing (where you needed a scorecard to keep up with all the shifting allegiances between characters) and Neon Genesis Evangelion (which messed with my head at the end while putting up with Shinji's incessant whining). It's kinda funny that I have so little interest in giant robots, even though I fell in love with the Jaegers from Pacific Rim. Go figure.

Gundam Wing definetly did get a lot of political shifting around, although some of it's a bit borrowed from the original Gundam series-the Zechs Marquise story arc is pretty much a condensed version of Char Aznable (Royal exile who reemerges as a masked ace pilot), except without the Newtype/dead girlfriend/eternal rivalry parts (and also his sister doesn't become a pilot on her own, but a diplomat/Queen). The "Endless Waltz" mini also blatantly borrows from a subplot from Zeta Gundam (although one that doesn't really become super-relevant until the far more recent Gundam UC). The SEED series, which kind of mix UC stuff with the more out-there alternate universe Gundams concepts and designs, also feature the characters switching alliances quite a bit.

Evangelion's new movies (The Rebuild series) sort of offer a somewhat more optimistic although still pretty dark version of the story. Still a lot of whiny Shinji though, although Asuka in particular is toned down somewhat.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 03-30-2021 at 01:22 PM.

The Wing boys were certainly an interesting lot: You had Heero with his death wish, Quatre the momma's boy, Trowa the blank slate and Wufei the unrepentant *******. Hard to believe Duo was the most normal of the bunch, and he called himself the God of Death. Heh! Meanwhile, of all the Gundam antagonists who wore buckets on their heads, I have to say Zechs had one of the very best. Double heh!

The "Endless Waltz" mini also blatantly borrows from a subplot from Zeta Gundam (although one that doesn't really become super-relevant until the far more recent Gundam UC).
    Oh jeez, I didn't watch Z and Unicorn until way after I watched EW so I never put together the similarities between Mariemaia and Mineva. Mind blown.

Regarding G Gundam, it's unfortunate but it seems like that Crunchyroll stream of it seems to have a really outdated transfer that kind of looks like first generation DVD for some reason. Theo original Mobile Suit Gundam looks more vivid....

Pretty sure there's been an HD version out for a while, wonder why they don't update that?
    OMG! Glad someone mentioned Gundam on Crunchyroll. Since I recently subscribed to Crunchyroll, I have a question: Has there been any explanation for why the dub versions of Gundam are missing?

I know the majority of fans hate anything that's dubbed, but I'm someone who enjoys both the subtitled version and the dubbed version (I especially like the dubbed version, since I'm a slow reader when it comes to subtitles).

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    OMG! Glad someone mentioned Gundam on Crunchyroll. Since I recently subscribed to Crunchyroll, I have a question: Has there been any explanation for why the dub versions of Gundam are missing?

I know the majority of fans hate anything that's dubbed, but I'm someone who enjoys both the subtitled version and the dubbed version (I especially like the dubbed version, since I'm a slow reader when it comes to subtitles).
    I enjoy both dubbed and subbed shows, in all the years I've watched anime, I've never favored one over the other. Funimation has plenty of the former while Crunchyroll has the bulk of the latter. Now, I'm not sure, but I don't think CR has much in the way of dubs.