Page 16 of 80 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    OMG! Glad someone mentioned Gundam on Crunchyroll. Since I recently subscribed to Crunchyroll, I have a question: Has there been any explanation for why the dub versions of Gundam are missing?

I know the majority of fans hate anything that's dubbed, but I'm someone who enjoys both the subtitled version and the dubbed version (I especially like the dubbed version, since I'm a slow reader when it comes to subtitles).
    I know a few years ago the official youtube channel would put up entire series and rotate them out for every couple of months or so(which is how i ended up first watching Z Gundam for the first time), but they always seemed only put up subbed episodes even for series that had dubs too. Maybe it's just a license holder thing where the old dubs are kind of an afterthought. Luckily the Blu Rays/DVDs cover both and they've done a good job of releasing just about everything at this point, though they are a tad bit on the expensive side, usually like 40-50 bucks for 25 episodes or 30-40 for a shorter series or movie. Though they certainly aren't Aniplex bad expensive,300 dollars for the Persona 5 dubbed blu ray(and that's on sale from the MRSP of 400)!

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    OMG! Glad someone mentioned Gundam on Crunchyroll. Since I recently subscribed to Crunchyroll, I have a question: Has there been any explanation for why the dub versions of Gundam are missing?

I know the majority of fans hate anything that's dubbed, but I'm someone who enjoys both the subtitled version and the dubbed version (I especially like the dubbed version, since I'm a slow reader when it comes to subtitles).
    That isn't really the case here, although I have been to message boards where the opinion was that the mere existence of a dub permanently ruins a series for all time, retroactively making the initial watch suck (the viewpoint of a moron, IMO). When you hate dubs so much you are unable to admit to the quality of the Cowboy Bebop dub (which even the Japanese say is the better version) then your personal prejudices have overtaken you.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    That isn't really the case here, although I have been to message boards where the opinion was that the mere existence of a dub permanently ruins a series for all time, retroactively making the initial watch suck (the viewpoint of a moron, IMO). When you hate dubs so much you are unable to admit to the quality of the Cowboy Bebop dub (which even the Japanese say is the better version) then your personal prejudices have overtaken you.
    The hatred fans have for dubbing borders on fanatical, and fanaticism on any level is disturbing, if not dangerous.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    The hatred fans have for dubbing borders on fanatical, and fanaticism on any level is disturbing, if not dangerous.
    Fanaticism also leads to beliefs that can't stand the slightest scrutiny, like one guy who was banned from the ANN boards after claiming that dub watchers were xenophobes. Apparently it never occurred to him that someone who hated other countries wasn't likely to turn to them for stuff to watch either, in any language.

Or on the Paizo games boards (another bastion of the dubs-are-evil crowd), where despite claiming that there is no wrong way to play an RPG as long as everyone at the table is having fun, are unable to apply the same beliefs to watching animation. I find it funny that the exact same person who will mock hatred of gaming playable that don't affect them in the slightest as "Badwrongfun" will become exactly the person they mocked once the subject changes to anime.
    Last edited by Gray Lensman; 04-04-2021 at 02:10 PM.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Jojo Part 6's key art and teaser got released today:

december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I enjoy both dubbed and subbed shows, in all the years I've watched anime, I've never favored one over the other. Funimation has plenty of the former while Crunchyroll has the bulk of the latter. Now, I'm not sure, but I don't think CR has much in the way of dubs.
    Thanks for letting me know. Greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post
    I know a few years ago the official youtube channel would put up entire series and rotate them out for every couple of months or so(which is how i ended up first watching Z Gundam for the first time), but they always seemed only put up subbed episodes even for series that had dubs too. Maybe it's just a license holder thing where the old dubs are kind of an afterthought. Luckily the Blu Rays/DVDs cover both and they've done a good job of releasing just about everything at this point, though they are a tad bit on the expensive side, usually like 40-50 bucks for 25 episodes or 30-40 for a shorter series or movie. Though they certainly aren't Aniplex bad expensive,300 dollars for the Persona 5 dubbed blu ray(and that's on sale from the MRSP of 400)!
    Oops! Completely forgot about the "license" thing. Thanks for the reminder.

Subs & Dubs, I care for both equally. Glad to know there aren't any problems with dubs on the CBR Forums.

I think there was a bit of a controversy in the early 00s because the original set of Mobile Suit Gundam DVDs only had the dub track, and I think even ditched the opening "Fly, Gundam" for some of the DVDs adding in the Toonami intro instead (Not sure about the second). I think it was in part because of an issue with the Japanese audio at the time. I think the movie trilogy had to be re-dubbed and had some music edits due to some problems with it.

I think most Gundam dubs have been pretty good. The early 00 ones for the OAVs were done by the same group who did Cowboy Bebop as well as the manga dub of Castle of Cagliostro; 0080 in particular has David "Snake" Hayter. The Ocean dubs for the original show and Gundam Wing weren't bad either.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 04-05-2021 at 06:49 AM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    I think there was a bit of a controversy in the early 00s because the original set of Mobile Suit Gundam DVDs only had the dub track, and I think even ditched the opening "Fly, Gundam" for some of the DVDs adding in the Toonami intro instead (Not sure about the second). I think it was in part because of an issue with the Japanese audio at the time. I think the movie trilogy had to be re-dubbed and had some music edits due to some problems with it.

I think most Gundam dubs have been pretty good. The early 00 ones for the OAVs were done by the same group who did Cowboy Bebop as well as the manga dub of Castle of Cagliostro; 0080 in particular has David "Snake" Hayter. The Ocean dubs for the original show and Gundam Wing weren't bad either.
    Back in the VHS days you couldn't get both vocal tracks on a single recording, and most shops preferred dubs due to the larger customer base they had at the time. Add in a few studios that aspired to be as good as the dubbing on 70s Hong Kong action films, and the prevalence of "Masekre" style dubs that changed the dialog as much as modern abridged series do, and I can understand the dislike for that era of dubbing, but can't excuse the belief that things are still the same, or the extreme toxicity it has grown into currently.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Back in the VHS days you couldn't get both vocal tracks on a single recording, and most shops preferred dubs due to the larger customer base they had at the time. Add in a few studios that aspired to be as good as the dubbing on 70s Hong Kong action films, and the prevalence of "Masekre" style dubs that changed the dialog as much as modern abridged series do, and I can understand the dislike for that era of dubbing, but can't excuse the belief that things are still the same, or the extreme toxicity it has grown into currently.
    I remember buying anime on VHS as late as mid 1999 (ironically, one title I bought back then was Video Girl Ai where a VHS tape and player were a huge part of the plot) and back then, I thought the dubbing was pretty good. Of course, by the time 2000 rolled around, VHS went the way of the dodo in favor of DVD, giving fans both vocal tracks, certainly a game changer, but, I stuck with dubs because that was what I was used to and enjoyed. If memory serves, I didn't get into subs until around 2005 or so when I stumbled onto shows online, followed by Crunchyroll several years later.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

#ThankYouHajimeIsayama is trending on twitter. I haven't caught up with Attack On Titan but I gotta appreciate Isayama for bringing a new audience to anime and manga.

Demon slayer tickets pre sales start friday. Need to pick up tickets! Also happy to say our smaller amc here is showing it and it never shows anime films as much! (the big ones in the next town has tons of showings for it! Kind of surprised by that!)

With sony not really putting ads on tv for it much not sure how good it will do here like in au.

So apparentally the Macross/Robotech mess got fixed, more or less. https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...botech/.171570
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

OMG! It's finally happening! Totally looking forward to this!

Speaking of mechas, is anyone watching SSSS.Dynazenon?

macross! Now if we can just get the machine robo rights cleared up as there are three shows we never got much here and no toy rereleases much as machine robo or gobots.