Page 19 of 79 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122232969 ... LastLast
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Here's a show I just started: Moriarty the Patriot which focuses on the arch enemy of Sherlock Holmes. Despite being a noble, Moriarty seeks to topple British nobility which he sees as unfair to the lower classes, and is not above resorting to violence to achieve his goals. I've watched a couple of episodes and found it intriguing. The show is currently airing on Funimation.

Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 04-24-2021 at 02:53 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

I saw Demon Slayer, Mugen Train. It was good, the second half really kicks it into high gear. But it's just a good anime movie from a good TV show. Why this is the biggest thing ever, I do not know. It is not Miyazaki or Shinkai.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Just got back from demon slayer. Theatre was packed! Some people wore mortal kombat outfits and some in demon slayer ones! Pretty fun to see the fans dressed up.

Most were going to the subtitled big D showing of demon slayer but our dub showing was still full!

Yes there were kids there as well! Tons of teens also. Other then two quick scenes and curse words that could have been left out there was no reason this film could not have been pg-13! I saw more gore on a episode of csi or ncis or simpsons halloween episodes at 7pm!

Film was really good. They do not recap the series at all so you better see the first season first. Some parts got a big laugh from our showing.

The guy at the theatre said they have been packed all weekend with both films! Our showing was and yes they had a ad for mortal kombat in front of the movie!

Edit--

And mortal kombat crawls over first place to win.(it was close!) Ironic thing is it is almost the same amount the first 90s mortal kombat movie made! History repeats.

Still a big win for anime fans ds doing so well (and did get first place friday and saturday) but if mk had came out last week mk would have made more and demon slayer would have been first so wbs move did have a price on both films! Of course the real winner was the theatres as both films combined made about $40m this weekend!

With that said it was fun to watch these films fight it out.

Detective conan film still crushing the overseas box office doing great in china! No theatre release for conan in america of course.

https://deadline.com/2021/04/mortal-...le-1234742886/
    Last edited by Gaastra; 04-25-2021 at 09:07 AM.

Astonishing Member

Okay, here's something that may be fun*. This Spring season is the first time I'm paying direct attention to what's being released and making a point of seeking them out (provided they're on Crunchyroll. I don't have Funimation, though I kind of wish I did so I could watch Super Cub). So, I thought I'd weigh in with my thoughts on the shows I've tried. I will split them up by theme and put them in different posts for the sake of avoiding "Wall of Text Syndrome".
    *[Level of fun may vary]

Theme 1: Found Family

I've Been Killing Slimes for 300 Years and Maxed Out my Level: An office lady from the real world works herself to death and gets the chance to reincarnate in a fantasy world. She does so provided she can be immortal. So, she sets out as the witch Azusa to live out her slow-paced immortal life. However, after 300 years of this and killing the low-level slimes that get in her way, she's managed to reach level 99 and rumors of her strength have spread. So, she does what she can when someone comes to pick a fight: she welcomes them into her home and family. I know this sounds like possibly a million other light novel-derived "What if someone were reincarnated into Dragon Quest" anime concepts. But it's managed to charm me. Granted, I'm a sucker for family stuff. [SPOILER]I think what really won me over was the second episode when the two slime spirits showed up. The spirits were the result of about 250 years of Azusa killing slimes and because Azusa is responsible for their existence, they see her as their "Mama". And sure, they play it as joke with a flabbergasted Azusa at first, but she's pretty much accepted her role as their mother by mid-episode. I kind of feel like most shows would have abandoned the concept once it was done getting laughs, but this show committed to it (and hey, that means there's one more anime mom out there who isn't dead).[/SPOILER]

Higehiro: After Being Rejected, I Shaved and Took in a High School Runaway: A lonely man gets drunk after being rejected by his work crush and on the way home runs into a teenage runaway. After flatly turning down her attempt to seduce him as means to "pay" for staying at his place, he welcomes her into his home anyway. This starts their life together. This one's cute in places but also comes loaded for bear with potential for drama and tough subject matter. The thing that's really caught my attention is how complex and "non-standard" Sayu's (the runaway) characterization is. I'm so used to the orphan/runaway stock characterization being a sort of streetwise, cynical, prickly, grown-up-before-their-time type of character. Sayu's not like that, despite the fact that she's clearly been in some situations she shouldn't have been in. It's heartbreaking what she's had to do for unscrupulous guys in order to just have a roof over her head, but it hasn't really caused her to grow up any. She's still a kid, just a messed up kid who doesn't value herself in the way that she should. This one's got potential. I just hope Japan's affection for age-gap romances doesn't cause this anime to usagi-drop us into a squicky ending (if you understand my reference).

Anyway, that's it for now. More to come.
    Last edited by AdamFTF; 04-24-2021 at 07:05 PM. Reason: spoilers

Been rewatching Blue Exorcist for the first time in a decade (I last watched it when the first season came out). Still really good.

Also watched Way of the House Husband (of course). It keeps the comedy, but the series sadly lacks a lot of actual animation. I don't mind it being shorter, but would have preferred the studio not cutting costs that way.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

My friend discusses what he feels is an often too frequent problem in Anime/Manga using the example of Dragon Ball Super -

"So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

Okay. Time for another one of these. I'll try to make it a bit shorter this time. This time, the theme is The Arts.

Those Snow White Notes- After the death of his grandfather causes him to lose his sound, young shamisen player Setsu Sawamura heads to Tokyo to rediscover it. Along the way, he runs into fellow musicians of both rock and folk pedigree, a kind gravure model and his own narcissistic mother. It's a solid series with some very good music. However, you might be misled by the first few episodes. At first, it seems like more of a seinen series about a twenty-something musician navigating the grown-up music scene of modern Tokyo. One of the few anime series that doesn't take place in a high school. That is, until his beautiful, self-absorbed and over-the-top mother barges into the place where he's staying to tell him she enrolled him in high school right there in Tokyo. [Sigh] Oh, well. It's still a good show and I'd recommend it to fans of similar music-themed anime.

Let's Make a Mug Too- High school girl Himeno Toyokawa moves to Tajimi city when her father decides to move back there to start a cafe. At school, she runs into the pottery club who inform her that her own late mother was actually a bit of a legend in the pottery world. She then joins and starts her journey of learning the art of pottery. Yeah, so it's kind of a typical "Cute Girls Doing Cute Things" anime with its combination of sparkly high school girls and educational material about a certain area of interest. But, I like that kind of stuff. I watched all of K-On. I've watched all of After School Dice Club at least twice. Heck, I'm kind of hoping someone comes out with an anime/manga about gardening. If it's up your alley, give it a watch.

One more of these to go.

Turns out demon slayers box office was not $19m but $20.1m! More theatres have booked demon slayer for next week!

Also oops sony had the movie to buy on playstation for a few hours! Oops.

Netflix kills another animated films theatre run. The next film is sailor moon. We got the last three films in theatres but netflix is putting a stop to that!

https://www.cnet.com/news/every-new-...flix-may-2021/

My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

Quote Originally Posted by bruceleegreyhulk View Post

Passing of an anime composer legend.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    My friend discusses what he feels is an often too frequent problem in Anime/Manga using the example of Dragon Ball Super -

To be fair, Dragon Ball as a whole, was kind of the progenitor of power creep. It wasn't until after that it became such a big thing in so many series. Plus, "power creep" is one of the main themes of Dragon Ball since the beginning. With Goku always looking to get stronger.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I saw Demon Slayer, Mugen Train. It was good, the second half really kicks it into high gear. But it's just a good anime movie from a good TV show. Why this is the biggest thing ever, I do not know. It is not Miyazaki or Shinkai.
    Just having passing online knowledge about the characters and setting, and knowing it was a middle road series installment, I thought it had everything to be a theater blockbuster: great animation, funny moments, heartfelt personal moments, and high stakes action. It also tickled my horror/vampire villain bone. And the trailer I watched didn't even spoil the good parts, I was expecting to be ushered out of the episodic anime movie when the final act kicked in. I easily imagine existing manga/anime fans feeling an even bigger payoff.

Extraordinary Member

I was sick last week (just an intense cold, not covid I did a test and got a negative result), and during the days when I could only really muster the energy to lay down and watch tv I got caught in Non Non Biyori, a utterly charming slice of life series about a school so small that all of its five students are in different grades and attend class together.

It's just really nice to sit back and chill with this delightful series.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    I was sick last week (just an intense cold, not covid I did a test and got a negative result), and during the days when I could only really muster the energy to lay down and watch tv I got caught in Non Non Biyori, a utterly charming slice of life series about a school so small that all of its five students are in different grades and attend class together.

It's just really nice to sit back and chill with this delightful series.
    Good choice! NNB is an absolutely charming slice of life show which I've watched myself, and you just can't help but smile at the rampant cuteness of Renge. By the by, a THIRD season of the show is underway on Crunchyroll.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!