Page 34 of 81 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast

Thanks for the recommendations.

I'm also currently watching Rust–Eater Bisco. I'm getting a Cowboy Bebop or Afro Samurai (along nowhere near as violent as AS) vibe from the series thus far mind you it is very early on.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Ok, since my friend bought me a year-long Funimation subscription last June for my birthday because I prefer dubs I'm lazy lol, I've watched in totality "Cowboy Bebop", "Afro Samurai" (series and movie), "Akira", "Black Lagon", "Hyperdimension Neptunia", "Date A Live", "Dragon Ball" (OG series and movies rewatch), "That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime", "Overlord", "The Hero Is Overpowered but Overly Cautious", "Goblin Slayer", "Rising of the Shield Hero", "Isekai Quartet", "Uzaki Chan Wants to hang out", "The Great Jahy Will Not Be Defeated" (sub in this case) and I am currently watching these ongoing series "My Hero Academia", "Demon Slayer", "Banished From the Hero's Party", "A Realist Hero Rebuilt The Kingdom" and "She Professed Herself Pupil of the Wise Man".

Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm running out of stuff to watch lol.

BTW I must admit I have grown weary of the modern Isekai subgenre because, frankly, I've found that the vast majority are thinly veiled power fantasies in which the hero (typical a young socially guy awkward) becomes so OP and beloved by everyone in their new world that zero drama ensues. I seldom think that most Isekai protagonists or their closest allies are in real danger after season one or sometimes earlier. There are a few good Isekai such as " "The Great Jahy Will Not Be Defeated" (think a female version of the main character from "The Devil is a Part-Timer" but with more humor) and "Banished From the Hero's Party" (in which both the protagonist and his sister the "hero" each have an existential crisis about free will versus destiny) but most are boring and formulaic.
    Depends on what your tastes are.

Some on there worth a watch - Speed Grapher, Wave Listen to me and Afterlost

If you're looking for short-term series, Gurren Lagann and Kill La Kill are pretty good. They're also quite interesting in that halfway through the main story changes radically. They're also both very OTT.

Fire Force is a fairly new one, about a group of pyrokinetic "firemen" who sort of do a kind of ghostbusting of people who turn into flame zombies (as well as investigating why it's happening).

Fairy Tail is a pretty good series, although long. It's a bit like Dragonball in there's a lot of fighting, there's quite a bit of filler,and many of the 'villains' later turn out to join the heroes, especially in the earlier arcs. But it's a lot of fun. A new series is currently being worked on.

City Hunter is a big mostly 80s and 90's action series although it did have a movie revival a few years back, about a private detective/mercenary in Tokyo's Shinjuku district. The main character's lechery might turn off some viewers, although he's mostly kept in check by his partner/semi-love interest. It's got some really good action and animation for it's era.

Mobile suit Gundam is of course a big one, although there's smaller continuities ("Alternate universes") that one can check out before going on the big one, the Universal Century. Gundam Seed, for example, uses many of the series's trademarks and tropes. Several of the series are also available on Youtube as well.

Evangelion might be worth a try, it's still one of the biggest anime in Japan despite the main TV show being nearly 30 years old. It's basically about a troubled group of teens working for a mysterious organization, fighting against bizzare monsters invading Tokyo on the surface, but it gets so much deeper. Although I don't think it's on Funi, it's on Netflix for the TV shows and first two movies, while the next four movies-a sort of reanimation/reboot of the series-are on Amazon Prime.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Fairy Tail is a pretty good series, although long. It's a bit like Dragonball in there's a lot of fighting, there's quite a bit of filler,and many of the 'villains' later turn out to join the heroes, especially in the earlier arcs. But it's a lot of fun. A new series is currently being worked on.
    Considering its length, Fairy Tail has a surprisingly low percentage of filler episodes when compared against other shows of similar volume. Certainly nowhere near the filler that Naruto or Naruto: Shippuden has. Case Closed takes the crown with filler though.

City Hunter is a big mostly 80s and 90's action series although it did have a movie revival a few years back, about a private detective/mercenary in Tokyo's Shinjuku district. The main character's lechery might turn off some viewers, although he's mostly kept in check by his partner/semi-love interest. It's got some really good action and animation for it's era.
    They prefer dubs. Unless they check out the movies only, the actual series themselves are a no go (City Hunter is better watched subbed anyway).

Mobile suit Gundam is of course a big one, although there's smaller continuities ("Alternate universes") that one can check out before going on the big one, the Universal Century. Gundam Seed, for example, uses many of the series's trademarks and tropes. Several of the series are also available on Youtube as well.
    The Universal Century has the better timeline. However, the series I used to recommend was Gundam Wing. Now I tell people to start with Gundam 00. Seed started off amazing, but became mediocre by the time of Seed Destiny.

Evangelion might be worth a try, it's still one of the biggest anime in Japan despite the main TV show being nearly 30 years old. It's basically about a troubled group of teens working for a mysterious organization, fighting against bizzare monsters invading Tokyo on the surface, but it gets so much deeper. Although I don't think it's on Funi, it's on Netflix for the TV shows and first two movies, while the next four movies-a sort of reanimation/reboot of the series-are on Amazon Prime.
    Funi only had the first 3 rebuild movies and they no longer have the license to them.

Neon Genesis is an odd beast because I find it just doesn't have the impact on younger kids like it did with my generation and the few that followed afterwards. I got into it as soon as it hit the west. Actually a friend of mines brother somehow got a hold of a few episodes in late 97. I was 10 and it had an instant impact on me. It didn't come out proper here in Australia until late 98.

I don't know if it's because we look back on it with nostalgia, or if it's because the ground it broke was been built upon by every other series in its wake to some degree, but most audiences now just shrug their shoulders at it. It is definitely a series that rewards you long-term though. Even now, 27 years later, there are new things being discovered by fans when watching it.

I think Funi is the only streaming service to carry Zeta Gundam, although it occasionally pops up on Youtube's Gundam channel.

Nate Wants To Battle on YouTube has done some fantastic English translations of recent popular Anime themes. Here is Overlord, my personal favorite -

Last edited by Celgress; 02-23-2022 at 09:47 PM.

And Demon Slayer

And Black Clover -

enjoy

Astonishing Member

Odd that funi has Zeta Gundam. But, if you have to have any of the Gundam series on your services, that is the one you want. I started off with Mobile Suit Gundam and that show almost killed my interest in Gundam. It isn't bad, but it gets tedious after a while. It's no wonder it was cut short (Bright Noa slapping people was always a highlight though lol).

But Zeta? That eclipses MSG in every single aspect. So much so it's like night and day between the two. Thank God that came along when it did or else we might not have got my other favourite Gundam series - 0080: War In The Pocket or 0083: Stardust Memory.

The original does have a lot of goofy aspects-quite a few of the mobile armors, the Gundam's combination stuff, some really off-model animation at points. One episode was so badly done Tomino cut it from most overseas broadcasts, although now it's getting a movie.

I don't know if you've seen the movie compilation but it pretty much cuts a lot of the fat-most of the mobile armor stuff is gone, the G-armor becomes a souped-up core fighter, and a lot of scenes are re-animated to at least Zeta-quality animation.

Funny thing is, when Zeta got it's own movie compilation it didn't really turn out as well...

I wonder if it would ever be possible to bring both HunterxHunter 99 and HunterxHunter 2011 back.
    And before anyone says I’m aware of the creator’s hiatuses.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    I wonder if it would ever be possible to bring both HunterxHunter 99 and HunterxHunter 2011 back.
    And before anyone says I’m aware of the creator’s hiatuses.
    99 is unlikely to happen because of the 2011 series. That could possibly come back once Togashi has more chapters published.

Not sure what the hold up is with Jump not publishing the chapters Togashi has done. Last I heard he had 24 chapters completed and that was well over a year ago.

Astonishing Member

The animation didn't really bother me with MSG. But it was like they hadn't decided on the correct tone or pace for it. Whereas with Zeta they clearly went in with that all locked down.

The MSG movies thankfully helped change my opinion on that part of the story. I mean, you have a war going on, but it becomes a backdrop for this pissing contest between Amuro and Char over Lalah.

I think the Zeta films suffered because the series was so well plotted and paced that the compilation films ended up cutting alot of story out. MSG had so much padding it was unbelievable.

A lot of what Tomino intended to do with Gundam he had to sort of compromise with the cut-down episode length and also the merchandise needs. I think he intended for the Gundam to be less toyetic, yet even in his own sequels where he has more creative controls it's still generally stuck with the traditional colors, although with Mark II and Nu it's muted down a bit.

I think in his novel adaptation, Amuro develops more of a relationship with Sayla (Something the series only hinted at a tiny bit), gets a grey/purple Gundam after his original is destroyed, and actually dies!

American release date trailer.