Page 4 of 78 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    Yeah, the end of Yu Yu Hakusho in the manga is very abrupt, he even spiked Yusuke fight with Yomi, which was a bummer. The anime at least gave more action, and they dealt with the end in a much better way imo.

Funny how the only way Jump convinced him to get back with HxH was to give him complete creative freadom at his own pace. And he gave them his masterpiece.

And the dude had two huge sucess one after the other. Something Kishimoto can't say for himself with his manga with space samurais.
    Why feel the need to hype up one author by dumping, ever so slightly, on another?

It takes a **** ton of work just to get a series off the ground and then to have it run as long and be such a massive success as Naruto (and Naruto was/is bigger than YYH and HxH) is a once in a lifetime achivement for a small handful of people.

And if you want to equate number of series with success then Ken Akamatsu and Hiro Mashima have them both beaten (both have two or more finished series that are considered staples of anime and are currently producing more on a regular basis).

My point is, yes Kishimoto's Samurai 8 wasn't able to replicate the success of Naruto due to various issues with the storytelling (which is sad cause I thought it was fun). But that doesn't mean that Togashi is necessarily a better author. The manga industry is harsh at best, and WSJ have pretty insane demands of new series. Things just didn't line up for Kishimoto this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    Why feel the need to hype up one author by dumping, ever so slightly, on another?

It takes a **** ton of work just to get a series off the ground and then to have it run as long and be such a massive success as Naruto (and Naruto was/is bigger than YYH and HxH) is a once in a lifetime achivement for a small handful of people.

And if you want to equate number of series with success then Ken Akamatsu and Hiro Mashima have them both beaten (both have two or more finished series that are considered staples of anime and are currently producing more on a regular basis).

My point is, yes Kishimoto's Samurai 8 wasn't able to replicate the success of Naruto due to various issues with the storytelling (which is sad cause I thought it was fun). But that doesn't mean that Togashi is necessarily a better author. The manga industry is harsh at best, and WSJ have pretty insane demands of new series. Things just didn't line up for Kishimoto this time.
    I'm saying is that is difficult to produce two huge success in a row like Togashi did it. Kishimoto is just an new example of this, but i'm not faulting him for trying.

But that doesn't mean that Togashi is necessarily a better author.
    Maybe Kishimoto failing to deliver with Samurai 8 doesn't mean Togashi is a better author, but if you look at their body of work Togashi is, IMO, 100% a better author than Kishimoto.

Extraordinary Member

Maybe Kishimoto failing to deliver with Samurai 8 doesn't mean Togashi is a better author, but if you look at their body of work Togashi is, IMO, 100% a better author than Kishimoto.
    I haven't read Hunter x Hunter, I will at some point but people that recommend it to me keep hyping it up by dumping on other series I like and that makes me less inclined to try it out. But I will get to it at some point.

But I have read and watched Yu Yu Hakusho, and if I had to compare it to Naruto I'd say that I 100% think that Naruto is the better series. I like both, but I largely prefer Naruto. So we'll have to disagree on that.

I haven't read Hunter x Hunter, I will at some point but people that recommend it to me keep hyping it up by dumping on other series I like and that makes me less inclined to try it out. But I will get to it at some point.

But I have read and watched Yu Yu Hakusho, and if I had to compare it to Naruto I'd say that I 100% think that Naruto is the better series. I like both, but I largely prefer Naruto. So we'll have to disagree on that.
    Well, you didn't read or watched his best work. Yu Yu Hakusho isn't on the level of Hunter X Hunter either. If only for YH i would be more inclined to agree with you, cause it more of a basic shonen.

I like Naruto too by the way, i read it all and I watched the anime too, even it was a tought task cause of the fillers hell that became that show. I think it's good, but not great.

Thanks for the Suggetsions, K7P5V and WestPhillyPunisher! I'll look it up!

Well, Bleach has a lot of Yu Yu Hakusho in it too, even tho Yu Yu Hakusho 10x better.

Most of this mangakas are fans of Togashi.
    Kishimoto was inspired by Hiei when made Sasuke, and straight up gave the name Kurama for his Nine Tails Fox.

Can't blame them, Togashi is a genius and his works are top notch.
    The only bad part of his work are the infinite hiatus nowadays. I already made peace that i'll never see the end of HxH.
    It's a generational thing, 2000s mangakas are fans of Togashi because that's what they grew up on.

Now we see 2010s and 2020s mangakas who were obviously fans of Naruto/Bleach growing up. I could make a similar comparison about how characters JJK, Black Clover and MHA are inspired by Naruto, Ichigo, Kakashi or Sasuke. Akutami mentioned using HxH as inspiration for his fighting system, but he also explicitly stated Bleach and Naruto heavily influenced his writing.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Lol at detective conan having them watch a movie of yaiba (spoof of masked rider join the azenfers! (complete with rdj as "iron man"!)

Then they say he joined them in hopes the yabia series would "appeal to western audiences."

This is a injoke to the conan show itself! They changed the names to gain american viewers and still didn't take off! Nice injoke!

Also both avengers iw and endgame were crushed by conan films at the japan box office!

They spoofed star wars also!

So I watched Demon Slayer on Netflix. It's very enjoyable. I like the use of inner dialog to give us the characters thoughts. The animation is excellent with good character design, especially the demons. Tanjiro and his sister make up a good foundation for the story. The one negative is Tanjiro's two slayer companions, Zenitsu and Inosuke. Inosuke is a one note braggart and Zenitsu, the orange haired slayer, well his hypnotic state slaying is interesting, but except for that all he does is whine at a screaming decible. It is so annoying I have to mute when he is talking.
    I am curious about the movie that has taken Japan by storm. I thought it might be the conclusion to this, but it seems to just be an extended episode as Tanjiro and the other slayers take on the on of the "lower 6" on the train. I am sure it is done well, but I am curious to see why this has become such a big hit.
    Going by this season I imagine they will have many more before finally confronting Muzan.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I am sure it is done well, but I am curious to see why this has become such a big hit.
    Going by this season I imagine they will have many more before finally confronting Muzan.
    Ufotable is an SSS+ tier studio with a good working environment and talented animators.

I am not questioning the quality. There are other movies with great animation. I just watched Weathering with You, some of the best Japanese animation I have ever seen. But that was not as big as Demon Slayer, which isn't even self contained. So why is this the biggest animated film ever in Japan?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I am not questioning the quality. There are other movies with great animation. I just watched Weathering with You, some of the best Japanese animation I have ever seen. But that was not as big as Demon Slayer, which isn't even self contained. So why is this the biggest animated film ever in Japan?
    Weathering with You is a standalone film and the Demon Slayer movie is a part of a successful series. Also, unless it's a Disney movie action-packed movies are more likely to break box office records than romance movies.

so I guess the series was giant smash hit in Japan?

Extraordinary Member

so I guess the series was giant smash hit in Japan?
    The series is HUGE in Japan.

After the anime aired the sales of the manga went way up. Enough that the series sold better overall that year than One Piece, which has dominated the charts for a decade or more. There are some caveats to it, but that's really impressive as a whole. As one reviewer put it, Kimetsu no Yaiba managed to scratch the face of the sales god that is One Piece. Pretty much no other series has been able to do that for ages.

Extraordinary Member

The Black Clover anime is ending soon.

My guess is that they're getting a wee bit too close to the manga storyline. So instead of overtaking it or making up a long ass filler arc to pad things out, the anime is taking a break so that the manga can create some more distance.

There're also some rumors that the studio will be handling the final arc of Bleach, so the Black Clover budget might go into that instead. But that's just a rumor.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Also both avengers iw and endgame were crushed by conan films at the japan box office!

They spoofed star wars also!
    Warrants its staying power for over two decades.

Nothing did Star Wars more than Gintama, they even got more creative in the use lightsaber than Star Wars did from what I watched of their work.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

The series is HUGE in Japan.

After the anime aired the sales of the manga went way up. Enough that the series sold better overall that year than One Piece, which has dominated the charts for a decade or more. There are some caveats to it, but that's really impressive as a whole. As one reviewer put it, Kimetsu no Yaiba managed to scratch the face of the sales god that is One Piece. Pretty much no other series has been able to do that for ages.
    So the movie will probably go straight to Netflix here, as there really isn't that a big a market for it except for those who watched the show.

But in general, outside of Miyazaki, anime doesn't open in theaters here.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 02-02-2021 at 07:09 AM.