Page 44 of 80 FirstFirst ... 3440414243444546474854 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Universal japan gets another anime ride. Of course, they do.

Part of me gets jealous that the American Universal Studios don't get these, but part of me also realizes I'd have the same problem with these anime attractions as I do with many of the regular Universal U.S. attractions that are currently there: I never got into the properties in question. I just don't watch a lot of action anime and I don't get as hooked on new stuff now as I did when I was younger. Of the anime attractions Universal Studios Japan has gotten, the only one that featured an anime that I've ever been invested in was Sailor Moon.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    Part of me gets jealous that the American Universal Studios don't get these, but part of me also realizes I'd have the same problem with these anime attractions as I do with many of the regular Universal U.S. attractions that are currently there: I never got into the properties in question. I just don't watch a lot of action anime and I don't get as hooked on new stuff now as I did when I was younger. Of the anime attractions Universal Studios Japan has gotten, the only one that featured an anime that I've ever been invested in was Sailor Moon.
    speaking of which, I want to visit Ghibli Park with all the feature attractions based on several of the movies produced by Studio Ghibli, including Castle in the Sky, My Neighbor Totoro and Howl’s Moving Castle

it is scheduled to open on November 1, 2022,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghibli_Park

Haven't seen Victory (It's one of the few Gundam shows that isn't available on streaming yet unfortunately) so I'm not sure how Haro is utilized in that.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Anyone else watching Spy x Family? This week's episode was great what she did to the car.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    Anyone else watching Spy x Family? This week's episode was great what she did to the car.
    Yep, pretty much my weekend 'new' anime viewing along with Gundam.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Haven't seen Victory (It's one of the few Gundam shows that isn't available on streaming yet unfortunately) so I'm not sure how Haro is utilized in that.
    I did a quick read up and apparently Victory's Haro had a lot of R2D2 qualities including piloting a mobile suit in an emergency and helping the hero out in that regard aswell.

So they had them in that role even before the 2000's.

Incredible Member

The Witch from Mercury is the first Gundam show I’ve seen in years and I’ve been pretty impressed by it so far. Great animation and character design along with an engaging story. My only criticism is I wish it didn’t engage in yuri baiting, as you know a big commercial franchise like Gundam is never going to commit to a yuri relationship for one of its main characters. I mean she’s already got a male suitor so it’s obvious they aren’t going to go anywhere with the yuri stuff.
    Last edited by Top Hat; 10-19-2022 at 02:01 AM.

IBO had one male gay character (although he's not really a major one) and it's confirmed by the writer that the two main female characters are in a relationship at the end of the anime. It's just not really said outright.

Incredible Member

IBO had one male gay character (although he's not really a major one) and it's confirmed by the writer that the two main female characters are in a relationship at the end of the anime. It's just not really said outright.
    I am honestly surprised to hear that. I am nowhere near the knowledge level of many on here about the franchise so I wasn’t aware of the above. It’s a daunting franchise to tackle and not that easy to get into in the UK until more recently. TBH I wouldn’t even know where to start with it, I cannot even remember now what parts I have seen. I probably seen more of Macross than Gundam.

The UC timeline is pretty much the one where most of the series are set, and is mostly available on streaming services (although spread out) with some exceptions such as some of the OAVs.

The SEED/Cosmic Era timeline may be the best for those new to the series. Although it has mixed reactions from some Gundam fans, it's got more modern animation (especially the remastered versions) than a lot of the UC stuff which is fairly dated. It hits a lot of the main Gundam tropes (although it flips some of them)-a space war between Earth and a group of rebellious space colonies, humans evolving in space (although in this case it's more genetic engineering), the HARO mascots, a main base ship for the Gundam, a mysterious character with a mask etc. Mecha-wise It also sort of balances things between the more utilitarian mobile suits of the UC timeline and the more "super robot" suits from G Gundam, Wing, X etc.

Also if you like Macross it has a sort of Minmei-ish character.

Incredible Member

The UC timeline is pretty much the one where most of the series are set, and is mostly available on streaming services (although spread out) with some exceptions such as some of the OAVs.

The SEED/Cosmic Era timeline may be the best for those new to the series. Although it has mixed reactions from some Gundam fans, it's got more modern animation (especially the remastered versions) than a lot of the UC stuff which is fairly dated. It hits a lot of the main Gundam tropes (although it flips some of them)-a space war between Earth and a group of rebellious space colonies, humans evolving in space (although in this case it's more genetic engineering), the HARO mascots, a main base ship for the Gundam, a mysterious character with a mask etc. Mecha-wise It also sort of balances things between the more utilitarian mobile suits of the UC timeline and the more "super robot" suits from G Gundam, Wing, X etc.

Also if you like Macross it has a sort of Minmei-ish character.
    Noob question but what does UC stand for?

Incredible Member

One of the best shows this season, and that’s saying a lot because it’s a very strong season, is Akiba Maid War. It is so utterly ludicrous but also brilliant in its full on commitment to its mad premise of cafe maids acting as violent yakuza. Ranko is a great character all the way from her violent psychopathic idiocy, but also loyalty to her cafe and co workers. The utterly useless manager who manages to make every situation worse is another great character. And we mustn’t forget the MVP that is Panda-kun. Highly recommended.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Top Hat View Post
    Noob question but what does UC stand for?
    Universal Century. It's the main timeline for Gundam - MSG, MSZG, ZZ, Unicorn, MS08th Team etc.

Speaking of UC, 08th MS team is officially streaming on Gundaminfo, the official youtube channel. It's sort of a star-crossed love story + Gundams fighting mostly on Earth (although the first episode is set mostly in space) although it's far from "gritty" (There's plenty of comic relief for example-it's perhaps the most light-hearted of the Gundam OAVs). It's from the late 90s and shares it's character designer with Cowboy Bebop, although his work here is a bit more cartoony (unless you count Ed). Has one of the best Gundam fights as well-the team vs. the Gouf Custom (Goufs are basically somewhat better versions of the main Zaku troops with a lot more melee weapons-just one of them and it's ace pilot also gave the heroes a lot of hell in the original series).