Page 46 of 80 FirstFirst ... 3642434445464748495056 ... LastLast

Gundam doesn't necessarily kill all their characters-most of the main cast survived in the original Gundam; ZETA however did kill off pretty much all the supporting cast apart from Haman, Camille was left in a semi-catatonic state, and Char was missing.

ZZ didn't really kill off anybody except Hayato, the original Ple, a few of the minor supporting characters (an Anaheim engineer and one of the Moon Moon princesses) and the villains. There was a fake-out death with the sister but that was it.

Char pretty much killed off most of the cast (Including Z/ZZ's Astonage) except for Bright, his son, and Char's second in command I think.

The 0080 OAV of course kind of continued that tradition with it's infamous death.

A lot of 0083's cast made it but it was kind of bittersweet since many of them joined the Titans (and were possibly killed during the Gryps war) and apparently Snynapse died offscreen.

Still haven't seen Victory but I heard that's pretty rough.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Incredible Member

Though it’s not perfect, bits of it seem a bit overly weird, Made in the Abyss season one must be one of the best anime shows I’ve seen in some time.

Was helping hand out Halloween candy last night and some great costumes. Had of course joker, harley, pokemon, sonic, princess peach, paw patrol, spider-man (tons of them!), many captain americas, a high schooler as superman, full family as nightmare before christmas! Sub-zero complete with blue hair! (Way to get extra credit their kid.) Kid dressed as Pugsley addams was a surprise. It was the animated movie version of course. A kid was a Christmas gnome complete with santa beard (????) The big surprise however was not one but two demon slayers! Both were little kids and not together! One even had a toy demon slayer sword!

Never would have thought i would see kids as demon slayer! Pretty neat to see kids dress up as anime heroes.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Gundam doesn't necessarily kill all their characters-most of the main cast survived in the original Gundam; ZETA however did kill off pretty much all the supporting cast apart from Haman, Camille was left in a semi-catatonic state, and Char was missing.

ZZ didn't really kill off anybody except Hayato, the original Ple, a few of the minor supporting characters (an Anaheim engineer and one of the Moon Moon princesses) and the villains. There was a fake-out death with the sister but that was it.

Char pretty much killed off most of the cast (Including Z/ZZ's Astonage) except for Bright, his son, and Char's second in command I think.

The 0080 OAV of course kind of continued that tradition with it's infamous death.

A lot of 0083's cast made it but it was kind of bittersweet since many of them joined the Titans (and were possibly killed during the Gryps war) and apparently Snynapse died offscreen.

Still haven't seen Victory but I heard that's pretty rough.
    From what i recall Tomino actualy wanted Amuro Ray to die at the end of the original MSG, so Camille was like a second attempt, only instead of killing him, he "just" has his mind fried (and he gets better by the end of ZZ).

Also you forgot 08th team (supporting heros survive) and F91 (supporting pilot dies, ship crew survives), though the later has pretty few named characters overall.

So yeah Gundam as franchise is neither afraid of pulling near wipe outs of named characters or most of the cast surviving.

SPY X FAMILY's another funny Anya-focused episode as she tries to get closer to Damien by helping him with a school project-with hilarious results. There's also a small bit on Sylvia and a post-credit scene sort of setting up the next episode and also explaining why Yuri has built-up immunity to his sister's cooking.
    He might have an immunity, but his stomach still doesn't forgive him for consuming it.

I haven't read them but Amuro dies in the novel adaptation-which I think is a bit closer to his original intentions for the original series before the toy sponsors got in/the cancellation.

Think he also intended for Amuro and Sayla to have a romance, although there's very little of that in the actual series, especially compared to Frau's unrequited feelings, his crush on Matilda and of course Lalah. Would've added an extra layer to the Char/Amuro rivalry. It's too bad that Sayla pretty much is written out of the series after the original, apart from a short cameo in Z and an extended cameo towards the end of ZZ, since she's pretty much the female lead and the third most important character after Amuro and Char.

A lot of them are pretty harsh with civilian characters that only show up in short bits or a few parts of an episode, even in relatively small scale mobile suit fights instead of stuff like the colony drops. F91's opening scenes show Jegans doing a lot of collateral damage, 0080 has a similar montage although not quite as brutal, Unicorn has the character's friends pretty much disintegrated in the first episode, and most recently Hathaway showed how terrifying some MS fights look from the ground.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 11-01-2022 at 03:20 PM.

Astonishing Member

I haven't read them but Amuro dies in the novel adaptation-which I think is a bit closer to his original intentions for the original series before the toy sponsors got in/the cancellation.

Think he also intended for Amuro and Sayla to have a romance, although there's very little of that in the actual series, especially compared to Frau's unrequited feelings, his crush on Matilda and of course Lalah. Would've added an extra layer to the Char/Amuro rivalry. It's too bad that Sayla pretty much is written out of the series after the original, apart from a short cameo in Z and an extended cameo towards the end of ZZ, since she's pretty much the female lead and the third most important character after Amuro and Char.
    Not to forget that as Char's sister and only other (and later living) offspring of Zum Deikon she is technicaly a big deal in universe. Yet Minvera Zabi of all people gets a lot more importance down the line that her.

While it's certainly nice for her to be able stay away from all these things and live a relative normal life, narratively speaking it's a bit of a waste that her character fades away so quickly after the original show.

A lot of them are pretty harsh with civilian characters that only show up in short bits or a few parts of an episode, even in relatively small scale mobile suit fights instead of stuff like the colony drops. F91's opening scenes show Jegans doing a lot of collateral damage, 0080 has a similar montage although not quite as brutal, Unicorn has the character's friends pretty much disintegrated in the first episode, and most recently Hathaway showed how terrifying some MS fights look from the ground.
    Obviously the creators of Gundam shows seldomly shy away from showing the effects of war and weapons inflict on the civilian population including what 20 meter tall war machines with giant machine guns, missiles or energy projection weapons would do.

The irony that the shows tend to have strong anti-war messages like that, while being primarily financed via a company selling models of war machines from the shows to kids because they look cool has often been questioned (0080 pretty much makes it a central part of the main characters arc. Going from marveling at war machines to basicly dreading war because he learned what it does to good people).

However i thought the discussion was about the average mortality rate of named characters/heros?

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Oh, yeah! I'd eat there in a heartbeat!
    Me too! Oishii [美味しい]

Last edited by K7P5V; 11-02-2022 at 03:15 AM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Astonishing Member

Now I’m hungry….
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

SPY X FAMILY had a pretty good episode, the Anya stuff wasn't quite as funny as last week but the Twilight stuff-where we meet the "anti-Twilight" in many ways-was very good.

Looks like my hunch about WITCH FROM MERCURY's direction was right. Also, some additional Gundam tropes such as Gundam vs. Gundam and the Gundam getting an upgrade (Although just a small one to make it more adapted to space combat-it's also revealed the "G-Bits" can form a sort of stabilizer fin in addition to their shield/rifle/drone combinations) and some sort of new Gundam feature that creates a field, although it's unclear exactly what it means or how it works compared to the psycho fields/trans-am/Hyper mode etc from other shows.

Also there's a new fan theory, sort of bolstered by several developments and hints this episode, that Suelleta might not be all she seems, or the person we thought she was literally.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 11-06-2022 at 08:39 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    The lack of rides and flashy attractions and focus on displays and exhibits kind of reminds me of the old kiddie parks they would have in the Adirondack area in the '50s, only bigger and more detailed. You probably know the kind of place I'm talking about. Some guy would buy a plot of land, and then just build a park largely occupied by little nursery rhyme or fairy tale houses and statuary. Maybe there'd be some animals like actual billy goats in the "Three Billy Goats Gruff" area. If there was any kind of rides it would be like a horse and carriage or some swan boats.

Though, granted, most of those places shut down or eventually installed carnival-style flat rides and roller coasters. But still, it feels rare for anyone to create a park largely dedicated to walking around and looking at stuff.

Incredible Member

Suelleta is really starting to annoy me. Can anyone really be that naive and blind to things. I am starting to wonder if the whole thing is an act. Not a bad episode but I feel they need to break out of the duel of the week rut the show has got into. Poor Elan but you could kind of see where that was going from the start.

Astonishing Member

I feel like I should say something about the current anime season.

Uh . . .

Um . . .

DoItYourself_anime.jpg
    Still enjoying watching high school girls build things. Do It Yourself is just a solid slice-of-life hobby series.

Also, Spy x Family's good. As expected from having read the manga. More Than a Married Couple, Not Quite Lovers (a late pick-up for me) is good, frothy fun. As expected from the premise and genre. Raven of the Inner Palace is beautiful and intriguing as the premise and promo images suggested.

Look, is it my fault that all the anime I watch are just "exactly what it said on the tin"?