Page 5 of 78 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    So the movie will probably go straight to Netflix here, as there really isn't that a big a market for it except for those who watched the show.

But in general, outside of Miyazaki, anime doesn't open in theaters here.
    If covid wasn't a thing I'm certain it would've aired in theatres in America as well.

Maybe for a limited time, as plenty of other recent anime movies have done, but it would've aired and probably done really well at the box office.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    If covid wasn't a thing I'm certain it would've aired in theatres in America as well.

Maybe for a limited time, as plenty of other recent anime movies have done, but it would've aired and probably done really well at the box office.
    In a limited way. Spirited Away only made $10 million domestically. Anime is still a niche market in America.

Anyway, I am looking forward to it. Hope it's on Netflix this year.

I also hope they limited Zensitu's screaming in the movie.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 02-02-2021 at 08:10 AM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Good heavens! Why didn't someone tell me about The Promised Neverland sooner? What an incredible, and shocking series!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

n a limited way. Spirited Away only made $10 million domestically.
    Spirited away was in a crappy limited fathom events like release. Funny thing is they did this with ponyo also but had ads all over disney channel. They ended up getting tons of complaints from parents who wanted to take their kids but could not find it as it was limited release! They had people wanting to see it but could not find it!

Ironic thing is even in crappy limited release dragonball z, and our hero academia films still came in first place at the american box office in only about 300 screenings!

How much would they have made in wide release! Films like your name and weathering with you made the top 5 in crappy limited release! Again if they can do that in limited release how much would they have made in wide release!

Anime overseas is treated like any animated film and many get wide releases of studio ghibili, doreamon and detective conan films but in america they are treated worse then animated films. They are treated like comic book films were pre 70s pretty much.

But in the end i think it's up to the movie and brand. If it's something america does not care for i can't see it hitting big box office here.
    Last edited by Gaastra; 02-02-2021 at 09:30 AM.

The series is HUGE in Japan.
    They have toys and books, shirts, models and stuff based on it everywhere in japan! It's everywhere!

This guy is looking at some toys here.

So the movie will probably go straight to Netflix here,
    They confirmed it's getting a theatre release in america but we don't know if it's wide or crappy fathom release. The movie has broke records in japan and is a hit in two other countries also. Not sure how big demon slayer is in america however.

https://comicbook.com/anime/news/dem...till-possible/
    Last edited by Gaastra; 02-02-2021 at 09:29 AM.

Astonishing Member

How American Animation Influenced Anime

Very good video from two years ago about how American animation played a part in the origins of the anime industry we all enjoy so much today. Figured, I‘d share it here.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

It's kind of interesting that pretty much *every* anime (either based or manga or not) seems to have at least one movie, and even some of the bigger ones have numbers of entries that rival big franchises over here.

Granted, some are just TV or OAV compilations with maybe a dash of new animation or continuity changes, or barely over OAV quality. However, there's certainly been some that've really stood out (Lupin: Castle of Cagliostro, End of Evangelion, Uresei Yatsura 2, the Patlabor films, Macross: DYRL etc. to name just a few).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Incredible Member Robotech Master's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    The Black Clover anime is ending soon.

My guess is that they're getting a wee bit too close to the manga storyline. So instead of overtaking it or making up a long ass filler arc to pad things out, the anime is taking a break so that the manga can create some more distance.

There're also some rumors that the studio will be handling the final arc of Bleach, so the Black Clover budget might go into that instead. But that's just a rumor.
    Yeah, there will be a special announcement when it ends in 8 episodes. Seems like it will pull a Fairy Tail and just end in the middle of an arc and have to pick up with another production.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Good heavens! Why didn't someone tell me about The Promised Neverland sooner? What an incredible, and shocking series!
    Watched the first episode on your recommendation. I'm going, okay it's cute and then OMG!!
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    How American Animation Influenced Anime

Very good video from two years ago about how American animation played a part in the origins of the anime industry we all enjoy so much today. Figured, I‘d share it here.
    It's worth noting I think that the much beloved claymation (and some cell animated) Christmas specials from the 60s-70s? Basically a lot of Japanese work on those. Also pretty much a ton of American 80's Saturday morning cartoons (Which Marvel comics also had a hand in) not including obviously translated anime like Robotech and Voltron of course.

Granted, they might not look like anime most of the time (although definetly some 80's anime style slipped into the 80's stuff with Toei and Akon etc.).
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 02-03-2021 at 12:18 PM.

There's also the weird case of Galaxy High which was intended to be Uresei Yatsura in reverse (and well, obviously a bit more Saturday morning kids friendly), and created by Chris Columbus of Gremlins/Goonies/Home Alone/Harry Potter fame.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galaxy_High Curiously the Wiki doesn't mention this but I've read that was the intention from other sources, including Uresei Yatsura's page itself. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urusei_Yatsura

Some have noted that some of the drawings of the main female character are basically traced from Lum.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 02-03-2021 at 12:23 PM.

Detective conan The 1000 episode tv movie will be a remake of one of the best early mysteries! Moonlight Sonata!

Great choice!

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-ne...c-1996-episode

Anyone else watched Ajin? It's a fun series that improved on character models, like Parasyte: The Maxim did.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    There's also the weird case of Galaxy High which was intended to be Uresei Yatsura in reverse (and well, obviously a bit more Saturday morning kids friendly), and created by Chris Columbus of Gremlins/Goonies/Home Alone/Harry Potter fame.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galaxy_High Curiously the Wiki doesn't mention this but I've read that was the intention from other sources, including Uresei Yatsura's page itself. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urusei_Yatsura

Some have noted that some of the drawings of the main female character are basically traced from Lum.
    The Earth boy killed a fly...then found out it was a classmate!

Watched all of Promised Neverland. Really enjoyed it, great to see a show were everyone is smart.
    Any word on season 2?