Page 51 of 80 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561 ... LastLast

Very good Witch From Mercury (Unfortunately we'll have to wait two weeks for the next episode, and then thats when the "cour" ends so it means an even longer wait). First part mainly focuses on Suletta's misunderstanding of her friends's intentions, as she's been misdirected by Elan (Who she still thinks is the same guy as his double), as well as more plotting...and then finally the attack with the two Gundams. There's a lot of fluid animation in this episode instead of talking heads, including a fun scene where Suletta and Mio get into an argument. Plus we get a quick look at Aerial's "mid season upgrade" which seems to have more armor and a face vent instead of the more Zeta/Exia like head it had before. Although it's only seen from one angle.

Sophie and Norea seem to be the latest incarnation of psychotic enemy pilots (The Trinities, Frosts, Boosted men, etc.)
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 12-25-2022 at 04:36 PM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Spy X family season finale is mostly Loid and Desmond sizing each other up in a long tense scene, sort of a very quiet finale after the crazy tennis episodes. Yor only shows up for a minute and Anya has some funny bits but it's definitely a Loid-centric finale.

Incredible Member

Well that was the best episode of Witch from Mercury since the preview episode. I don’t think Suletta will have to worry about going short of lunch again as I don’t think everyone of her friends is going to get out of the next episode alive. The way Suletta’s mother treats really puts my teeth on edge as it wouldn’t surprise me if she didn’t throw her under the bus if she thought it was necessary. The scene with Suletta and Miorine was really good. Though of course they have to get split up literally afterwards.

Guessing one of the male friends or Lillique is going to buy it. Chu-Chu, Nika and Miorone still seem somewhat important. Not sure Jeturk is actually guaranteed either; there is a Gundam similar to his Dariiblade coming up, but it could easily be his brother's.

You might also notice that Dolling and Prospera have now vanished from the opening and have been replaced with Sophie and Norea. Kind of wonder if after the next episode we're getting a new opening sequence. Think Gundam series these days usually have four if they're around 50 episodes or so.

Extraordinary Member

I haven't seen as many anime this year as previous years. But damn if I didn't enjoy the ones I did see.

SPY X FAMILY basically got a perfect adaptation.
    Kaguya-sama: Love is War is a rom-com masterpiece.
    Bleach: The Thousand-Year Blood War was ten years in the making and is just absolutely wonderful, finally giving the arc and the series the love and respect it deserves.

I've seen some others series as well, but those three are probably my favourites this year.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Spy X family season finale is mostly Loid and Desmond sizing each other up in a long tense scene, sort of a very quiet finale after the crazy tennis episodes. Yor only shows up for a minute and Anya has some funny bits but it's definitely a Loid-centric finale.
    His talk with what is basically the final boss of the series does highlight just how much Loid has grown from the first episode of the season, rounding out the season quite well. So I think it's ok.

And the recent PV for the next season highlighted coming arcs that focus quite a lot on Yor. So that'll be great.

And the series is getting a movie! That'll be fun.

Sui Generis Member Tobei Miyake's Avatar

Origin's kind of interesting in that the anime really only adapts the early parts of the manga and presents itself as a prequel to the first anime ("To be continued in Mobile Suit Gundam") but it's clear the manga is a major re-telling of the story with several details changed.
    I guess it's sort of an alternate UC canon...
    A few years back there was a Forbes article that talked about that.

Normally when you write a story, you start at the beginning. However, in the case of the Gundam: The Origin anime adaptation you start before the beginning. That said, the results in the Chronicle of Char and Sayla prove that this approach can definitely work.

For those unaware, Gundam: The Origin was a manga retelling of the original Mobile Suit Gundam penned by Yoshikazu Yasuhiko. The manga changed and moved many events around compared to the original anime and it also more importantly fleshed out large chunks of the original backstory.

In the manga of Gundam: The Origin, it starts where the original anime series also begins and broadly follows much the same route, though with some interesting improvements.

However, a good chunk through the manga we delve into the past of Char Aznable and how he came to be the feared Red Comet. It is here where this anime adaptation of Gundam: The Origin starts and it's a fascinating angle to take on the narrative.

This is because Char’s real name is Casval Deikun and he was the son of Zeon Deikun, this being the spiritual figurehead of the space colonies and someone who fought hard for their independence from Earth rule. Unfortunately, Zeon Deikun’s financial backers were the power hungry Zabi family.

They ended up assassinating Zeon Deikun and used his death to create the Principality of Zeon and start a war with the Earth Federation, in the hopes of creating an empire of their own.

In the original Mobile Suit Gundam, none of this is shown and only referenced by things certain characters say, namely between Char and his sister Sayla. In addition, much of how the early parts of the conflict between the Principality of Zeon and the Earth Federation played out was never animated and it is here where this Gundam: The Origin adaptation is so important.

While Gundam: The Origin is effectively an alternate version of the events in the original Mobile Suit Gundam, it does cover much of the important backstory that leads up to the events that would transpire in the brutal One Year War.
    From the excellent animation throughout to the warm characterization that harks back to the original Mobile Suit Gundam, the result is something that feels powerfully nostalgic and yet is wholly new.

When someone asks where's a good place to start at with Gundam, I now say start with Origin. Start at what is basically the beginning.

Well, I really say start at Hathaway because I like it better (and just watch the video that Netflix put together if they want to know more about Hathaway Noa). But Origin is as good a place to start.

Gundam in one of the few anime that I watch dubbed. Mainly because it's not set in Japan, and almost none of the characters are Japanese. So I may as well watch it in English.

I recently watched the Spy x Family episode 1. It was really awesome.

Only problem with Hathaway is that it's kind of based heavily on the events of Char's Counterattack, which in turn is based heavily on the Amuro/Char conflict from the original. I suppose one could skip "Zeta Gundam" (before seeing CCA, but not in general as it's pretty good) as the events between Amuro and Char in that are largely mentioned in CCA in passing or somewhat ignored altogether, and Char's version of Neo-Zeon is largely distinct from Haman Khan's version (Although the two merge in "Unicorn" as the Sleeves). Hathaway himself of course also debuts in Zeta but doesn't do too much except become a hostage for the Titans in the Hong Kong arc.

I generally watch 0080, 0083 and Wing dubbed because I'm most used to them that way but generally watch the others subtitled. 0080 had some pretty good work with David "Snake" Hayter as Bernie and 0083's is pretty good (especially with a lot of the older characters like Synapse and Burning) although the Kou voice is a bit iffy.

Wing I think was done by Ocean Group, which shared a lot of VAs with the original dub of DBZ (Where the voices were pretty decent, although the translation was awkward due to heavy censorship). Pretty sure Zechs was done by the Vegeta actor, for example.

The original movie trilogy also had a dub but apparently it was *way* off translation wise.

Pretty sure Zechs was done by the Vegeta actor, for example.
    Indeed. Did you check out his return in DBS

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Of anime shows I've watched that came out in 2022, here's my top ten (in alphabetical order):

Akebi's Sailor Uniform - Shojo shows are a big draw for me, and this one is precious

Birdie Wing: Golf Girls' Story - I'm a nut for sports anime with girls, this show makes golf amazing

Healer Girl - a surprisingly good slice of life show with teen girls who use songs they sing to help heal people

Love After World Domination - This Power Rangers spoof with a Romeo and Juliet spin is funny as hell

Lycoris Recoil - A reviewer called this a combination of John Wick and Gunslinger Girl, and it's spot on right

My Dress-Up Darling - One of the first shows I watched when '22 rolled around, and it remains at the top of my list

Shikimori's Not Just A Cutie - The star of this show IS cool, and I love watching this romcom

Spy X Family - Practically everyone has gushed over this show, and the hype is definitely warranted

The Executioner And Her Way Of Life - One of the better fantasy shows I've watched in quite some time

Ya Boy Kongming - This show is slick and fun, and the opening is awesome on steroids
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 12-27-2022 at 09:05 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Incredible Member

Is it me or is the next season of shows a bit thin on quality. The only two shows that really leap out at me as worth a look are the second season of Vinland Saga (I still need to watch the last six episodes of season one first), and Trigun Stampede, though I am not sure about the mixed media animation style on that. Will probably give the Nier anime a look as I liked the game. But every other show I am not really getting much of desire to watch at the moment.

Incredible Member

My favourite shows of 2022 in no particular order were Lycoris Recoil, Akiba Maid War, Made in Abyss Season 2, Birdie Wing: Golf Girls Story, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Do It Yourself, My Hero Academia season six, Gundam Witch From Mercury and Cyberpunk 2077: Edgerunners. There is a couple of shows that I still haven’t got around to watching like The Executioner And Her Way of Life and Yo Boy Kongming that probably would be on there had I seen them.
    Last edited by Top Hat; 12-27-2022 at 10:09 AM.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Top Hat View Post
    My favourite shows of 2022 in no particular order were Lycoris Recoil, Akiba Maid War, Made in Abyss Season 2, Birdie Wing: Golf Girls Story, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Do It Yourself, My Hero Academia season six, Gundam Witch From Mercury and Cyberpunk 2077: Edgerunners. There is a couple of shows that I still haven’t got around to watching like The Executioner And Her Way of Life and Yo Boy Kongming that probably would be on there had I seen them.
    Never been much of a Gundam fan, but I’ll give Witch From Mercury a looksee, ditto for Akiba Maid War and Do It Yourself. By the by, a second season of Birdie Wing is on the way in ‘23.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Never been much of a Gundam fan, but I’ll give Witch From Mercury a looksee, ditto for Akiba Maid War and Do It Yourself. By the by, a second season of Birdie Wing is on the way in ‘23.
    Yeah it was meant to be in this current season but for unspecified reasons it has been delayed until April.