Page 52 of 80 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662 ... LastLast

Season's Greetings!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Only problem with Hathaway is that it's kind of based heavily on the events of Char's Counterattack, which in turn is based heavily on the Amuro/Char conflict from the original. I suppose one could skip "Zeta Gundam" (before seeing CCA, but not in general as it's pretty good) as the events between Amuro and Char in that are largely mentioned in CCA in passing or somewhat ignored altogether, and Char's version of Neo-Zeon is largely distinct from Haman Khan's version (Although the two merge in "Unicorn" as the Sleeves). Hathaway himself of course also debuts in Zeta but doesn't do too much except become a hostage for the Titans in the Hong Kong arc.
    Yeah. Hathaway is basicly part of the extended swansong to the Zeta era of UC Gundam with it's characters and events that originated in MSG and it's constant arms rams of psycommu technology based mobile suits and their weapons.

Char's Counterattack was originaly the swan song to original UC Gundam (MSG-> Zeta -> ZZ).
    It then spawned, as far as i roughly recall, two quasi-epiloge stories in form of the novels Hathaway's Flash and Beltorchika's Children (which was based on the novelization of Char's Counterattack).

But then the alternate universe shows started to struggle and the post CCA eras (F91/Crossbone, Victory) never spawned as much interests, so they went back to the old reliable and created a swan song to Char's Counterattack and the Zeta alike with Gundam Unicorn. Only they now once again returned to the old reliable and created the third swan song by adapating Hathaway's Flash, only they now also added elements exclusively created for Unicorn.

So it's kind of difficult to ignore that it's basicly like the 6th layer on a cake (MSG-> Zeta-> ZZ-> CC-> Unicorn-> Hathayway), all building on characters, events and technologies established in the previous.

Though someone once told me that the best way to get people into Gundam or at least the UC universe these days is by recommending them one of the games (preferably a OYW based one).

I generally watch 0080, 0083 and Wing dubbed because I'm most used to them that way but generally watch the others subtitled. 0080 had some pretty good work with David "Snake" Hayter as Bernie and 0083's is pretty good (especially with a lot of the older characters like Synapse and Burning) although the Kou voice is a bit iffy.
    No Seed or 00? Feels like those and Wings were the only AU shows (that are thematicaly close to the original unlike G) to turn some heads at the time and create new Gundam fans.

BANNED

Me and my original character wishing you a happy new year...270015966_468087141559326_6097785408782905657_n.jpg

I've watched SEED and 00. Just subtitled, not dubbed

There's some free Gundam multiplayer games like Battle Operation 2 and the recent Evolution although they're more about the mechs than any meaningful story content. PS2 when it first came out had an OK series of UC games (Journey To Jaburo, Encounters in space, Federation vs Zeon, Zeonic Front), although they're really dated now and most notable for re-animating a lot of the original series as cutscenes.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 12-29-2022 at 07:47 AM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Not a big deal but they just revealed the Haro voice actors for Witch from Mercury. The Orange one that plugs into everything is the voice of Saddiq, while the more classic green version that Rouji uses also voices Chu-Chu.

Spectacular Member SavageJudgeDredd's Avatar

Good to see people talking Gundam! I love that classic Tomino stuff (MSG, Zeta, Char etc), and I've always got an epic backlog watchlist too. Currently on 08th MS Team.

^^^OMG! I remember watching The 08th MS Team on the afternoon version of TOONAMI

Last edited by K7P5V; 01-02-2023 at 02:12 AM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Incredible Member

A poll of Japanese fans has named Lycoris Recoil as their top show of 2022. Boochi the Rock was number two, with Dropkick on my Devil at number three. A very different top three to ANN’s top three last time I looked in their fan poll. Out of interest for those on this thread the new Gundam show didn’t even get into the top ten.

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-ne...-anime-of-2022

Sui Generis Member Tobei Miyake's Avatar

Only problem with Hathaway is that it's kind of based heavily on the events of Char's Counterattack, which in turn is based heavily on the Amuro/Char conflict from the original. I suppose one could skip "Zeta Gundam" (before seeing CCA, but not in general as it's pretty good) as the events between Amuro and Char in that are largely mentioned in CCA in passing or somewhat ignored altogether, and Char's version of Neo-Zeon is largely distinct from Haman Khan's version (Although the two merge in "Unicorn" as the Sleeves). Hathaway himself of course also debuts in Zeta but doesn't do too much except become a hostage for the Titans in the Hong Kong arc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Yeah. Hathaway is basicly part of the extended swansong to the Zeta era of UC Gundam with it's characters and events that originated in MSG and it's constant arms rams of psycommu technology based mobile suits and their weapons.

Char's Counterattack was originaly the swan song to original UC Gundam (MSG-> Zeta -> ZZ).
    It then spawned, as far as i roughly recall, two quasi-epiloge stories in form of the novels Hathaway's Flash and Beltorchika's Children (which was based on the novelization of Char's Counterattack).

But then the alternate universe shows started to struggle and the post CCA eras (F91/Crossbone, Victory) never spawned as much interests, so they went back to the old reliable and created a swan song to Char's Counterattack and the Zeta alike with Gundam Unicorn. Only they now once again returned to the old reliable and created the third swan song by adapating Hathaway's Flash, only they now also added elements exclusively created for Unicorn.

So it's kind of difficult to ignore that it's basicly like the 6th layer on a cake (MSG-> Zeta-> ZZ-> CC-> Unicorn-> Hathayway), all building on characters, events and technologies established in the previous.
    Right. Netflix added Char's Counterattack when they released Hathaway, and they have that video primer for Hathaway Noa. So they have everything covered.

And just speaking for myself, but I don't think you even need to see Char's Counterattack to understand and enjoy Hathaway.

Netflix made a video about that:

Someone who isn't familiar with Gundam would probably be best to speak to that though.

One thing I do know is, and I'm a bit surprised it happened, but Hathaway Noa became my favorite anime character.

It used to be Kaneda from AKIRA, so I was surprised that I like Hathaway Noa more.

And his Xi Gundam is my favorite Gundam now too. It's the first Gundam kit that I've bought in years. And now I have one Gundam and I will stop there before it gets out of hand.

I was hoping Bandai would make a Perfect Grade Xi Gundam and that would be my one Gundam, but I guess they're not going to do that. Or they still might, because it took a few years before they made a Perfect Grade Unicorn Gundam (they basically waited until it was over). I don't know if the Xi Gundam is anywhere near as popular as that one though.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Hat View Post
    A poll of Japanese fans has named Lycoris Recoil as their top show of 2022. Boochi the Rock was number two, with Dropkick on my Devil at number three. A very different top three to ANN’s top three last time I looked in their fan poll. Out of interest for those on this thread the new Gundam show didn’t even get into the top ten.

I'm a Universal Century fan and don't really watch AU Gundam, but I was curious how it was going to be received when they announced it.

It's still doing fine though, isn't it.

Pretty much. It hasn't really started the whole 'space war' thing yet, but it's a bit like Gundam Wing which pretty much spends the first ten episodes building up the characters until Oz's coup sets the main plot in motion.

Regarding 08th Ms team, it's interesting that it has the same designer as Cowboy Bebop-Kiki and Michel kind of look like a proto-Ed.

I think the main problem some have with it is that it pretty much messes with the continuity of the original show a bit, by having mass-produced Gundams that aren't GMs, and even introducing the GM itself a bit earlier in the war too. (What's also weird is that the space GMs are the 0083 version). Kind of like how one of the criticisms of the Star Trek prequels is that the technology looks too advanced compared to the original series.

Then again the other OAVs are kind of guilty of that too. For example, originally there was a very clear line from the the original Gundam design to Gundam Mark II, but it turns out there were a bunch of other suits in-between like the Akex, the GP series, the Hazel etc.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 01-02-2023 at 03:58 PM.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Top Hat View Post

Whoa! I'm surprised Lycoris Recoil overtook Spy X Family (both of which I'm watching) for the top spot. As for Bocchi the Rock, I'll have to give that show a looksee.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 01-03-2023 at 04:57 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Think the Hathaway Gundams are supposed to be sort of the last generation of big Zeta-style suits before they start to shrink everything down in F91 and Victory (and also to a degree the 90's AUs which largely kept the same scale).

The novel I think makes it more clear, that they're in the Z/ZZ/S family of Gundams.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 01-03-2023 at 10:06 AM.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

When it comes to anime, I thought I had seen it all, but then, along came Akiba Maid War (airing on HiDive). And it sounds just like that as rival maid cafes in 1999 Akihabara engage in shootouts when they're not doing typical cutesy pie maid cafe stuff, including a THIRTY-FIVE year old chick (the one holding the six-shooter in the picture below) I call "Joan Wick" for her insane gunplay in the first episode! Crazy as heck!

Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 01-04-2023 at 01:23 PM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Incredible Member

The final episode of Witch from Mercury has been delayed another day in Japan due to Covid-19. How much this will impact CR is unclear at this time.

Looks like it'll air on Japanese standard TV at the regular time, but the streaming is delayed.

Anybody watch the new Trigun?