Page 56 of 80 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Cartoon network will air the one piece / dragonball Z crossover on toonami.

https://comicbook.com/anime/news/dra...ver-announced/
    Oh, wow. I remember watching the sub a few years back. Its fun, just forget about the HUGE difference in raw power. But I bet it will spark new calls for more crossover content. Not so much for Toriko, but One Piece and Dragon Ball for sure.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I'm probably the only one here who likes this show, but I'm excited that a third season of Umamusume: Pretty Derby is coming in 2023:

https://www.fandompost.com/2023/02/2...al-2023-plans/
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Demon slayer swordman gets a R rating in america while it's pg-13 many other places! History repeats itself!

Anime censorship in America has always struck me as a bit odd at times. Dragonball Z's earlier seasons/dub being perhaps the most ridiculous example.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Anime censorship in America has always struck me as a bit odd at times. Dragonball Z's earlier seasons/dub being perhaps the most ridiculous example.
    What about the early One Piece ones where they replaced rice balls with cookies, muskets with super soaker and a pistol with a hammer on a spring?

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    What about the early One Piece ones where they replaced rice balls with cookies, muskets with super soaker and a pistol with a hammer on a spring?
    LOL! Not to mention CardCaptor Sakura being changed into Cardcaptors

Today's TRIGUN STAMPEDE was a flashback episode, this time with Vash's life after the ships fell (Possibly centuries before Trigun's "present") and he is adopted by the survivors of a more intact ship (Which many fans on reedit and some reviews presume eventually becomes the modern "Sand Steamer" from the past two episodes-there seems to be a scene of modern Vash waking up in a room very similar to his old one, and the "Plant" looks similar.) with one being friendly and the other being cautious, although eventually warming to him a bit (He shares a name and some attributes with an original Trigun character). Thinking the next episode might deal with what happens to the ship, how the desert planet civilization started as a result, Vash's arm etc and the start of Knives forming his group of altered criminals/cyborgs.

The character design of Luida seems to be a mix of Rem and Meryl, probably intentionally as she seems a mother figure for Vash in the years between the two. Luida might even be Meryl's great-something grandmother too.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 02-25-2023 at 12:26 PM.

Worse than the hamfisted introduction of Sailors Uranus and Neptune, overt lesbians in a relationship as "cousins" in the original DIC dub of Sailor Moon?
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 02-26-2023 at 04:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Worse than the hamfisted introduction of Sailors Uranus and Neptune, overt lesbians in a relationship as "cousins" in the original DIC dub of Sailor Moon?
    They did turn Goku into Superman. One dub had when people die, instead, be "sent to the next dimension". Not worse than Uranus and Neptune, but certainly not great.

Oddly enough, despite being a bit older, Ranma 1/2 dub isn't bad. Other than the pronunciation of "Sasuke" that is. And they later on get the same VAs that Inuyasha had as well.

Or guns becoming pointing fingers. Nothing communicates the need for a character to jump out of a high window like a couple of goons pointing fingers at them.
    Dark does not mean deep.

The original voice actors for DBZ, the Ocean Group, weren't really what was wrong, just the bizarre censorship/script. Same group of VAs did Ranma 1/2 (Which didn't have to deal with censorship as it didn't get a US TV release, at least not a widespread one) and Gundam Wing. The voice for Zechs in Gundam Wing was the original Vegeta for example, the original Piccolo was Scott Mcneil, who also voiced Duo etc.

The DBZ voice actors for the past twenty years pretty much based their voices on the foundation the Ocean dub had already built, minus the "Next dimension" and other stuff.

Oh, yeah, something else from the DIC Sailor Moon dub I just remembered: Zoicite, one of Queen Beryl’s generals who was openly androgynous had been voiced by a woman because he and Malachite were an item.

Talking

That was my favorite case of unnecessary censorship back in the day. During the 1990s and early 2000s (hey, dubs took a long time to reach us back then) my friends, my female relatives, and I had tons of fun making jokes about this growing up after we went on the Internet and learned the truth. Even before we learned the truth we thought their relationship as "cousins" was odd and way too close.
    Last edited by Celgress; 02-26-2023 at 08:02 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Oddly enough, despite being a bit older, Ranma 1/2 dub isn't bad. Other than the pronunciation of "Sasuke" that is. And they later on get the same VAs that Inuyasha had as well.
    OMG! Didn't notice the changes. For what it's worth, I'll always love OG Ranma ½

Oh, yeah, something else from the DIC Sailor Moon dub I just remembered: Zoicite, one of Queen Beryl’s generals who was openly androgynous had been voiced by a woman because he and Malachite were an item.
    70s and 80s anime has androgynous characters as a rule rather than an exception. Those who weren't were typically either hulking, old, or bombshells.
    Dark does not mean deep.