Page 68 of 80 FirstFirst ... 185864656667686970717278 ... LastLast
Results 1,006 to 1,020 of 1187

Quote Originally Posted by Top Hat View Post
    The Fist of the North Star Manga to mark its fortieth anniversary is to get a new anime adaptation.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...-anime/.202260
    Awesome! Can't wait for it to premiere on Toonami/Adult Swim

Last edited by K7P5V; 09-13-2023 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Added Helpful Links.

Recently read the Gundam novel adaptatation. It's quite interesting in that it's a very loose adaptation with some major differences (Done by Tomino).

-A lot of the lead-up to the war is more fleshed out, such as the rise of the Zabi family. Some of the details would wind up in Gundam: The Origin.

-Amuro, Kai and Hayato are not civilians recruited into the EFF but already soldiers.

-Amuro and Hayato die, with Kai the only survivor of the White Base Mobile suit team, just like the broader UC continuity where Hayato dies in ZZ and Amuro presumabely does in CCA.

-No Gelgoogs, Goufs etc, the Rick Dom is the only replacement for the Zaku II.

-Char has a more focused Newtype corps of Rick Doms and Mobile Armors.

-Lalah's arc is kind of broken into three characters, herself who communicates only telepathically with Amuro, then Kusco Ai who is kind of a girlfriend to Amuro, and finally a more developed Challia Bull.

-Amuro still telepathically warns the Pegasus crew to get out from A Ba Wa Qu, but as a ghost.

-White Base's name and class is flipped. It's a White Base-class cruiser Pegasus. Also there are two of them after the first is destroyed at Texas colony.

-On the same note, there's two Gundams, the first is also destroyed at Texas, replaced by the RX-78-3 which is gray.

-At the end of the novel Pegasus teams up with Char and Kycillia to overthrow Gihren after he uses the Solar Ray on his own forces. Like in the anime Kycillia kills Gihren, except with a much bigger gun; Char then throws her off his Rick Dom instead of the bazooka from the anime. Instead of fleeing to Axis and eventually becoming Quattro etc. he's part of the new Zeon leadership.

-Frau and the orphans are dropped off fairly quickly and only play a small role in the story.

-Amuro and Sayla have a much closer relationship, something only hinted at in the TV series. Also she doesn't get the G-armor/Core Booster at all.

-Sleggar also survives.

-The Earth stuff is skipped entirely, although Garma and Ramba Ral still play a part, although Ral's characterization is entirely different, he's a mostly loyal Zeon trying to make up for his father's complicity in hiding Char and Sayla.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 09-16-2023 at 06:51 AM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Here's some corny humor for your Saturday morning:

Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Extraordinary Member

SPY X FAMILY season 2 trailer.

Lots of highly anticipated arcs and moments from the manga in this one. Really looking forward to it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    SPY X FAMILY season 2 trailer.

Lots of highly anticipated arcs and moments from the manga in this one. Really looking forward to it.
    Hopefully those who felt that Yor was a bit underused in the first season will enjoy the cruise ship story.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Hopefully those who felt that Yor was a bit underused in the first season will enjoy the cruise ship story.
    Well, lots of manga readers felt the same way before the cruise arc. The cruise arc didn't just satisfy people's desire for Yor to take center stage, it is widely considered one of the best arcs from the series period.

Incredible Member Robotech Master's Avatar

While the adaptation of The Thousand Year Blood War arc of Bleach has only added or expanded a few things thus far, we are entering the territory where Kubo fell ill and rushed the final back half of the arc, and thus, more stuff is happening.

The previous episode added a flashback that contextualized Ywch's motives more with information that wouldn't be provided until Can't Fear Your Own World novels, as well as rearranged the royal guard fights a bit. This Saturday's double episode conclusion of the 2nd cour will apparently include fights with Uryu and Hashwalth vs. the Royal Guard that wasn't in the manga at all, and a change to the Auschwalen that *might* spare Robert. They then dropped news today that cour 3 will start having a lot of changes overseen by Kubo, basically putting in things he rushed by or omitted and making it more of a true director's cut.

I see the new arc of Demon Slayer is up on Netflix. Longer episodes too.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I've been watching Season 2 of Black Clover on Netflix. The elf storyline is horrible. I googled one aspect of the twist, and that was bad too. Won't even be concluded I think until season 3.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Halfway through season 2 of Vinland Saga myself. Just watched the episode with the pseudo-Thorfinn "Bug Eyes" being introduced.

Good that after the very dark Thorfinn goes to hell episode and Canute's scheming and insanity we're given an episode which is largely comic relief. Also of course a sense of impending doom as the two main character arcs (Einar/Thorfinn and Canute) are about to collide.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 10-02-2023 at 07:37 AM.

Fist of the NorthStar is one of the original movies that really got me watching Manga back in the early 90's. Star Blazers in the 80's kinda did too, but I didn't really know it was Manga, I just thought it was a cool cartoon, which is sorta the same thing.
    Fist, Vampire Hunter D and Guyver played a big role in it. I don't watch as much as I want to, but slowly getting back into it.

^^^I know, right?! I still remember watching Macross/Robotech during the '80s (XD)

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    Fist of the NorthStar is one of the original movies that really got me watching Manga back in the early 90's. Star Blazers in the 80's kinda did too, but I didn't really know it was Manga, I just thought it was a cool cartoon, which is sorta the same thing.
    Fist, Vampire Hunter D and Guyver played a big role in it. I don't watch as much as I want to, but slowly getting back into it.
    Vampire Hunter D was one of my big ones as a young adult, along with Record of Lodoss War, Ghost in the Shell, and Dominion: Tank Police. As a kid I watched Voltron (and was just old enough to realize the vehicle version had a much better plot) and Tranzor Z, but never truly connected them to anime until I was older.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotech Master View Post
    While the adaptation of The Thousand Year Blood War arc of Bleach has only added or expanded a few things thus far, we are entering the territory where Kubo fell ill and rushed the final back half of the arc, and thus, more stuff is happening.

The previous episode added a flashback that contextualized Ywch's motives more with information that wouldn't be provided until Can't Fear Your Own World novels, as well as rearranged the royal guard fights a bit. This Saturday's double episode conclusion of the 2nd cour will apparently include fights with Uryu and Hashwalth vs. the Royal Guard that wasn't in the manga at all, and a change to the Auschwalen that *might* spare Robert. They then dropped news today that cour 3 will start having a lot of changes overseen by Kubo, basically putting in things he rushed by or omitted and making it more of a true director's cut.
    I was a bit disappointed with this season. There were places where they'd cut corners when I wish they didn't, and places where they stayed true to the source material when I felt they could've cut content.

Mainly, I did not appreciate that Renji's fight with Mask De Masucline was shortened. Yeah, they got the gist of it but since it's one of Renji's last big moments I was hoping that it would get some proper love. Meanwhile they're showing all of Mayuri's fight against Gigi and all of Byakuya's fight against freaking Pepe (I hate Pepe). Mayuri's fight is fun in the manga, but given their limited number of episodes it just kind slowed down the pacing here. And Byakuya's fight against Pepe is just not fun at all. I really would've prefered if they'd shown at least something from Renji and Rukia vs. Bazz-B instead.

That said, they did do a good job of Rukia and Kenpachi's big fights. It was fun to see more of Ichigo vs. the Bambis. And the expanded fights between Zero Squad and Yhwach's elite were also great to see. Including one bankai. I am looking forward to the next two cours expanding on what Kubo wasn't able to show. This is the best part of the arc and I have high hopes for it.

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    Kind of the same thing with Voltron for me and probably others too.

I think a lot of anime imported to the USA in the 80s and early 90s to video stores was kind of done for it's violent content as well, to show something fairly different/alternative from mainstream American cartoons (With some exceptions like Bakshi or even some of Bluth's stuff). Some of these are better than others of course-Akira for example is still considered a classic, Bubblegum Crisis as well, but on the other hand you've got MD Geist which I think was actually CPM's logo for a while! These days of course there's a wider selection, although there's still a lot unique to Anime.

There's also a lot of anime influence that some might have been unaware of in the time in American animation and some other pop culture, including Saturday morning cartoons that isn't noticed at the time....Inspector Gadget started as an attempt at a Lupin spinoff, April O' Neil's cartoon redesign for TMNT is inspired by Fujiko from Lupin as well (And a Lupin arcade game is present in THE GOONIES). Transformers is based heavily on slightly reworked Japanese toy lines. Shoji Kawamori had a hand in designing "Convoy", AKA the future Optimus Prime.

Also the 60's and 70's Rankin-Bass Christmas specials that are an annual TV tradition? All animated extensively in Japan.