Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    She'll be in Shazam's book.
    Why's it gotta be hard to be a Power Girl fan? I miss Karen.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    They wanted a Supergirl for copyright reasons, but couldn't use Kara for editorial reasons. So they created an entirely new character named Matrix who also went by Mae Kent. When they decided to give Mae her own series they hired Peter David, who wasn't too fond of the character as she was at the time and so he had Mae merge with a human named Linda Danvers, becoming an angel and and gaining a new secret identity which paid tribute to Kara's old secret identity. Then Didio came along and decided everything that didn't start in the silver age was worthless and so Linda was shipped off to Limbo and Kara was brought back.
    It is always about to keep the copyright. But if for editorial motives, Kara became Superwoman, a Supergirl will be needed.

She'll be in Shazam's book.
    I kinda doubt it.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    It is always about to keep the copyright. But if for editorial motives, Kara became Superwoman, a Supergirl will be needed.

I kinda doubt it.
    We’ve already seen her there in the preview.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/prev...-future-state/

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post

Oh, thanks. I had not seen that preview.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Extraordinary Member

That preview shows the character, but doesn't give her a name. Was there another place it did?

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    That preview shows the character, but doesn't give her a name. Was there another place it did?
    Well, in the preview you can see Captain Mar...er, Shazam, Vixen, Miss Martian, Question and Bunker. Power Girl (Tanya Spears) is the one with the blue jacket.

Extraordinary Member

Well, in the preview you can see Captain Mar...er, Shazam, Vixen, Miss Martian, Question and Bunker. Power Girl (Tanya Spears) is the one with the blue jacket.
    Oh yeah, I knew that, what I was asking was how we know she's still named Power Girl, since I don't see any dialog or name identifiers. Granted, it probably is, but there seems to be a bit of wiggle room. My problem with Spears as Power Girl is that I've always thought it was part of a move by DC to get rid of classic Power Girl, Kara Zor-L, a character they've never seemed to like or understand, (as Geoff Johns put it long ago on the DC message boards back when they still existed before they went to Facebook and Twitter), in favor of Spears. Call Spears by some other code name and that fear fades. Especially if they just retcon her to avoid any mention of Power Girl.

Also...I see it's not just me who still has trouble calling him "Shazam". Good going with that one, DC.
    Last edited by achilles; 01-17-2021 at 05:46 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Oh yeah, I knew that, what I was asking was how we know she's still named Power Girl, since I don't see any dialog or name identifiers. Granted, it probably is, but there seems to be a bit of wiggle room. My problem with Spears as Power Girl is that I've always thought it was part of a move by DC to get rid of classic Power Girl, Kara Zor-L, a character they've never seemed to like or understand, (as Geoff Johns put it long ago on the DC message boards back when they still existed before they went to Facebook and Twitter), in favor of Spears. Call Spears by some other code name and that fear fades. Especially if they just retcon her to avoid any mention of Power Girl.

Also...I see it's not just me who still has trouble calling him "Shazam". Good going with that one, DC.
    We have two Superboys now. And soon, two Wondergirls. Wally and Barry are both Flash. And that’s not even counting Jay.

Extraordinary Member

We have two Superboys now. And soon, two Wondergirls. Wally and Barry are both Flash. And that’s not even counting Jay.
    But DC doesn't like Power Girl. And they've long thought she was redundant because of Supergirl. And of course the Flashes are in fact all Flashes, with much the same powers and similar origins. As are the Superboys. The Wondergirls at least have similar powers. Spears though AFAIK doesn't really have Kryptonian powers, and is much weaker in general. She also has no connection to Supergirl, hitting DC's wishes there, and of course supplies diversity for DC as well. Also, consider that classic PG hasn't made a real appearance in years, while Spears is still there. What does all that sound like? To me, it sounds like DC is trying to shelve classic PG in favor of one they like better.

Extraordinary Member

Since DC just canned most of all their editors and upper management over the last few months. I’d hold off on “DC doesn’t like Powergirl.”

We’re dealing with a new regime now.

Extraordinary Member

Since DC just canned most of all their editors and upper management over the last few months. I’d hold off on “DC doesn’t like Powergirl.”

We’re dealing with a new regime now.
    Old characters galore and characters just created are getting all sorts of pushes, while PG is MIA. And I see no announcements of future plans, nothing. I'll draw the obvious conclusion unless DC pleasantly surprises me. Which hasn't happened for over a decade.

There's four Flashes. Avery Ho of the Justice League of China is the fourth - she's actually appeared more than JLC's leader New Super-Man has at this point because she appeared in Flash first and returned there when NSM was cancelled.

I'm not sure there'll be two Superboys much longer, as they still seem to be setting up Jon becoming Superman.

But DC doesn't like Power Girl. And they've long thought she was redundant because of Supergirl.
    If Karen's redundant, why didn't they get rid of her as soon as they introduced Matrix Supergirl, or even just not have her survive Crisis? It's obvious not everyone thinks she's redundant. There's plenty of others who are more redundant than she is (there's now nine human Green Lanterns, for one thing).
    Last edited by Digifiend; 01-17-2021 at 12:53 PM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

There's four Flashes. Avery Ho of the Justice League of China is the fourth - she's actually appeared more than JLC's leader New Super-Man has at this point because she appeared in Flash first and returned there when NSM was cancelled.

I'm not sure there'll be two Superboys much longer, as they still seem to be setting up Jon becoming Superman.

If Karen's redundant, why didn't they get rid of her as soon as they introduced Matrix Supergirl, or even just not have her survive Crisis? It's obvious not everyone thinks she's redundant. There's plenty of others who are more redundant than she is (there's now nine human Green Lanterns, for one thing).
    When Matrix SG was around, and into the PAD Earth angel thing, PG was still Atlantean. So she wasn't then redundant in DC's eyes. As to why she survived COIE; who knows. They probably had that Atlantean plan even then, and she was popular enough to save, without being popular enough to make the big SG sacrifice. Her big problem with DC I think is that she, unlike the multiple Flashes, GLs, and the others....literally is Supergirl...the same person from an alternate universe, with much the same name. That seems to confuse DC for some reason, though they can handle multiple Clark Kents.

Then we could have several Supergirls at the same time. It there will be multiple Batgirls, i don't see why there can't be more than one Supergirl.

On other news, I confirmed than Tanya Spears is no more going under the moniker "Power Girl", but under the more generic alias "Powerhouse". The causes and consequences of such situation are open to speculation.

Extraordinary Member

Then we could have several Supergirls at the same time. It there will be multiple Batgirls, i don't see why there can't be more than one Supergirl.

On other news, I confirmed than Tanya Spears is no more going under the moniker "Power Girl", but under the more generic alias "Powerhouse". The causes and consequences of such situation are open to speculation.
    Don't know what caused the name change; but I hope it was an indication they intend to keep Power Girl and use her. While I certainly agree that there can be more than one SG; I don't count, and I think DC at least had a problem with it, for reasons I can't fathom. But the Spears' name change is IMO some positive news that maybe DC hasn't entirely written classic PG off.