Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post

The Global Guardians
    Who's the woman in a mask?

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    DC is overdue for something that is opposition/contrast to the Justice League. The only problem is DC insistence on making the Justice League the only competent group in a world where they are heroes every bit capable and powerful as them.

In a world where a Global Guardians are a competent thing, That can leave the Justice League to be just 7 elite characters who deal with problems on a slightly different scope than GG. Multiple teams can exist in a universe imo
    Knowing DC's track record, the Guardians will either be depicted as lesser than the League, turn out to be villains or are pawns being used by a villain.

I think a good compromise would be to limit the Justice League to being an American-based institution and start pushing Global Guardians to be the international institution in the vein of JL: Unlimited; above them should be the Green Lantern Corps, The Totality, Heroes of Heroes, old-world stuff. that way you can keep the justice league as an organization (because I like that take in it) but you reel in how singularly League focused DC feels.
    Off topic but I think if the League would be portrayed that way it would be best to not have Diana in it since she isn't American.

I need to see if my LCS can still command the paper version of Truth and Justice 1. 'Cause I want more of that good stuff.
    I think a good compromise would be to limit the Justice League to being an American-based institution and start pushing Global Guardians to be the international institution in the vein of JL: Unlimited; above them should be the Green Lantern Corps, The Totality, Heroes of Heroes, old-world stuff. that way you can keep the justice league as an organization (because I like that take in it) but you reel in how singularly League focused DC feels.
    That's be a cool idea but I'm not sure the upper echlons of DC/Warner would want it. The JL is ingrained in people's mind, for good or bad. Not that it couldn't work, but the GG would need to establish some clear rule in their first interaction with the JL. Especially if they are under the control of the UN, which could lead to some tensions with the League, which does its own thing no matter what, really.

In fact, now that I think about it, having the GG be weaker on average than the power-houses of the League could allow some play on this idea :

« Entre le fort et le faible, entre le riche et le pauvre, entre le maître et le serviteur, c'est la liberté qui opprime et la loi qui affranchit. » d'Henri Lacordaire

(Translated : between the strong and the weak, the wealthy and the poor, the master and the servant, it is freedom which oppress and law which frees" by Henri Lacordaire.

The League's would probably see the GG as too constrained by the UN at times (plus we know the UN is often constrained by its old rules nowadays) but the GG could defend the idea that the League's near absolute freedom to do as it pleases isn't, in fact, as helping as they think it is. Neither would be wrong an dit could be interesting, if well written.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Who's the woman in a mask?
    Olympian II. Olympian I seems to still be in the team but current Impala isn't a fan of his.
    Last edited by Korath; 01-24-2021 at 12:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Off topic but I think if the League would be portrayed that way it would be best to not have Diana in it since she isn't American.
    I agree, I wouldn't mind her now being in the team if the League is meant to be a purely American team. Putting her on the Global Guardians would be the logic step at that point (if they want to sell GG as the legitimate global team of the DC universe) but I think leaving her on Justice League: Dark would work fine since they don't have to be expressly american as a magical team.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

The Global Guardians
    Oh wow, she does look like Bumblebee in that costume.
    I think a good compromise would be to limit the Justice League to being an American-based institution and start pushing Global Guardians to be the international institution in the vein of JL: Unlimited; above them should be the Green Lantern Corps, The Totality, Heroes of Heroes, off-world stuff. that way you can keep the justice league as an organization (because I like that take in it) but you reel in how singularly League focused DC feels.
    I don't think it makes sense for the League to be American-based. As a group they seem to work best when they're beyond politics or being dictated by a government.

I mean, you can have a more government-oriented Justice League like the Waller-run JLA or the JLI, but not for the main team in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

I don't think it makes sense for the League to be American-based. As a group they seem to work best when they're beyond politics or being dictated by a government.

I mean, you can have a more government-oriented Justice League like the Waller-run JLA or the JLI, but not for the main team in my opinion.
    I don't know... for all his clout, Batman's always been singularly focused on Gotham itself, Flash seems to be rather focused on the Mid-West too and even Superman's main turf remains Metropolis. Of the big guns, only Diana, the Green Lantern and Aquaman aren't as tied to the US - and that's debatable for Aquaman, since Amnesty Bay's become something really important to him since New 52 at least.

In any case, i think DC needs to invest in teams which are not JL or JLA adjacent (like the Titans) but fundamentaly based on something different. The Global Guardians being certainly a great way to do so, because they could have a far more rotating membership and be used to incorporate a wide variety of peoples (bonus point if they are used to remind everyone that there isn't a typical African/Asian/European/South American/Middle Eastern identity but that contries are quite diverses in those places. I feel the three issues of Truth and Justice did a good job by having Impala and Mari clearly being different enough and Impala even calling her American, a subtle way to remind the audience that people are all different, in a sense).

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    I don't know... for all his clout, Batman's always been singularly focused on Gotham itself, Flash seems to be rather focused on the Mid-West too and even Superman's main turf remains Metropolis. Of the big guns, only Diana, the Green Lantern and Aquaman aren't as tied to the US - and that's debatable for Aquaman, since Amnesty Bay's become something really important to him since New 52 at least.
    Batman's modus operandi is to wage war on all criminals, not just criminals in Gotham, Flash is seen in disaster relief outside Central City, Superman fights crime in space when he can fit in the time amidst protecting the entire Earth, and the Green Lanterns are all American citizens (some of whom have actually served in the armed forces).

They have cities they primarily focus on but they never act like they only care about the one city just because it's their home.
    In any case, i think DC needs to invest in teams which are not JL or JLA adjacent (like the Titans) but fundamentaly based on something different. The Global Guardians being certainly a great way to do so, because they could have a far more rotating membership and be used to incorporate a wide variety of peoples (bonus point if they are used to remind everyone that there isn't a typical African/Asian/European/South American/Middle Eastern identity but that contries are quite diverses in those places. I feel the three issues of Truth and Justice did a good job by having Impala and Mari clearly being different enough and Impala even calling her American, a subtle way to remind the audience that people are all different, in a sense).
    Sounds good .