Fantastic Member

Default Daredevil - Heather Glenn & Maxwell Glenn

So we have a father and daughter... both committed suicide indirectly due to Daredevil's actions. Has this been followed up upon in Daredevil over the decades?

I mean the parallel with Gwen Stacy/George Stacy is obvious... except arguably Matt is more responsible for the Glenns' deaths than Peter was for the Stacys.

This seems like perfect territory to create some juicy storylines... I'm not saying either of these characters should be brought back from the dead... but I'd think these two deaths would have a unique impact on Daredevil/Matt.

Plus has the Stacy/Glenn parallel every been touched upon in the comics? (maybe this is a cliche in comics? I'm not sure)

EDIT: I guess it is a cliche... I just found out we've also got Karen Page/Paxton Page... I'm sure there are others too...
    Last edited by evolutionaryFan; 01-08-2021 at 07:58 PM.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I don't believe there's much follow up with Heather's dad (although I think it was the Purple Man's fault). Heather's death pops up from time to time as something Matt feels guilty about, though.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    I don't believe there's much follow up with Heather's dad (although I think it was the Purple Man's fault). Heather's death pops up from time to time as something Matt feels guilty about, though.
    Hmm... just read Frank Miller's Daredevil vol. 1 where they flashback about Max Glenn... They mention that Daredevil could have proved his innocence if he revealed his identity. But he chose not to and Max died. The whole thing felt very much like Harry's gripe with Peter over not telling him about Norman being the green goblin in the latest Kindred stuff, to protect his own identity. I need to read the pre-Miller stuff.

There seems to be a really nasty hubris to Matt in these stories in the way he treats Heather.... saying she's too incompetent to run her dad's company... that only by marrying him can she achieve some purpose in life.

All the hubris Harry accuses Peter of, I think would be more appropriate to direct towards Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by evolutionaryFan View Post
    Hmm... just read Frank Miller's Daredevil vol. 1 where they flashback about Max Glenn... They mention that Daredevil could have proved his innocence if he revealed his identity. But he chose not to and Max died. The whole thing felt very much like Harry's gripe with Peter over not telling him about Norman being the green goblin in the latest Kindred stuff, to protect his own identity. I need to read the pre-Miller stuff.

There seems to be a really nasty hubris to Matt in these stories in the way he treats Heather.... saying she's too incompetent to run her dad's company... that only by marrying him can she achieve some purpose in life.

All the hubris Harry accuses Peter of, I think would be more appropriate to direct towards Matt.
    Matt's treatment of Heather is one of the key reasons why I rate Bendis' run above Miller's. It's awful and not needed. I understand that Matt's emotions are all over the place with Elektra returning and then her death; however, that doesn't excuse his behavior especially that compared to how he reacted to Karen's death.

After Karen's death Bendis wrote Matt having a mental breakdown, yet he still treated Milla with love and kindness. When his life was falling apart he was still concerned with her well being above his own. Should he have married Milla? Absolutely not. Did things still end tragically for Milla? Yes. However, Matt's intentions were good, if flawed, and I truly believed he loved her.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by macjr33 View Post
    Matt's treatment of Heather is one of the key reasons why I rate Bendis' run above Miller's. It's awful and not needed. I understand that Matt's emotions are all over the place with Elektra returning and then her death; however, that doesn't excuse his behavior especially that compared to how he reacted to Karen's death.
    Matt certainly doesn't seem to respect Heather. I was also upset how the breakup happened... a forged note by Foggy and Widow... felt way too soap-opera-ish to me.