All-New Member

Default Has anyone published a comic under a pen name?

I am thinking about doing this and wondering what the process is like.

May I ask what in particular are you wondering about? I do know if you are published theyll still have to know your real name for tax purposes, unless maybe you went through an agent somehow. The anonymity would be nice, but what if you ended up being successful? Or what if you decided to start doing comic-cons? You would have to stick with your pen name to avoid confusing readers. Theres tons of great info out there on this subject.

All-New Member

Sorry about the late response - family emergency.

I was wondering if it might be different for comics rather than other mediums like writing. The reason I would want a pen name is for a couple different reasons. 1 is that the subject matter I am doing is very controversial. 2 is that I have a very unique name. I don't think anyone in the world has the same name as me and I never liked how anyone could find info about me just by doing a casual name search. Also, I am not someone who ever wanted fame I am just doing a project to get a story out.

I'd say do it. While I haven't reached a massive audience, I'm quite enjoying being "Dr Mike 2000" in all my comics work. I've got the reverse problem of having a very common name, so it helps me stand out. I worked with another Mike Cooper for ten years, that's how common we are.

Mobius and Frank Quitely both did it, and it worked for them.
    Writer/artist of the 37th C superhero webcomic Universe Gun - www.universegun.com

It could also be useful to distinguish a different style.
    Especially if you're targeting two separate audiences, such as YA and Mature Readers.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

All-New Member

Thanks guys.