Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Yeah, that was just bad.

Also don't care for how they're trying to pair Wallace with Avery, ignoring Avery's history in the process. Them being Speed Force siblings works well enough.
    I'm not sure how it ignores her history, was she gay or something in Justice League of China? it's been a while since I've read New Super-Man, but I feel I'd remember that.

that aside, I don't mind it. they're young, they're close, crushs happen. I don't think it has to mean anything particularly deep, especially since he's dating Emiko now. I thought it was cute tbh. they did a good job of making it subtly obvious she's into him but she was still a good friend and didn't make it his problem because he's taken. I'm always hopeful with "friendzone" storylines because I hope that the writer can forego the usual clichés and de-demonize that crush element of the "friendzone" dynamic; actually dig into the topic in a compelling way and dispel the friendzone myth.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I'm not sure how it ignores her history, was she gay or something in Justice League of China? it's been a while since I've read New Super-Man, but I feel I'd remember that.

that aside, I don't mind it. they're young, they're close, crushs happen. I don't think it has to mean anything particularly deep, especially since he's dating Emiko now. I thought it was cute tbh. they did a good job of making it subtly obvious she's into him but she was still a good friend and didn't make it his problem because he's taken. I'm always hopeful with "friendzone" storylines because I hope that the writer can forego the usual clichés and de-demonize that crush element of the "friendzone" dynamic; actually dig into the topic in a compelling way and dispel the friendzone myth.
    Wallace and Emiko's relationship reminds me of Wally relationship with Artemis in Young Justice. I am guessing Emiko was an adaption of both YJ Artemis and Thea Queen because both Emiko and Artemis have a villainous parent and with similarities of Thea is that they are the half-sister of Green Arrow.

Astonishing Member

It's basically that with them trying to pair Avery and Wallace, it feels like yet another step in the "act like New Super-Man and the Justice League of China never happened" thing. As someone who read, loved, and misses that book, I'm not happy with this choice, since it's clear the creative team working on it aren't concerned with Avery's history on the team. Avery and Kenan were already being set up as a budding couple; even if the book has ended now, I don't like subscribing to the idea of stuff not existing if it isn't happening on-page currently.

Not to mention that this is to create a love triangle and tension that isn't really necessary. And again, that doesn't feel like it'd make much since, with Avery and Wallace having a brother and sister relationship and with Avery already having a prospecting boyfriend (who by now would be officially a couple).

Just wish New Super-Man got its due. (And a continuation by its writer, Gene Luen Yang.)

Spectacular Member Grandmaster_J's Avatar

It's basically that with them trying to pair Avery and Wallace, it feels like yet another step in the "act like New Super-Man and the Justice League of China never happened" thing. As someone who read, loved, and misses that book, I'm not happy with this choice, since it's clear the creative team working on it aren't concerned with Avery's history on the team. Avery and Kenan were already being set up as a budding couple; even if the book has ended now, I don't like subscribing to the idea of stuff not existing if it isn't happening on-page currently.

Not to mention that this is to create a love triangle and tension that isn't really necessary. And again, that doesn't feel like it'd make much since, with Avery and Wallace having a brother and sister relationship and with Avery already having a prospecting boyfriend (who by now would be officially a couple).

Just wish New Super-Man got its due. (And a continuation by its writer, Gene Luen Yang.)
    I mean anytime Avery shows back up in The Flash they mention she still is with the Justice League of China. The team is definitely still together and they just need a book revival. I really had fun reading it and watching her friendly competitions with, Kenan.

Having now revealing she has feelings for Wallace kind of feels a lil late to the game since they've known each other longer than any of his other love interests yet the only hint I ever saw from her end was after the Speed Force Storm arc.

People can have feelings for more than one person (and Kenan was also torn between his current girlfriend and his attraction to Avery in the last we saw of the JLOC).

I think it's possible enough to read into Wallace and Avery's dynamic that there was a siblings-esque vibe but also possibly more (at least on Avery's side). I remember back during some of Williamson's run people were talking about how Wallace had Avery while he was also having a thing with Raven on Titans (and that was before Emiko).

I guess with Avery getting friendzoned, it's a moot point.

Extraordinary Member

Put it this way. I find it more likely Avery developed a crush for Wallace than I do that Barbara Gordon developed one for Dick Grayson back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    People can have feelings for more than one person (and Kenan was also torn between his current girlfriend and his attraction to Avery in the last we saw of the JLOC).

I think it's possible enough to read into Wallace and Avery's dynamic that there was a siblings-esque vibe but also possibly more (at least on Avery's side). I remember back during some of Williamson's run people were talking about how Wallace had Avery while he was also having a thing with Raven on Titans (and that was before Emiko).

I guess with Avery getting friendzoned, it's a moot point.
    while I'm not necessarily saying I'm rooting for the pairing, since I'm pretty invested in Wallace and Emiko right now, but (in my personal experience) the "friendzone" isn't exactly a romantic disqualifier if you know what you're doing; if you're smart, it's kinda a cheat code lol ngl.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Put it this way. I find it more likely Avery developed a crush for Wallace than I do that Barbara Gordon developed one for Dick Grayson back in the day.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 02-23-2021 at 01:31 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

while I'm not necessarily saying I'm rootimg the pairing, since I'm pretty invested in Wallace and Emiko right now, but (in my personal experience) the "friendzone" doesn't isn't exactly a romantic disqualifier if you know what you're doing; if you're smart, it's kinda a cheat code lol ngl.
    I can't tell you the amount of times Mary Jane Watson friendzoned Peter Parker and look at them now .

Even TV Barry survived getting brotherzoned.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grandmaster_J View Post
    I mean anytime Avery shows back up in The Flash they mention she still is with the Justice League of China. The team is definitely still together and they just need a book revival. I really had fun reading it and watching her friendly competitions with, Kenan.

Having now revealing she has feelings for Wallace kind of feels a lil late to the game since they've known each other longer than any of his other love interests yet the only hint I ever saw from her end was after the Speed Force Storm arc.
    It feels like they aren't doing as much on that end, even if Williamson referenced it. And Williamson's not writing Flash anymore, anyway.

But yeah, your second point is another thing. It's why I say that Wallace's and Avery's relationship are as siblings, because that's how it has been portrayed for years since she was introduced. Any romantic tension was between Wallace and Raven, then Emiko (and only after he joined Teen Titans, as he wasn't getting enough screentime in The Flash to have the time to develop anything there), and Avery and Kenan over in New Super-Man.

It feels like they aren't doing as much on that end, even if Williamson referenced it. And Williamson's not writing Flash anymore, anyway.

But yeah, your second point is another thing. It's why I say that Wallace's and Avery's relationship are as siblings, because that's how it has been portrayed for years since she was introduced. Any romantic tension was between Wallace and Raven, then Emiko (and only after he joined Teen Titans, as he wasn't getting enough screentime in The Flash to have the time to develop anything there), and Avery and Kenan over in New Super-Man.
    The camaraderie between Wallace and Avery read to me like it could go either the sibling/romance path depending on how they developed it. So on one side we have Wallace going the sibling direction while Avery went romance, and thus...friendzone.

Kind of reminds me of Arrowverse Wally and Jesse Quick, come to think of it, although that ended up as an actual romance...

anyone else read Wallace's story in Let Them Live? the art was meh but I dug the story. it was nice seeing Wallace having his own little adventure.

currently following:

Astonishing Member

anyone else read Wallace's story in Let Them Live? the art was meh but I dug the story. it was nice seeing Wallace having his own little adventure.

What's it about?

What's it about?
    basically Wallace has to rescue his science teacher from what's essentially the Upside Down from Stranger Things. it's just a quick little one off adventure to add a notch in Wallace's belt
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 04-26-2021 at 12:00 AM.

currently following:

Nice seeing Wallace getting a solo story .

Astonishing Member

basically Wallace has to rescue his science teacher from what's essentially the Upside Down from Stranger Things. it's just a quick little one off adventure to add a notch to Wallace's belt
    Nice! Wish we could have more of these in general for Wallace and characters like him.