Incredible Member

Default Characters' religions

I was just wondering if there was any references to certain characters' religions, or at least what religions they were raised in, in the DC Universe.

The only one constantly referenced is Michael Holt's atheism. Well, and Huntress has a Catholic background.

I'd have to re-check the Superman Wedding Album to see what kind of reverend married Clark Kent.

I believe Oliver is actually shown to have been raised Catholic in Smallville. If memory serves, there's some Catholic imagery around a young version of him in a flashback.

In Batman Forever, Bruce says about his parent's funerals "The priest's words gave no comfort," which would likely make him Catholic, though possibly Episcopalian.
    Last edited by Slimybug; 01-09-2021 at 04:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slimybug View Post
    I was just wondering if there was any references to certain characters' religions, or at least what religions they were raised in, in the DC Universe.

The only one constantly referenced is Michael Holt's atheism.

I'd have to re-check the Superman Wedding Album to see what kind of reverend married Clark Kent.

I believe Oliver is actually shown to have been raised Catholic in Smallville. If memory serves, there's some Catholic imagery around a young version of him in a flashback.

In Batman Forever, Bruce says about his parent's funerals "The priest's words gave no comfort," which would likely make him Catholic, though possibly Episcopalian.
    This site might be helpful.
    http://www.comicbookreligion.com/?srch=publisher-DC__2

Well, some vary along the way. There is a site call Comic Book Religion that attempts to assign religion. Characters sometimes vary over time and between writers, of course.

There is a reference in Action Comics #850 where Martha says baby Clark is "eating like [her] brother Bert at a Methodist pancake feed". That's 2007, though, so quite late.

Edit: Ah, Ninjaed while I was looking up Clark's Uncle Bert (not to be confused with his Uncle Burt, I guess?).

Astonishing Member

The Earth-2 Superman and Lois got married in two separate ceremonies (in the same story), first as Clark and Lois (when he didn't remember that he was also Superman!!!) and then as Kal-L and Lois, after he got his memory back. I suspect that this second wedding, which was a purely private affair, reflected Kal's real beliefs, and it was important to him to get married in a ceremony in acordance with them.

The first wedding:

and the second:

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Harley Quinn, Batwoman Kate Kane and the Kane family are Jewish

Bruce's mother Martha Kane is Jewish and therefore by Jewish law Bruce is one, but he was raised Christian by Thomas Wayne and turn atheist over time after his parents death. Meeting gods doesn't change this since his choice to be atheist is based on his determination not to rely on higher power. He still celebrates Christmas casually and calls a priest for his wedding though.

Chuck Dixon said he personally writes Robin Tim Drake as Jewish but only for his and his friend's sake, it was never official, because he wants people to relate to Tim Drake no matter the background

Teen Titans' Bunker Miguel Jose Barragan is Catholic

Bruce's mother Martha Kane is Jewish and therefore by Jewish law Bruce is one, but he was raised Christian by Thomas Wayne and turn atheist over time after his parents death. Meeting gods doesn't change this since his choice to be atheist is based on his determination not to rely on higher power. He still celebrates Christmas casually and calls a priest for his wedding though.
    Never liked that. It was way too late in the game (the character's history) to change his religion (yes, I know he wasn't raised that way, but it's still a label stuck on him and there's are certainly those that now want him identified that way and for more on-page indications), the original creators didn't intend him Jewish, but most of all I don't like Kate related to Bruce (and she originally wasn't and the degree of wealth in the family doesn't mesh well with original background show, IMO, makes the family tree messier since Martha was an only child post-COIE, makes Bette related to Dick, despite prior romantic interest, etc.). But no disputing it's factual.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 01-10-2021 at 08:44 AM.

I dont even understand how mainstream religions, as we know them, would even work on a comic book world, where gods and aliens literally walk the earth, and people die and return from the dead on a seemingly daily basis.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Hal Jordan's mother is also Jewish, but he seems decidedly irreligious.