Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by evolutionaryFan View Post
    Do the writers think this is what the readers want?

I can't imagine a writer enjoys keeping his characters perpetually in stasis...
    This is comics as I learn
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Astonishing Member

It's all about when the character should go into stasis that people argue about.

Astonishing Member

I can't imagine a writer enjoys keeping his characters perpetually in stasis...
    I really hope writers do not want that. I can tell you that one thing I like is character growth, and that seems in short supply. Now to be fair this stagnation is not exclusive to Spider-Man ( see shitty films like Birds of Prey/Harley Quinn), but it is still not good.

Fantastic Member

What issue did Peter actually graduate from (undergrad) college?

I know that he quit grad school in what, ASM #253?
    When did he go back, at the beginning of Spencer's run?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by jebsib View Post
    What issue did Peter actually graduate from (undergrad) college?

I know that he quit grad school in what, ASM #253?
    When did he go back, at the beginning of Spencer's run?
    He was already back in grad school by ASM 327 (1989)... which is around when I started reading comics.

My first comic was Spectacular Spiderman 158 (1989)... when Peter was a lab assistant to a prof. at ESU... when he first got his Captain Universe powers seemingly from a lab accident.

EDIT:

Here's where he graduated from undergrad:

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Amazi...-Man_Vol_1_185

But it says he lacked a gym credit to graduate.
    Last edited by evolutionaryFan; 01-10-2021 at 03:36 PM.

He was already back in grad school by ASM 327 (1989)... which is around when I started reading comics.

My first comic was Spectacular Spiderman 158 (1989)... when Peter was a lab assistant to a prof. at ESU... when he first got his Captain Universe powers seemingly from a lab accident.

EDIT:

Here's where he graduated from undergrad:

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Amazi...-Man_Vol_1_185

But it says he lacked a gym credit to graduate.
    heh. how does that even work in a college setting? it's not like high school where you have to go every day. Oh well. at least he took the class.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    heh. how does that even work in a college setting? it's not like high school where you have to go every day. Oh well. at least he took the class.
    Not really true. In HS you can play hooky and still pass. In college, no way I could afford to miss a calculus or chemistry class.

Fantastic Member

That's weird. I recall ASM #185 and the fake-out graduation.

I just assumed they would eventually make a big deal out of his FINALLY graduating, but I can't find anything online.
    Must have been a blink-and-you-miss-it moment.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    Not really true. In HS you can play hooky and still pass. In college, no way I could afford to miss a calculus or chemistry class.
    I'm surprised he even needed a Gym Credit to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    I'm surprised he even needed a Gym Credit to begin with.
    Mt too. i never knew gym was a required course for a Science major.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Extraordinary Member

I don't even recall the last time he was in a class. They just need to get that plot line over and one with by getting him is doctorate.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    I don't even recall the last time he was in a class. They just need to get that plot line over and one with by getting him is doctorate.
    No kidding. They're not that hard to get, especially when you're as smart as Peter is. Staple four research papers together and pretend your committee asked good questions. Easy peasy.

I have yet to understand why Spencer wanted to take it away - Peter's career and general success (or lack thereof) are not dependent on him having the PhD. Being Spider-man will always ruin whatever kind of job he has, and his real peers (Reed, Tony, etc.) already know he's a world-class mind.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Mighty Member

I've said it before, they should just stick Peter Parker in the Baxter Building.
    He can be a top scientist for Reed Richards, and you don't even really need the Fantastic Four as supporting characters, but they can turn up whenever they want to.

I miss the days when he was a teacher

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFJamie94 View Post
    I've said it before, they should just stick Peter Parker in the Baxter Building.
    He can be a top scientist for Reed Richards, and you don't even really need the Fantastic Four as supporting characters, but they can turn up whenever they want to.

I miss the days when he was a teacher
    That just sounds like it'd make him redundant.

Besides his teaching job was boring.

Mighty Member

I was just wondering... does Peter WANT a PhD, or is is something we expect him to have because of his brilliance? I know Otto wanted it (as he’s one of those types who need to flex his intelligence and I can see him having a problem with someone calling him “Mister Octavius”), but I’m wondering if it was something Peter wanted to get...with certain geniuses being college drop outs it definitely brings this to my mind.