Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    I was just wondering... does Peter WANT a PhD, or is is something we expect him to have because of his brilliance? I know Otto wanted it (as he’s one of those types who need to flex his intelligence and I can see him having a problem with someone calling him “Mister Octavius”), but I’m wondering if it was something Peter wanted to get...with certain geniuses being college drop outs it definitely brings this to my mind.
    That's a reasonable thing to ask. How "nerdy" he is often depends on the adaptation. Sometimes it looks like he extremely enjoys being a scientist. Other times, it looks like he's only coasting on his natural talents. If he were naturally strong, he might've become a pro wrestler or soldier.

It would explain why he doesn't seem particularly motivated to continue his coursework.

Another excuse is that after having most of his scientist jobs sabotaged by something, he's lost hope that he'll be a legit scientist and has subconsciously given up.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    That's a reasonable thing to ask. How "nerdy" he is often depends on the adaptation. Sometimes it looks like he extremely enjoys being a scientist. Other times, it looks like he's only coasting on his natural talents. If he were naturally strong, he might've become a pro wrestler or soldier.

It would explain why he doesn't seem particularly motivated to continue his coursework.

Another excuse is that after having most of his scientist jobs sabotaged by something, he's lost hope that he'll be a legit scientist and has subconsciously given up.
    Those are pretty good and interesting points you raise there.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    I was just wondering... does Peter WANT a PhD, or is is something we expect him to have because of his brilliance? I know Otto wanted it (as he’s one of those types who need to flex his intelligence and I can see him having a problem with someone calling him “Mister Octavius”), but I’m wondering if it was something Peter wanted to get...with certain geniuses being college drop outs it definitely brings this to my mind.
    I think now it may be a matter of him wanting to 'clear his name' so to speak. He could have done it years ago if he has wanted to...but it did not matter to him. It did matter to Otto and his ego when he was in Peter's body. He couldn't stand not being "Doctor" Parker so he passed off his old work as Peter's to get the title back. When Peter had the degree revoked for cheating it became a matter of having to prove he earned it as it also cost him his job as the Bugle's Science Editor.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    I think now it may be a matter of him wanting to 'clear his name' so to speak. He could have done it years ago if he has wanted to...but it did not matter to him. It did matter to Otto and his ego when he was in Peter's body. He couldn't stand not being "Doctor" Parker so he passed off his old work as Peter's to get the title back. When Peter had the degree revoked for cheating it became a matter of having to prove he earned it as it also cost him his job as the Bugle's Science Editor.
    That's a good point. He needs to redeem himself by this point.

Mighty Member

That just sounds like it'd make him redundant.

Besides his teaching job was boring.
    His teaching job was something.
    It also made a lot of sense with the character.

Honestly, I'm happy if we don't get much with him doing a job, if he just gets some kind of income for a while and focus on the action and supporting cast, that's one less plot point to juggle around

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by evolutionaryFan View Post
    Do the writers think this is what the readers want?

I can't imagine a writer enjoys keeping his characters perpetually in stasis...
    Corporately, no one really cares about the comics other than keeping the trademarks in character and occasionally having a story adaptable for "real" media.
    "Mutationem Aeternum"
    Krakoan and Proud

Fantastic Member

Not to beat a dead horse, but when DID Peter graduate from college?

If ASM #185 was just an elaborate fake-out, it must have been brought up SOMEWHERE - or at least happened - for him to get into graduate school?
    "Face Front... Nuff Said?"

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by jebsib View Post
    Not to beat a dead horse, but when DID Peter graduate from college?

If ASM #185 was just an elaborate fake-out, it must have been brought up SOMEWHERE - or at least happened - for him to get into graduate school?
    The description for ASM 185 says he didn't have the gym credit.... but that he can make up the gym credit during the summer. So I think the readers are just supposed to assume that's what happened.

EDIT:

In ASM #202, he talks about being a teacher-student... and then there's a subplot with him dating one of his students! Yikes!

I don't know if there's anything between 185 and 202.
    Last edited by evolutionaryFan; 02-01-2021 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by evolutionaryFan View Post
    The description for ASM 185 says he didn't have the gym credit.... but that he can make up the gym credit during the summer. So I think the readers are just supposed to assume that's what happened.

EDIT:

In ASM #202, he talks about being a teacher-student... and then there's a subplot with him dating one of his students! Yikes!

I don't know if there's anything between 185 and 202.
    Yeah, in retrospect, that would definitely not fly . . . or swing, as it were.

Astonishing Member

What's equally sad is the fact that neither MJ or Harry Osborn obtained their BA degree. Ever since Gwen Stacy(616) died, the college years(for his supporting cast who went to ESU) died with her. I would love to see Hank McCoy work with Peter towards doing a project together that could be the basis for his Doctoral Thesis....

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    What's equally sad is the fact that neither MJ or Harry Osborn obtained their BA degree. Ever since Gwen Stacy(616) died, the college years(for his supporting cast who went to ESU) died with her. I would love to see Hank McCoy work with Peter towards doing a project together that could be the basis for his Doctoral Thesis....
    Wasn't MJ still working towards a BA in Developmental Psychology?

Wasn't MJ still working towards a BA in Developmental Psychology?
    Yeah, I remember that during the post-Clone Saga, pre-Mackie/Byrne relaunch era.

What REALLY annoys me about Peter is that you hear that he has a lot of potential or that he COULD be one of the top scientists in the MCU, but they never actually LET him. I mean, he develops his own web fluid FFS. His whole stint at Horizon showed what he was capable of. Not to mention that lovely stunt in Civil War where he overrode Tony's overrides for the Iron Spider suit.

Maybe I'm just being a fangirl, but you mention the intellectual greats like Stark or Richards, or Pym, I feel Parker should be among them.

Quote Originally Posted by Seto Kaiba View Post
    What REALLY annoys me about Peter is that you hear that he has a lot of potential or that he COULD be one of the top scientists in the MCU, but they never actually LET him. I mean, he develops his own web fluid FFS. His whole stint at Horizon showed what he was capable of. Not to mention that lovely stunt in Civil War where he overrode Tony's overrides for the Iron Spider suit.

Maybe I'm just being a fangirl, but you mention the intellectual greats like Stark or Richards, or Pym, I feel Parker should be among them.
    I can definitely agree with that assessment, and I generally blame that on Marvel editorial/execs and their fixation on keeping Peter "relatable" to a presumed majority of the readership.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Seto Kaiba View Post

There was a cool interaction between Peter and Hank Pym....when Hank found out how smart Peter was and his scientific breakthroughs as a teen (web fluid, spider tracers) he was impressed...and annoyed Peter spent his nights getting his skull beat in by super villians.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    I can definitely agree with that assessment, and I generally blame that on Marvel editorial/execs and their fixation on keeping Peter "relatable" to a presumed majority of the readership.
    Relatable for Peter at this point in his life would be married with children and dealing the the day to day of a job, family and home.