Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Relatable for Peter at this point in his life would be married with children and dealing the the day to day of a job, family and home.
    Nah, that would actually require writing a supporting cast, something that writers hate doing.

/s

There was a cool interaction between Peter and Hank Pym....when Hank found out how smart Peter was and his scientific breakthroughs as a teen (web fluid, spider tracers) he was impressed...and annoyed Peter spent his nights getting his skull beat in by super villians.
    I know. That's specifically why I mentioned Pym because I was remembering that scene.

There was also an interaction in a What If. The one where Peter stayed bonded to the Venom symbiote. Reed acknowledged that Peter could have easily been an incredible scientist spoilers:
    if he had lived
    end of spoilers.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

There was a cool interaction between Peter and Hank Pym....when Hank found out how smart Peter was and his scientific breakthroughs as a teen (web fluid, spider tracers) he was impressed...and annoyed Peter spent his nights getting his skull beat in by super villians.

Relatable for Peter at this point in his life would be married with children and dealing the the day to day of a job, family and home.
    Generally agreed, and I remember that scene, too.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Seto Kaiba View Post
    I know. That's specifically why I mentioned Pym because I was remembering that scene.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Generally agreed, and I remember that scene, too.
    Do either of you remember what issue it was in?

Astonishing Member

Do either of you remember what issue it was in?
    Marvel Knights: Spider-Man Vol 1 #15

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Seto Kaiba View Post
    What REALLY annoys me about Peter is that you hear that he has a lot of potential or that he COULD be one of the top scientists in the MCU, but they never actually LET him. I mean, he develops his own web fluid FFS. His whole stint at Horizon showed what he was capable of. Not to mention that lovely stunt in Civil War where he overrode Tony's overrides for the Iron Spider suit.

Maybe I'm just being a fangirl, but you mention the intellectual greats like Stark or Richards, or Pym, I feel Parker should be among them.
    Meh... Web fluid isn't that impressive. That's a step above Paste Pot Pete. Maybe even not a step above. He may be the true 'master of glue'.

To really get into the realms of the 'greats' like Stark, Richards, Pym etc... Discover a new dimension, create some AI, build a Time Machine or something. Fancy glue and the occassional tracking device just shouldn't be considered 'top shelf science'

I like my Peter Parker in the 'brilliant but lazy' catagory. He COULD have been great if he ever devoted time to studying... but he didn't he was Spider-man and saving lives.

Which is actually a pretty big thing that sets him apart. He always ranks super hero and saving lives above homework and showing up to class. Stark, Reed, and Pym did NOT. THey had zero other conflicts that got in the way of thier education. They were all brilliant scientists long before they got their powers and tech to be super heroes. Peter was a Superhero since he was a teenager and it got in the way. And I really like that.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Meh... Web fluid isn't that impressive. That's a step above Paste Pot Pete. Maybe even not a step above. He may be the true 'master of glue'.

To really get into the realms of the 'greats' like Stark, Richards, Pym etc... Discover a new dimension, create some AI, build a Time Machine or something. Fancy glue and the occassional tracking device just shouldn't be considered 'top shelf science'

I like my Peter Parker in the 'brilliant but lazy' catagory. He COULD have been great if he ever devoted time to studying... but he didn't he was Spider-man and saving lives.

Which is actually a pretty big thing that sets him apart. He always ranks super hero and saving lives above homework and showing up to class. Stark, Reed, and Pym did NOT. THey had zero other conflicts that got in the way of thier education. They were all brilliant scientists long before they got their powers and tech to be super heroes. Peter was a Superhero since he was a teenager and it got in the way. And I really like that.
    It is more than just the web fluid...it is the delivery system and how it works. As well it is the spider trackers that interact with his Peter Tingle.

Astonishing Member

I hate it when laziness is portrayed as a good thing. It just means that he plans on coasting off other people.
    Last edited by PCN24454; 02-17-2021 at 05:30 PM.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

I mean, Peter has built time machines, made AI, and done a lot more besides. So him being smarter than the likes of Stark and Pym, as supported by a couple statements, isn't exactly crazy. Obviously Reed is on a whole other level, but that's something else.
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man

BANNED

I mean, at some point in our lives, we'll all meet someone like Peter-- Unmet potential.

He blames it on "Parker luck," but it's likely his own psychological hang-ups (stuck in comfort zone, low self-esteem, low confidence), short term thinking, and inability to enforce appropriate boundaries in his life.

I find it hard to believe MJ would stay with him at this point. She might like him and what he does and want to remain close, but he's not a great life partner in practical terms. As a model, she has lots of options, but that would hurt the fantasy, right? :P
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 02-12-2021 at 08:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    I mean, at some point in our lives, we'll all meet someone like Peter-- Unmet potential.

He blames it on "Parker luck," but it's likely his own psychological hang-ups (stuck in comfort zone, low self-esteem, low confidence), short term thinking, and inability to enforce appropriate boundaries in his life.

I find it hard to believe MJ would stay with him at this point. She might like him and what he does and want to remain close, but he's not a great life partner in practical terms. As a model, she has lots of options, but that would hurt the fantasy, right? :P
    To be honest MJ's career stability isn't much better .

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    I'd hardly call Peter's potential "unmet". I mean for a guy in his 20s who's a successful and published photographer with his book, years of experience with multiple journals, a scholarship student, someone who's worked with 2-3 science think tanks, including Tony Stark.

That's a pretty solid resume in terms of life experience, diversity, and application.

And for a kid who came from a working-class background and had to support his Aunt with his income to do all that, is pretty impressive.

It's important to note that Peter's not middle-class. He's working-class, so judging him by middle-class values is a poor decision anyway.

I find it hard to believe MJ would stay with him at this point.
    It's called love. And it's always unbelievable when it happens in real life. Staying with someone at their lowest points is something people have done time and time many times over.

She might like him and what he does and want to remain close, but he's not a great life partner in practical terms.
    Mary Jane is not that kind of character who judges partners in terms of "where they're going and so on".

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    I'd hardly call Peter's potential "unmet". I mean for a guy in his 20s who's a successful and published photographer with his book, years of experience with multiple journals, a scholarship student, someone who's worked with 2-3 science think tanks, including Tony Stark.

That's a pretty solid resume in terms of life experience, diversity, and application.

And for a kid who came from a working-class background and had to support his Aunt with his income to do all that, is pretty impressive.

It's important to note that Peter's not middle-class. He's working-class, so judging him by middle-class values is a poor decision anyway.

It's called love. And it's always unbelievable when it happens in real life. Staying with someone at their lowest points is something people have done time and time many times over.

Mary Jane is not that kind of character who judges partners in terms of "where they're going and so on".
    You are correct about MJ. Remember she came from the “Wrong Side Of The Tracks” in Pittsburgh. Unlike say Gwen, Liz or Harry. She also has learned down through the years, there is a need for Spider-Man, and for Peter it is a job not his entire life. As far as Peter’s PHD is concerned, he simply does not have enough time to do a Doctoral Thesis. Maybe a way to accomplish this might be in Spencer’s final issue he marries MJ and takes a honeymoon and vacation for 6 months, with Miles taking over. Then in issue one of the next writer, there is a time jump of six months, Peter returns married and with his Doctorate. That is a realistic way for him to actually get his Doctorate while still being in canon.
    Last edited by NC_Yankee; 02-13-2021 at 05:51 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post

You can love someone without being romantically involved. She'd be dating a successful 30-something at this point, or several if she weren't ready to settle down.