Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post

I find it hard to believe MJ would stay with him at this point. She might like him and what he does and want to remain close, but he's not a great life partner in practical terms. As a model, she has lots of options, but that would hurt the fantasy, right? :P
    I disagree with this. I don’t think MJ is an overly materialistic person, so it’s not like she’d leave him due to wanting more money or anything like that. And in a normal case, I’d agree that Peter’s seeming lack of career ambition/goals and flakey-ness would be perfectly valid ground to want to leave a partner, but MJ knows that Peter obviously has the extenuating circumstances that all those things are caused by him, y’know, being an actual superhero. And if anything, Peter’s dedication to helping others even at his own expense becomes just another positive quality of his.
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    You can love someone without being romantically involved.
    I am sorry, this sounds like nonsense.

She'd be dating a successful 30-something at this point,
    She did date those types after she and Peter broke up, but those relationships never lasted and she settled with Peter when they got back together.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    You are correct about MJ. Remember she came from the “Wrong Side Of The Tracks” in Pittsburgh. Unlike say Gwen, Liz or Harry. She also has learned down through the years, there is a need for Spider-Man, and for Peter it is a job not his entire life. As far as Peter’s PHD is concerned, he simply does not have enough time to do a Doctoral Thesis. Maybe a way to accomplish this might be in Spencer’s final issue he marries MJ and takes a honeymoon and vacation for 6 months, with Miles taking over. Then in issue one of the next writer, there is a time jump of six months, Peter returns married and with his Doctorate. That is a realistic way for him to actually get his Doctorate while still being in canon.
    Are we saying that he doesn’t have time or that he doesn’t care because the two are very different?

Astonishing Member

I wonder if Peter should just be a full time superhero. It seems like the only career he actually cares to do by this point and the others are just hobbies.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    I wonder if Peter should just be a full time superhero. It seems like the only career he actually cares to do by this point and the others are just hobbies.
    I don't want the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon in the comics.

Extraordinary Member

Pete just needs to establish a work / life balance.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Pete just needs to establish a work / life balance.
    Then what qualifies as work: being Spider-Man or having a job?

How about both ?

Astonishing Member

Are we saying that he doesn’t have time or that he doesn’t care because the two are very different?
    He does not have time. Being both Peter Parker and Spider-Man requires a lot of time ( work, fighting crime, time with MJ and sleeping takes up almost all ( if not all) of his 24 hours a day). Does not even have time for a Mets game let alone the effort required for a Doctoral Thesis. So if the Spider Office wants him to have a Doctorate and still make sense, the 6 month time jump between issue X and issue y I suggested makes sense.
    Last edited by NC_Yankee; 02-13-2021 at 12:25 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Both...but he needs to make time for other things...but his guilt won't let him. I would say something to pencil in would be 3 hour long sessions a week with Dr Leonard Samson to work on his issues.

Astonishing Member

He does not have time. Being both Peter Parker and Spider-Man requires a lot of time ( work, fighting crime, time with MJ and sleeping takes up almost all ( if not all) of his 24 hours a day). Does not even have time for a Mets game let alone the effort required for a Doctoral Thesis. So if the Spider Office wants him to have a Doctorate and still make sense, the 6 month time jump between issue X and issue y I suggested makes sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Both...but he needs to make time for other things...but his guilt won't let him. I would say something to pencil in would be 3 hour long sessions a week with Dr Leonard Samson to work on his issues.
    I'm starting to think the thing that tortures Peter the most is the fandom.

We like him to be self-destructive.

Astonishing Member

You are dead wrong. I certainly do not want Peter to be self destructive. What do I do want? Character growth. My biggest complaint ( but by no means only issue) about Slott’s run was the regression into a man-child. I especially hated the BND cover and made comments that got me suspended at CBR over that. As for my comments about a Doctoral Thesis there is a lot of logic in that. Years ago, I worked two jobs and went to college and trust me the Calculus and Quantitative Analysis classes kicked my ass because I did not have enough time to study and that is only for a Bachelors Degree let alone a Doctorate.

Extraordinary Member

You are dead wrong. I certainly do not want Peter to be self destructive. What do I do want? Character growth. My biggest complaint ( but by no means only issue) about Slott’s run was the regression into a man-child. I especially hated the BND cover and made comments that got me suspended at CBR over that. As for my comments about a Doctoral Thesis there is a lot of logic in that. Years ago, I worked two jobs and went to college and trust me the Calculus and Quantitative Analysis classes kicked my ass because I did not have enough time to study and that is only for a Bachelors Degree let alone a Doctorate.
    Agree...I have said this before...Pete and MJ should be married with kids and living a very comfortable middle class life. Pete with a job like when he was at Horizon Labs or as Science Editor at the Bugle and MJ as a working actress doing plays or NYC based TV episodes with the occasional movie part.

Agree...I have said this before...Pete and MJ should be married with kids and living a very comfortable middle class life. Pete with a job like when he was at Horizon Labs or as Science Editor at the Bugle and MJ as a working actress doing plays or NYC based TV episodes with the occasional movie part.
    and, as I've said before, that sounds really boring.

The character and the stories thrive on conflict. Making him comfortable and well to do takes all that away.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    and, as I've said before,
    And people have responded before several times over that this

The character and the stories thrive on conflict. Making him comfortable and well to do takes all that away.
    ...isn't necessarily true.