Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    and, as I've said before, that sounds really boring.

The character and the stories thrive on conflict. Making him comfortable and well to do takes all that away.
    No it does not. I do not expect Peter to win every single time ( although there are great fictional characters who do such as Perry Mason and Lieutenant Columbo). But seeing Peter constantly lose is unacceptable as well. No better example was OMD when he suffers and someone far worse then him ( Victor Von Doom) can defeat Mephisto. I also despised his time in The Avengers because of the disrespect and being treated as comedy relief. With he exception of the Slott run and certain other stories like Sins Past they are the most unreadable for me. I like seeing Peter beat Juggernaut, overcome the odds like in Amazing 33 versus Doc Ock and kicking Kingpin’s ass. We need more of that.

Mighty Member

One thing we should ask is “conflict” being on the edge of poverty all of the time? I’m sure the supplies for his superheroics aren’t cheap, and if he isn’t living rent free he’d have to choose between buying the ingredients for web fluid or getting something more extravagant. Plus with other heroes in New York, his superhero life can come into question chasing everybody.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    One thing we should ask is “conflict” being on the edge of poverty all of the time?
    Except Peter isn't living on the edge of poverty all of the time in 616.

and, as I've said before, that sounds really boring.

The character and the stories thrive on conflict. Making him comfortable and well to do takes all that away.
    Spider-Girl was pretty much this and it wasn't boring. Renew Your Vows was this and it was anything BUT boring. In fact, both versions of Peter had plenty of conflict in their lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Seto Kaiba View Post
    Spider-Girl was pretty much this and it wasn't boring. Renew Your Vows was this and it was anything BUT boring. In fact, both versions of Peter had plenty of conflict in their lives.
    They also have a much better reputation than many stories about Peter living barely above the poverty line.

Conflict in and of itself does not a good story make. The Clone Saga had plenty of conflict but hardly anyone would call it a great Spider-Man story.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Conflict in and of itself does not a good story make.
    My biggest criticism with the MCU as a whole.

I really didn't care for Renew Your Vows. As for Spider-girl, that wasn't Spider-man's story. He was just the supporting cast.

In both cases though, the emphasis is taken away from Spider-man himself and either focused on others or shared. Call me crazy, but I prefer when Spider-man is the main character of Spider-man.

BANNED

Call me crazy, but I prefer when Spider-man is the main character of Spider-man.
    Okay so would you concur that Dan Slott is a terrible writer, since he wrote a story where Spider-Man was missing from the titles for an entire calendar year real-time? Or alternatively it counts because Otto was Spider-Man...so according to you only men can be Spider-Protagonists of titles, then? Correct me if I am wrong.

Of course if you agree that Dan Slott's run is terrible for not focusing on Peter, as in fact the bulk of the Post-OMD era didn't focus on Peter, then you and I at last do agree on something.

They also have a much better reputation than many stories about Peter living barely above the poverty line.

Conflict in and of itself does not a good story make. The Clone Saga had plenty of conflict but hardly anyone would call it a great Spider-Man story.
    It's important to point out that we can't have real conflict in Spider-Man. He lives in a fairly sanitized corner of the Marvel Universe, his stories don't deal with issues like rape, sexual violence, human trafficking, and other forms of crime that tend to be touched on in Daredevil, The Punisher, Jessica Jones, or the X-Men. You can't have the concept of "Parker luck" in a story that deals with real oppression because "Parker Luck" measured against that would feel sociopathic.

The so-called "Parker luck" that Brevoort and Slott traffick in isn't conflict, it's not even the "illusion of conflict", it's a geriatric conception of melodrama.

I really didn't care for Renew Your Vows. As for Spider-girl, that wasn't Spider-man's story. He was just the supporting cast.

In both cases though, the emphasis is taken away from Spider-man himself and either focused on others or shared. Call me crazy, but I prefer when Spider-man is the main character of Spider-man.
    Spider-Man is always sharing focus in his stories. It's called having a supporting cast.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Okay so would you concur that Dan Slott is a terrible writer, since he wrote a story where Spider-Man was missing from the titles for an entire calendar year real-time? Or alternatively it counts because Otto was Spider-Man...so according to you only men can be Spider-Protagonists of titles, then? Correct me if I am wrong.

Of course if you agree that Dan Slott's run is terrible for not focusing on Peter, as in fact the bulk of the Post-OMD era didn't focus on Peter, then you and I at last do agree on something.

It's important to point out that we can't have real conflict in Spider-Man. He lives in a fairly sanitized corner of the Marvel Universe, his stories don't deal with issues like rape, sexual violence, human trafficking, and other forms of crime that tend to be touched on in Daredevil, The Punisher, Jessica Jones, or the X-Men. You can't have the concept of "Parker luck" in a story that deals with real oppression because "Parker Luck" measured against that would feel sociopathic.

The so-called "Parker luck" that Brevoort and Slott traffick in isn't conflict, it's not even the "illusion of conflict", it's a geriatric conception of melodrama.
    Well, one Spider-Man story did deal with rape but it wasn't well received.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    My biggest criticism with the MCU as a whole.
    That's entirely irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post

That implies only those kind of these can count as "real conflict.
    Which is a very narrow view of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    It is more than just the web fluid...it is the delivery system and how it works. As well it is the spider trackers that interact with his Peter Tingle.
    Which in a world of super-scientists... is still fairly mediocre. He's done a lot of things with his webshooters and fluid... but it's all variations on the same theme. waterproof webbing, electrical proof webbing, fireproof webbing... but then needed Johnny Storm to help build a Spider-mobile.

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    I mean, Peter has built time machines, made AI, and done a lot more besides. So him being smarter than the likes of Stark and Pym, as supported by a couple statements, isn't exactly crazy. Obviously Reed is on a whole other level, but that's something else.
    Okay... I'll be honest, I don't remember him ever building a time machine or AI. Doom's time platform and Doombots, Reed's space ships, Pym and Ultron are major parts of their characters. When and why did Peter ever discover time travel?! I mean, I don't have EVERY issue or anything and there are ton of holes in my collection, but that all seems REALLY out of character.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    I hate it when laziness is portrayed as a good thing. It just means that he plans on costing off other people.
    Laziness is relative.

Peter didn't study for his exam... he got to class late... He didn't research his paper the way he should have... His teachers think he's lazy. Truth be told he was on another planet fighting the beyonder or saving a busload of kids from Fin Fang Foom...

Peter has never really been 'lazy'. He just prioritizes other things over his personal success. He just can't tell people that. To everyone who DOESN'T know he's Spider-man... he just didn't do the work and doesn't have a good excuse why not.

It's one reason I believe he needs to stick with freelance photographer. He's never been the type to punch a clock 9-5 every day. Freelance and setting his own hours is where he needs to be.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Which in a world of super-scientists... is still fairly mediocre. He's done a lot of things with his webshooters and fluid... but it's all variations on the same theme. waterproof webbing, electrical proof webbing, fireproof webbing... but then needed Johnny Storm to help build a Spider-mobile.
    Yeah, it's why never understood why people saw it as proof of his genius. Him being able to cure Lizard, even if it's only temporary, was far more impressive, but it's becoming clear that people don't actually like him as a scientist or researcher. Science is just a tool or toy to him, not any actual profession.

Okay... I'll be honest, I don't remember him ever building a time machine or AI. Doom's time platform and Doombots, Reed's space ships, Pym and Ultron are major parts of their characters. When and why did Peter ever discover time travel?! I mean, I don't have EVERY issue or anything and there are ton of holes in my collection, but that all seems REALLY out of character.
    It was probably during his time in Horizon Labs when he was experimenting with a time-travel door.

Laziness is relative.

Peter didn't study for his exam... he got to class late... He didn't research his paper the way he should have... His teachers think he's lazy. Truth be told he was on another planet fighting the beyonder or saving a busload of kids from Fin Fang Foom...

Peter has never really been 'lazy'. He just prioritizes other things over his personal success. He just can't tell people that. To everyone who DOESN'T know he's Spider-man... he just didn't do the work and doesn't have a good excuse why not.

It's one reason I believe he needs to stick with freelance photographer. He's never been the type to punch a clock 9-5 every day. Freelance and setting his own hours is where he needs to be.
    Then Mary Jane can be the one making money while he's a full-time superhero. It's as simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jewel Runner View Post

That implies only those kind of these can count as "real conflict.
    Which is a very narrow view of the world.
    True, but so is the idea that being well off and married means not having conflict, which is what Alan2099 was implying.

Astonishing Member

True, but so is the idea that being well off and married means not having conflict, which is what Alan2099 was implying.
    That is not true. Some of the most unhappy people are the very wealthy and ( or) talented Look at Marlon Brando, Lawrence Olivier and John Barrymore maybe the three greatest actors who ever lived, but were unhappy with their lives. Elvis and Michael Jackson are other examples of this. While they may not have to worry about money, they have plenty of conflicts to deal with.Taking this to comic books. Look at Harry having a father like Norman and a drug addiction, Tony Stark alcoholic, Bruce Wayne never happy and I can go on. They too have conflicts. Are they like Peter’s? No but they are still conflicts.
    Last edited by NC_Yankee; 02-18-2021 at 12:06 PM.