Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default What Should Marvel Do About The Punisher at This Point?

I love the character of Frank Castle. Punisher has been a long time favorite. But in light of how many bad police officers, hate groups like the Proud Boys have taken over his symbol and how many people on Wednesday were photographed wearing his symbol what should Marvel do with The Punisher at this point? Is this a character whose time has passed because of not only the change in times but because he has been corrupted by the far right and hate groups.

Edit - I will give my thoughts. I think he is a character whose time has long since passed. He got really big in the shoot first ask questions later days of Charles Bronson Death Wish and Dirty Harry. But in todays age is it really a good ideal to glorify a mass murder who operates outside the wall. It was fun for a bit. And I still enjoy reading his older stuff. but the last few months I have been more and more uncomfortable with him. I hate that racists and dirty police and now the terrorists on the 6th have ruined a character I love by corrupting his symbol.

Do you keep the Punisher and change the symbol? Or do you just retire him at this point and see that his time has passed?

If the mods think this is too soon or too heated of a topic I am sorry and am fine with this being taken down.

Please can we keep this civil
    Last edited by babyblob; 01-09-2021 at 06:38 PM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

I think they pause him for a bit and have him return either directly addressing in-story those real life characters who have stolen his skull image, or as more of a villain.

Quote Originally Posted by the green death View Post
    I think they pause him for a bit and have him return either directly addressing in-story those real life characters who have stolen his skull image, or as more of a villain.
    ^This.

10char

It’s super unfortunate that this character has been hijacked by hate groups and dirty cops. I wouldn’t want Frank gone entirely but there are a couple of options Marvel can do. The first is to simply keep him around but relegate him to guest appearances only. The second is to simply retire his logo.

But I think the boldest option is to keep him around but do a story where Frank specifically goes after hate groups like the Proud Boys and the alt right. That Marvel can tell the world that the Punisher is here to stay and he has absolute ZERO tolerance for these scumbags and that they are not on the same side in any shape or form. It’ll be controversial to the groups I mentioned and those who sympathize with them. But with Trump getting banned from almost every major platform online and Parler getting dropped by both google and Apple, I think it’s safe to say that people are caring less and less about what these people think.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    But I think the boldest option is to keep him around but do a story where Frank specifically goes after hate groups like the Proud Boys and the alt right. That Marvel can tell the world that the Punisher is here to stay and he has absolute ZERO tolerance for these scumbags and that they are not on the same side in any shape or form. It’ll be controversial to the groups I mentioned and those who sympathize with them. But with Trump getting banned from almost every major platform online and Parler getting dropped by both google and Apple, I think it’s safe to say that people are caring less and less about what these people think.
    This is what I would do if in charge of Marvel.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Orbus View Post
    This is what I would do if in charge of Marvel.
    Sure, let’s show that the way to deal with violent extremists without respect for the law is with extreme violence without any respect for the law, it will show for sure they have no right to feel a connection with the character.

Fantastic Member

It’s super unfortunate that this character has been hijacked by hate groups and dirty cops. I wouldn’t want Frank gone entirely but there are a couple of options Marvel can do. The first is to simply keep him around but relegate him to guest appearances only. The second is to simply retire his logo.

But I think the boldest option is to keep him around but do a story where Frank specifically goes after hate groups like the Proud Boys and the alt right.
    As much as I hate bringing the real world into the world of comics... in this case, maybe this is the best solution. Do a story exactly about this... Punisher facing the groups who have hijacked his symbol. Make it clear what the Punisher actually stands for.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by evolutionaryFan View Post
    As much as I hate bringing the real world into the world of comics... in this case, maybe this is the best solution. Do a story exactly about this... Punisher facing the groups who have hijacked his symbol. Make it clear what the Punisher actually stands for.
    Have you seen the cover of Captain America #1. Marvel has always been involved in real world politics and the best stories are the ones set with 1 foot firmly in the world that could be outside your door.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by mortari View Post
    Marvel has always been involved in real world politics and the best stories are the ones set with 1 foot firmly in the world that could be outside your door.
    I don't mind the symbolic connections. Like the X-men/civil rights connection etc. But I've always hated the more direct connections. Maybe that's why I'm not a big fan of Captain America. As far as Captain America #1 goes... I assume you mean the original issue from 1941? Back then I think we only had Captain America, Namor and the original Human Torch... so it wasn't the shared Marvel Universe like we have now. I assume the Captain America stories were fairly self-contained.

The Marvel Universe now is a ridiculous fantastical place. With reality warpers, people raised from the dead... it's hard enough for me to buy into the universe in its own terms... but bringing the real world politics directly into it just makes it fall apart for me.
    Last edited by evolutionaryFan; 01-10-2021 at 11:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mortari View Post
    Have you seen the cover of Captain America #1. Marvel has always been involved in real world politics and the best stories are the ones set with 1 foot firmly in the world that could be outside your door.
    Not only that, but back in the day, Jack Kirby had Black Panther beat the shit out of the KKK. So having a story where Frank goes after the Proud Boys wouldn’t be out of the ordinary for Marvel.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    What Marvel should do is stop protecting Frank from the logical consequences of his methods.

He sprays bullets everywhere. Have him shoot and kill someone innocent or sympathetic.

He tortures people every third issue. Have that be less effective or not actually work, or work against Castle.

Retiring him won't stop people from using his symbol.

But demonstrating the issues with his MO would certainly undermine the fantasy that so many hold.
    So basically you want to ruin the Punisher so that nobody anywhere likes him. That doesn't seem like anything that would help Marvel in the long run.

I never even thought of this. It is an amazing idea
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

I don't think Marvel retiring the skull logo is going to prevent hate groups from co-opting it. Chances are they are already wearing unauthorized knock-off merchandise anyways.

The book seems to be canceled and relaunched quite a bit. It wouldn't be a big deal if Marvel took a break from publishing his solo title and limited his exposure to guest appearances for the time being.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

BANNED

reminder marvel stoped a grieving father from having spider man on his child's tombstone, they can easly deal with the issue.

Niffleheim

I can't stand the character but he is a symbol now to these groups and that idea can't be killed.