• Ion

10 5.95%
  • Other

19 11.31%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRuggo View Post
    New52 Carol and Kyle. Both are personal favorites and I thought they made an adorable couple during New 52 Green Lantern: New Guardians. Kyle has been awesome throughout all time but prior to New 52 (although this began to change in 2000s) uncrazed Carol was an irrelevant prop and little more than an object of affection for Hal Jordan. Emphasis on object of his affection.

Probably unpopular opinion:

I believe that the reason that Kyle & Carol was a disliked relationship is because of the age difference. Comic book fans are still mostly males who fantasize about younger women. To some, older women make penises flaccid. There are almost no superhero couples wherein the older, more experienced hero is female and their romantic partner is a young male doubling as an apprentice or sidekick. Meanwhile, it is pretty easy to find relationships where the male hero is an older mentor to the female hero or introduced her into crimefighting. Therefore, many rigid and fanatical pre52 fans found Kyle & Carol dissatisfying. Many will claim that they just didn't like the idea of Kyle "stealing" Hal's girl, while failing to realize that making such statements only further indicates their unsophisticated perception of Carol as an "object" that can be stolen rather than a person who has agency of her own and is capable of making her own decisions.

Unsurprisingly, Kyle & Carol relationship was discarded. Now here we are in 2021, post new52. Carol is "Hal's girl" again. And for the last five years, she is hardly ever mentioned, hardly ever seen. I suppose that in a way, the pre52 fanatics got what they wanted after all. Carol is back to being irrelevant. Pretty sad.
    The reason I hated it (and still do) is because it came from so far left field I found it jarring.
    It would be like writing Hal dating Donna or Jenni. Actually, a better analogy would be Bruce Wayne dating Lois Lane.

For better or worse, Carol is intrinsically linked to Hal. They have been together on/off for 60 years of publication. While I understand taking Carol and doing something new with her (as you said, she needed it), having her date a different bloke within the GL sphere was a serious misstep for me.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    Actually, a better analogy would be Bruce Wayne dating Lois Lane.
    I thought something close to it, but Lois dating Jimmy Olsen instead.
    the extra skater
    Download Ferda Boys #1, a 36-page hockey webcomic.

Spectacular Member

1. Jess
    2. Kyle
    3. Hal

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

The one I have read is Cruz
    The one I want to read is Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRuggo View Post
    New52 Carol and Kyle. Both are personal favorites and I thought they made an adorable couple during New 52 Green Lantern: New Guardians. Kyle has been awesome throughout all time but prior to New 52 (although this began to change in 2000s) uncrazed Carol was an irrelevant prop and little more than an object of affection for Hal Jordan. Emphasis on object of his affection.

Probably unpopular opinion:

I believe that the reason that Kyle & Carol was a disliked relationship is because of the age difference. Comic book fans are still mostly males who fantasize about younger women. To some, older women make penises flaccid. There are almost no superhero couples wherein the older, more experienced hero is female and their romantic partner is a young male doubling as an apprentice or sidekick. Meanwhile, it is pretty easy to find relationships where the male hero is an older mentor to the female hero or introduced her into crimefighting. Therefore, many rigid and fanatical pre52 fans found Kyle & Carol dissatisfying. Many will claim that they just didn't like the idea of Kyle "stealing" Hal's girl, while failing to realize that making such statements only further indicates their unsophisticated perception of Carol as an "object" that can be stolen rather than a person who has agency of her own and is capable of making her own decisions.
    Nah I'm pretty sure it's because Hal and Carol is a classic couple going back to their origin. Also, Kyle and Carol came right on the heel of John's run, where on top of being classic, he ended it with them married with kids and a lot of people like that ending. So to see Kyle being paired with Carol right after that is just ding dong wtf why who asked for this.

The reason I hated it (and still do) is because it came from so far left field I found it jarring.
    It would be like writing Hal dating Donna or Jenni. Actually, a better analogy would be Bruce Wayne dating Lois Lane.
    Nightwing dating Catwoman, since Kyle is understood as his and Wally's generation
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 01-30-2021 at 10:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    The one I have read is Cruz
    The one I want to read is Kyle

Nah I'm pretty sure it's because Hal and Carol is a classic couple going back to their origin. Also, Kyle and Carol came right on the heel of John's run, where on top of being classic, he ended it with them married with kids and a lot of people like that ending. So to see Kyle being paired with Carol right after that is just ding dong wtf why who asked for this.

Nightwing dating Catwoman, since Kyle is understood as his and Wally's generation
    kind of how i would feel if barry dated linda.

Hal, John, and Jess are the three I will pick up a new creative team’s first issue on the strength of my affection for the character alone, regardless of the team. I like the others, but it would need to be a writer/artist I know I’ll enjoy before I’d buy their first issue.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Hal, John, and Jess are the three I will pick up a new creative team’s first issue on the strength of my affection for the character alone, regardless of the team. I like the others, but it would need to be a writer/artist I know I’ll enjoy before I’d buy their first issue.
    I'm the same, but I'd add Guy to that mix. In the right hands, he's great.

While I love Alan, I'm more a fan of him in a team context, rather than as a solo character.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I'm the same, but I'd add Guy to that mix. In the right hands, he's great.

While I love Alan, I'm more a fan of him in a team context, rather than as a solo character.
    Sadly Guy has yet to really work long form for anyone not Tomasi, Gibbons or that one arc by Keith Champagne. I love Guy, but he's hard to pull off and with a smaller fanbase. Venditti did pretty well be him but I wouldn't say Guy was really more than a supporting character in Hal's book, though I haven't finished Hal and Pals yet. I agree with you on Alan, who is my favorite.

Any ongoing in the near future should go to either Hal, John or Jessica.

Alan and Guy are my favorites but for right now, team books or a mini are where they should rest.

With 114 people having voted now:
    * Hal Jordan = 68 votes
    * John Stewart = 57 votes
    * Kyle Raynor = 50 votes
    * Kilowog = 48 votes
    * Jessica Cruz = 44 votes
    * Guy Gardner = 42 votes
    * Alan Scott = 40 votes
    * Jade = 31 votes
    * Carol Ferris = 27 votes
    * Jo Mullein = 23 votes
    * Simon Baz = 21 votes

All others still currently have less than 20 votes.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    With 114 people having voted now:
    * Hal Jordan = 68 votes
    * John Stewart = 57 votes
    * Kyle Rayner = 50 votes
    * Kilowog = 48 votes
    * Jessica Cruz = 44 votes
    * Guy Gardner = 42 votes
    * Alan Scott = 40 votes
    * Jade = 31 votes
    * Carol Ferris = 27 votes
    * Jo Mullein = 23 votes
    * Simon Baz = 21 votes

All others still currently have less than 20 votes.
    There. Fixed it.

Quote Originally Posted by SebastianS View Post
    There. Fixed it.
    Hey, I was just basing it off the original poll.

I agree with this. Also, I'm generally a single-shipper (I like just one ship for a character, in the present-day, and don't like contradicting ships). But more importantly than that (since I waffle on whether Hal and Carol have too much negative history to ever be viable, and don't like the 'ship enough to sweep it under the rug as I do with some others), the Earth-based GLs have rather distasteful history of dating the same women. (Kari, at least, and I think Rose, though I haven't read those). And really, dating another GL (and being defined as a love interest) doesn't exactly scream "new direction" at a glance. Nothing at all to do with age (and I'm a DickBabs shipper that likes her 7 years older than him and am extremely annoyed her constantly being de-aged relative to him - or both them being de-aged in general).

Though there's nothing canonical I know of, I thought the idea of Kyle/Zatanna (alternate universe future where Trigon conquered earth in Booster Gold comic) for some reason had some appeal to me.

I voted for Hal, Carol, Guy, John, and "other" - though all are highly variable and I like or dislike them depending on the era/story/writers/etc. Not a specific fan of any of them.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 02-08-2021 at 11:23 AM.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Sadly Guy has yet to really work long form for anyone not Tomasi, Gibbons or that one arc by Keith Champagne. I love Guy, but he's hard to pull off and with a smaller fanbase. Venditti did pretty well be him but I wouldn't say Guy was really more than a supporting character in Hal's book, though I haven't finished Hal and Pals yet. I agree with you on Alan, who is my favorite.
    Guy is an easy character to get wrong as a writer. It's easy to write him as too much of an a-hole or hot head.
    I really didn't care for Gerard Jones' take on Guy.
    I thought Dixon did a much better job, and I loved Beau Smith's run. The perfect blend of bravado and super heroics.
    Thankfully, writers picked up on this and continued with the characterisation.
    Marz, Winick, Johns and Gibbons all wrote a great Guy Gardner.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Jessica, Kyle, Guy, Jo and Kilowog for me!!

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

Guy is an easy character to get wrong as a writer. It's easy to write him as too much of an a-hole or hot head.
    I really didn't care for Gerard Jones' take on Guy.
    I thought Dixon did a much better job, and I loved Beau Smith's run. The perfect blend of bravado and super heroics.
    Thankfully, writers picked up on this and continued with the characterisation.
    Marz, Winick, Johns and Gibbons all wrote a great Guy Gardner.
    Charles Soule did a great job on Guy in Red Lanterns too.