Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Infinite Frontier has established that a lot of people who were dead have been resurrected thanks to the latest reset of time, so that is presumably how Blockbuster is alive again. Red X being part of Titans history is another example of this, as elements from other incarnations are bleeding into the main continuity in the same way that the Donner stuff bled into Superman continuity post-Infinite Crisis
    But in the end that means no clear history for anyone, since most characters are now a mix of pew and post flashpoint, and in most cases both contradict each other.

In cases of Blacklighting that likely means parts of his pre flashpoint history are now cannon, but we don't now exactly what parts (and I doubt that anyone at DC knows ...).

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    But in the end that means no clear history for anyone, since most characters are now a mix of pew and post flashpoint, and in most cases both contradict each other.

In cases of Blacklighting that likely means parts of his pre flashpoint history are now cannon, but we don't now exactly what parts (and I doubt that anyone at DC knows ...).
    I don't particularly have a problem with the current continuity status quo of just letting creators tell the stories they want to tell using the entirety of the character's publishing history, but DC is well aware that there's enough fans out there who want more definitive answers about what "counts". Give them a little time to sort through how much of Didio's 5G timeline is going to get used and they'll provide that clarity sooner or later.

With most characters, it's pretty easy because their New 52 revisions were so unpopular, they've been dumped altogether or, like with Black Lightning, were so forgettable that they'll likely never get mentioned again.

For all intents and purposes, Black Lightning is pretty much exactly the guy we read about in Other History of the DCU, but with a sliding timeline
    Last edited by Bored at 3:00AM; 08-25-2021 at 07:41 AM.

Extraordinary Member

For all intents and purposes, Black Lightning is pretty much exactly the guy we read about in Other History of the DCU, but with a sliding timeline
    When it comes to his very few solos stories, probably, but the big question is how much of the Outsiders and his short turn in the Justice League is canon, since those make up the majority of his appearances.

When it comes to his very few solos stories, probably, but the big question is how much of the Outsiders and his short turn in the Justice League is canon, since those make up the majority of his appearances.
    There's no reason why they wouldn't be, would they?

The current status quo of the DCU seems to be that the broad strokes of everyone's history is now back in play. The strongest elements that most everyone likes and remembers from these characters' lives are now their history again. There's elements of the New 52 included here and there, like Ollie being rich, and people who were dead now being alive, such as Ted Kord, Blockbuster, and others, but they've mostly reverted to the history they had prior to Flashpoint. However, like when Infinite Crisis reshuffled the deck to include more Pre-Crisis elements again, new stuff from outside media has now retroactively been introduced, such as Robin's past exploits as Red X.

There's nothing in Black Lightning's past that really requires any major changes. The post-Infinite Crisis origin nicely updated his origin out of the 70s and retconned in his daughters. Everything fits as far as I can tell.

As for his New 52/Rebirth stories, I don't think much of that will be referenced again aside from keeping that costume around. Isabella's insistence on not having Jefferson be a father has clearly been nixed since everyone except him likes the idea. It's possible some future creator will reference him working with Blue Devil at some point, but, again, I don't think it will be in the context of his early years, but rather during one of the brief periods of the DCU in which time was broken.

The current status quo of the DCU seems to be that the broad strokes of everyone's history is now back in play. The strongest elements that most everyone likes and remembers from these characters' lives are now their history again. There's elements of the New 52 included here and there, like Ollie being rich, and people who were dead now being alive, such as Ted Kord, Blockbuster, and others, but they've mostly reverted to the history they had prior to Flashpoint. However, like when Infinite Crisis reshuffled the deck to include more Pre-Crisis elements again, new stuff from outside media has now retroactively been introduced, such as Robin's past exploits as Red X.

There's nothing in Black Lightning's past that really requires any major changes. The post-Infinite Crisis origin nicely updated his origin out of the 70s and retconned in his daughters. Everything fits as far as I can tell.

As for his New 52/Rebirth stories, I don't think much of that will be referenced again aside from keeping that costume around. Isabella's insistence on not having Jefferson be a father has clearly been nixed since everyone except him likes the idea. It's possible some future creator will reference him working with Blue Devil at some point, but, again, I don't think it will be in the context of his early years, but rather during one of the brief periods of the DCU in which time was broken.
    I sometimes forget they tried to spin a young and up-and-coming Black Lightning and Blue Devil together as a duo as a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I sometimes forget they tried to spin a young and up-and-coming Black Lightning and Blue Devil together as a duo as a thing.
    Yeah, it was an odd swing, which is why I doubt anyone will reference it again. It's one of those bits of continuity creators don't even need to explain away because it was so forgettable, they don't even need to.

Could that Black Lightning/Blue Devil mini the reason why Isabella turned Anissa into Lightning's niece? He is old school and may have actually cared about lining up with the current continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    not really specific to Black Lightning but I would love an all black Elseworld story featuring every major black hero and villain in an fantastical African continent, like how they do with medieval Europe. something like Black Leopard, Red Wolf meets The Last God or whatever this Dark Knights of Steel series unfolds as. just an epic of Afrojujuism/afromysticism where all of their black heroes are reimagined using mythology from pre-colonial Africa (maybe some Arab ones too iykyk).

The Obvious one would be to reimagine Black Lightning as an analogue for the legends of Shango from the Yoruba mythology, but if we wanna really go crazy with the elseworld I'd go with an horror story where Black Lightning is an Impundulu, he's cursed as the Black Lightningbird.
    I like this idea. Way more original than what I was contemplating (basically Black Lightning: Noir).

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    1920s Steampunk
    That could be an interesting way to work in the original idea of his powers coming from an exo-suit as opposed to natural.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Could that Black Lightning/Blue Devil mini the reason why Isabella turned Anissa into Lightning's niece? He is old school and may have actually cared about lining up with the current continuity.
    Allegedly Isabella isn't a fan of either daughter.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Isabella wants Jeff young and single, but DC isn't going to throw away their characters. It's a compromise that aligned with the New52 mission statement.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Isabella wants Jeff young and single, but DC isn't going to throw away their characters. It's a compromise that aligned with the New52 mission statement.
    I think the success of the TV show may have softened him on the family, but he will still not tolerate Jeff with anyone but Lynn.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Extraordinary Member

Not sure, since they are team books it would technically always effect a lot of characters, if those runs are in or out of continuity.

Outsiders being back would have effects on the Batman franchise. When it comes to the Justice League I have to admit that I have only really vague memories of that run.

Not sure, since they are team books it would technically always effect a lot of characters, if those runs are in or out of continuity.

Outsiders being back would have effects on the Batman franchise. When it comes to the Justice League I have to admit that I have only really vague memories of that run.
    There may be a few minor details that would have to be tweaked, but that's always been the case with a sliding timeline. The broad strokes of all those Justice League and Outsiders stories would still work though, particularly now when DC is actively trying to not throw up continuity walls in front of creators.

Really want a book focused on Jefferson and Tatsu. Ship them hard! Don't care what Isabella thinks. Pull da trigger DC.

King Lightning in Dark Knights of Steel
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."