Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Donny Cates is bringing Thanos back soonish.
    He’s not being jobbed at all.

Astonishing Member

I've seen you on Reddit. I 'm glad you're still treating Marvel as a Battleboard./s

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    The real answer is Gillen couldn't care less about Thanos. Thanos was there only because of editorial mandate and Gillen instead of exploring Thanos ties with the eternals he jobs him to mid-tier Ikaris because he didn't want to bother with the character. That's how little Modern Marvel writers and editors gives a shit about him and cosmic characters in general.

And people wonder why i'm bitter.
    Ah yes, the one issue that Thanos has appeared in so far clearly shows us all that Gillen plans to explore with the character.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    gets easily trashed by lower tier characters like Carol Danvers and the GOTG under Bendis
    ohhh I get it this is actually about not liking that carol is captain marvel now...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    At what point has the writing of a character become so predominant that it is an accurate representation of the character that has replaced the previous version? Marvel owns the character and go in any direction they want with him.
    This is true. We've seen it with a plethora of characters over literally decades worth of continuity. I feel like the issue might be something more personal for folks that have formed an attachment to some characters. If Superman suddenly became an arrogant jerk who ruthlessly killed his enemies, that is perfectly fine to do if that is what DC editorial green lights. Might not go over well with some fans though. Thor was a character that I felt was utterly mischaracterized by Jason Aaron, particularly toward the end of his run on Thor, but hey? It is a Marvel property. They can go in any direction they want. I guess I'm saying some fans (such as myself) form a bit of an attachment to their favorite comic characters the way some might form an attachment to a favorite sports team. As much as it is okay for Marvel to move in any direction they want with their properties, you will always find fans who complaint about it. I suppose I'm one that agrees with the OP, depending on the writer, Thanos is now no better than a slightly more sophisticated Mongul.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I think it is just like any other villain character that gets over used. In the past when Thanos showed up people pissed their pants because they knew this was going to be bad. Now he has been so over used no one really sees him that way anymore. It is the same with characters like Doctor Doom or Galactus. Over use kills good villains.

The only way Thanos was ever going to remain as Starling wrote him would have been if he was killed after his defeat and never brought back.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Toonstrack View Post
    The only way Thanos was ever going to remain as Starling wrote him would have been if he was killed after his defeat and never brought back.
    Yeah, 'so awesome only he can defeat himself' gets kinda old quick.

Thanos even under Starlin leans more towards Mary Sue than character with actual depth.

His love of death isn't an ideology, it's of an actual person(ification). In collecting the gems, most of the Elders were dumped on and jobbed out. And tragic backstory? He ain't really got that.

His stats and character seem to be adjusted to let him talk down to everyone and beat up everyone. He needs, more than anything, a writer willing to do some character character work on him.
    Last edited by The Cool Thatguy; 02-20-2021 at 08:46 AM.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

This was truly the perfect ending. But I guess we don't get the IG stuff without Thanos. Sure, Starlin could have created a new villain or used an existing one, but there's no guaranty that character would be nearly as popular.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by The_Last_Czarnian View Post
    Thanos is out of the MCU picture for now. Eternals are imminent.

Just look at the push that Taskmaster is getting - beating Hyperion? Why, he must be in an upcoming movie of some kind!
    Yet he is terrified of Black Widow, a character who he should be able to defeat. The jobbing is really getting out of control.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Yet he is terrified of Black Widow, a character who he should be able to defeat. The jobbing is really getting out of control.
    Says who? Tasky's always struggled with fighters who know their stuff, and that's Widow.

He's cover band, and Widow is OG.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Says who? Tasky's always struggled with fighters who know their stuff, and that's Widow.

He's cover band, and Widow is OG.
    BWA HA HA HA...oh wait you're serious....
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    BWA HA HA HA...oh wait you're serious....
    Deathstroke, Taskmaster isn't. Dunno where everyone gets this idea he's some uber bad ass...

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Deathstroke, Taskmaster isn't. Dunno where everyone gets this idea he's some uber bad ass...
    I know, right?! My guess would be Avengers #196, where Tasky single-handedly took down both Cap & Tony with ease...

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    I know, right?! My guess would be Avengers #196, where Tasky single-handedly took down both Cap & Tony with ease...
    First time out doesn't matter if you can't keep it up