Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    In collecting the gems, most of the Elders were dumped on and jobbed out. And tragic backstory? He ain't really got that.
    I didn't have a problem with it. Thanos scheming and using the Elders personality profiles against them works just fine. It's not like the Elders are omniscient, and omnipotent. Heck, Hawkeye beat both the Collector and the Grandmaster by outthinking them. Its been done against them before and since, and I'm ok with it because of their very nature. Their own manic obsession with "fill in the blank" is both what made them immortal but also fallible. You saw Maestro do something similar in the recent Contest of Champions.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    I know, right?! My guess would be Avengers #196, where Tasky single-handedly took down both Cap & Tony with ease...
    I'm trying to pinpoint the exact writer that ruined Taskmaster. I want to say Spencer but I'm thinking it could be someone else.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by davew128 View Post
    I didn't have a problem with it. Thanos scheming and using the Elders personality profiles against them works just fine. It's not like the Elders are omniscient, and omnipotent. Heck, Hawkeye beat both the Collector and the Grandmaster by outthinking them. Its been done against them before and since, and I'm ok with it because of their very nature. Their own manic obsession with "fill in the blank" is both what made them immortal but also fallible. You saw Maestro do something similar in the recent Contest of Champions.
    The difference though is that Maestro at least took some lumps before coming out on top.

Thanos effortlessly walked all over the Elders while dumping on their basic concept.

A good villain has some give and take before coming out on top.

Thanos is all take.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    The difference though is that Maestro at least took some lumps before coming out on top.

Thanos effortlessly walked all over the Elders while dumping on their basic concept.

A good villain has some give and take before coming out on top.

Thanos is all take.
    That’s why he was fantastic in Infinity War (film) - he was a brutal and machine and of course unstoppable - but it’s not as if the others couldn’t get their licks in first.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    That’s why he was fantastic in Infinity War (film) - he was a brutal and machine and of course unstoppable - but it’s not as if the others couldn’t get their licks in first.
    They got their licks in, and they weren't treated as idiots in comparison.

But more than that, Thanos had depth. He was doing what he thought he had to, he had genuine love for Gamora and he had some mercy alongside his ruthlessness.

Comic Thanos has none of that.

Thanos loves to talk about how deep he is and how he's learned some great lesson, but it's all just talk to stroke his own ego. He really hasn't changed all that much, even under Starlin.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Thanos loves to talk about how deep he is and how he's learned some great lesson, but it's all just talk to stroke his own ego. He really hasn't changed all that much, even under Starlin.
    Under Starlin, though, it's treated as true, internal logic be damned.

Like how Bendis treated Norman Osborn as an effective director of national security 'until he wasn't'. Though that was more to justify keeping Victoria Hand around...