Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

The infamous "super mullet" wasn't really a mullet at all, it was just long hair. Jon Bogdanove was really the only artist drawing it as an undisputable mullet, but that's because everything he drew - faces, bodies, hair - was grossly distorted.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    The infamous "super mullet" wasn't really a mullet at all, it was just long hair. Jon Bogdanove was really the only artist drawing it as an undisputable mullet, but that's because everything he drew - faces, bodies, hair - was grossly distorted.
    I'd say Howard Porter also drew Super-mullet as well.

Stuart Immonem is the only artist who made the long hair work in the 90s.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Skeleton View Post
    I thought he looked pretty badass with it IMO. How about you?
    nah, I don't want Superhippie, I prefer the "Boy Scout" look.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I loved the 90s long hair.

Superman should always rock a shaggy look kinda like Tom Welling circa SMALLVILLE season 3. Tom Welling looks like Superman walked off the page anyway.

Give him a beard, too.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 01-11-2021 at 02:33 PM.

Retired

Superman should have hair like a Tressy doll.

My three sisters had a Tressy doll (which they wouldn't let me play with because I was a boy, sigh)--this was like their Barbie doll (I guess my parents couldn't afford Barbie, but they could get a Tressy). And you could make her hair any length you wanted.

If Superman has contol over his follicles then he should be able to give himself different hair lengths.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post

With that I'd definitely agree. And now that I think about it, Brian Bolland - who can usually do no wrong - really upped the mulletness on that cover for Wonder Woman #88.

I'd still assert that Jurgens, Grummett (and to a lesser degree Guice) all made the long hair look decent.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Yeah it would be a great look for his new eraera, but I wouldn't give him the jeans and t shirt look. I think it would be better to give Conner a similar look to that one and make him the Golden Age revival/ rework.
    Oh, I agree. If I actually had the power to make such changes I'd ultimately keep Clark in spandex (the Reborn suit if I could swing it; perfect update!) and Conner would keep the t-shirt. But I'll be damned if t-shirt Superman isn't the single best re-imagining of the costume ever put to paper and I wouldn't argue with DC at all if they brought that look back once in a while. At least keep it in Clark's origin or something. But push comes to shove, yeah Conner's the one who should rock that look.

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    With that I'd definitely agree. And now that I think about it, Brian Bolland - who can usually do no wrong - really upped the mulletness on that cover for Wonder Woman #88.

I'd still assert that Jurgens, Grummett (and to a lesser degree Guice) all made the long hair look decent.
    I feel like, as with many things from the 90's, we tend to play up the troupes in our minds. Not *everyone* had tons of useless pouches, robot arms, bad hair and giant guns. At least not all the time.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Oh, I agree. If I actually had the power to make such changes I'd ultimately keep Clark in spandex (the Reborn suit if I could swing it; perfect update!) and Conner would keep the t-shirt. But I'll be damned if t-shirt Superman isn't the single best re-imagining of the costume ever put to paper and I wouldn't argue with DC at all if they brought that look back once in a while. At least keep it in Clark's origin or something. But push comes to shove, yeah Conner's the one who should rock that look.

I feel like, as with many things from the 90's, we tend to play up the troupes in our minds. Not *everyone* had tons of useless pouches, robot arms, bad hair and giant guns. At least not all the time.
    Rob Liefeld eat your heart out

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    My whole life has been a lie

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post

Eh, people run from the mullet. It's got a stigma but as I know many of us can remember, it was extremely dominant from 1993-1996 anywhere you looked. It's a pretty strong example of updating a character for the times and went away before it was too unfashionable.

Visually it's not bad depending on the artist, I just happen to think Superman looks better with the hair he's more or less had for the other side of his 82 years. But I think it should be easier to swallow an extra four inches or so of hair in the back than a lot of wacky hairstyles people have now in real life or in manga. And though I prefer short hair for Superman, I kinda love the tight ponytail for Clark, it's somehow very fitting.

With his general skill and length of run, Frenz (with Rubinstein) was my favorite after Bog.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by marshal88 View Post
    I assume that's from Zero Hour?

And is Bruce himself one of those people from the past, and he hasn't noticed? And he calls himself the world's greatest detective!
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    eh, I'll be the boring one here, I prefer him with the regular clean cut look more often than not.
    The same goes for me.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    The same goes for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Skeleton View Post
    I thought he looked pretty badass with it IMO. How about you?
    Just the term "badass" associated with Superman makes me cringe a bit, because I really think that's what they were going for when he came back from the dead and dressed in black and wielding a big gun. And it was awful. And I just can't escape that image.

I prefer Superman with shorter hair than that. Not crew cut or even super short, but not long enough to put in a pony tail. Several of the in between lengths look good to me. But I don't mind long as as long as it's not part of a purposeful aesthetic to make him look edgier. Just a style he happens to like. Though I don't think it's as attractive.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Indeed hahaha
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."