Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Cat View Post
    Is anyone else laughing at how bad the background info on Hourman is in this article? I know he's not a big gun, but yikes, guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Yeah, it's pretty garbage writing.
    Would expect nothing but garbage from that source.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Yeah, it's pretty garbage writing.
    Not really. They did what they could with a largely obscure character. The concept of Hourman isn't really the most complex.

Quote Originally Posted by atomicskull View Post
    Not really. They did what they could with a largely obscure character. The concept of Hourman isn't really the most complex.
    Visiting the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hourman webpage would have given them more accurate background information.

It's the background info. There is no popular comic called Hourman based on Rex (unfortunately). We've really only had the specifically branded Hourman comic based on Hourman III, and while 'popular' is always a matter of perspective, sales figures don't back up that it was popular, let alone that it's the wrong character. But that's pretty darn minor, and you're right, I'm really nitpicking.

The main thing is that Rex Tyler did NOT originally appear in 'the Stargirl comics'. They're out by some 50-odd years, there, and I don't recall him even appearing in Stars and STRIPE, but could well be wrong. A simple Google search will show the real answer for his first appearance, as we all know. This is a lot of people's first exposure to the character, so it'd be nice if the info was right. It's not critical, and it's only noticeable to a select few nerds, who are only talking about it for funsies, but hey, it's something.

A simple search would have given them the correct info. Journos should at least do that, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Cat View Post
    It's the background info. There is no popular comic called Hourman based on Rex (unfortunately). We've really only had the specifically branded Hourman comic based on Hourman III, and while 'popular' is always a matter of perspective, sales figures don't back up that it was popular, let alone that it's the wrong character. But that's pretty darn minor, and you're right, I'm really nitpicking.

The main thing is that Rex Tyler did NOT originally appear in 'the Stargirl comics'. They're out by some 50-odd years, there, and I don't recall him even appearing in Stars and STRIPE, but could well be wrong. A simple Google search will show the real answer for his first appearance, as we all know. This is a lot of people's first exposure to the character, so it'd be nice if the info was right. It's not critical, and it's only noticeable to a select few nerds, who are only talking about it for funsies, but hey, it's something.

A simple search would have given them the correct info. Journos should at least do that, right?
    Perhaps. But to call it "garbage writing" is a bit rude.

I never called it that, but in that poster's defence, the stuff that is wrong is factual, and the result of a simple failure to Google. Your answer is 'perhaps' but I'd argue it's simply a binary question here, as the info is simply right or wrong, and it's wrong. So the article is wrong in multiple places, therefore it doesn't seem too far out of place IMO to say it's garbage. Afterall, if it's not giving you correct information (that is not a matter of opinion) then what is the point? It's giving misinformation, and that's objectively bad.

But again, it's all just nerdery, so take a seat and enjoy the ride.

Boisterously Confused

You are correct. I was rude. I was not, however, inaccurate.

A simple Wiki search would have cut all of the inaccuracies out of their story. I presume that the writer is getting some compensation for the story, even if only a credit for their resume.

I know that anybody with a brain distrusts the internet (and rightly so). Nonetheless, If you make a living putting information out over mass media, you have an obligation to do it right. That writer didn't even do the basics. Could be they were under site-imposed time-pressure. Still, understanding that I'm rude, the excuses don't elevate the work above garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    Hourman has one of the best costumes in DC.
    It has a nice colour scheme but I'm still figuring how the mask works. It's loose around his cheeks but the tight around the nose and eyes. I...what?

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    It has a nice colour scheme but I'm still figuring how the mask works. It's loose around his cheeks but the tight around the nose and eyes. I...what?
    It's a hood that also happens to be a mask.

Yeah. No way that works IRL, but it looks awesome.

Let's let it be a comic.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    It uses comic book physics like many other costumes. It has to look cool on the page, not stand up to read world scrutiny.

You are correct. I was rude. I was not, however, inaccurate.

A simple Wiki search would have cut all of the inaccuracies out of their story. I presume that the writer is getting some compensation for the story, even if only a credit for their resume.

I know that anybody with a brain distrusts the internet (and rightly so). Nonetheless, If you make a living putting information out over mass media, you have an obligation to do it right. That writer didn't even do the basics. Could be they were under site-imposed time-pressure. Still, understanding that I'm rude, the excuses don't elevate the work above garbage.
    Then respectfully speaking, you aren't doing criticism the right way. Justifying rudeness doesn't make it okay. and I will simply leave it at that.

On topic. Is there any chance this Hourman film will tie into Black Adam and the JSA? It would be a missed opportunity otherwise.

Then respectfully speaking, you aren't doing criticism the right way. Justifying rudeness doesn't make it okay. and I will simply leave it at that.

On topic. Is there any chance this Hourman film will tie into Black Adam and the JSA? It would be a missed opportunity otherwise.
    And this is what is wrong with the younger generations: They consider the possibility of hurt feelings to be worse than, say, actively spreading false information. Any so-called "news" article should be concerned only with facts and information, not feelings.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

If there's a meaningful connection, go for it, but otherwise I don't think it's necessary. Hourman could very well be a smaller film about substance abuse and the toll it takes on someone's family through the lens of superheroes. You don't actually need to bring in the JSA, even if I'd like the cameos.

Let's let it be a comic.
    Except they're making it a film now, so curious how they translate that comic book mask into live action...

Saw this thread, and knowing there's a movie on the way was curious - what sort of superhero is Hourman? Like, what sort of movie might we be in for? Is he a lighter or darker character? What's his power level? Will he need a lot of CGI? Is he more of a Batman or Superman type? I read the wiki page years ago, but it doesn't tell you that much (at least nothing I remember now).

Let's let it be a comic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Except they're making it a film now, so curious how they translate that comic book mask into live action...

Saw this thread, and knowing there's a movie on the way was curious - what sort of superhero is Hourman? Like, what sort of movie might we be in for? Is he a lighter or darker character? What's his power level? Will he need a lot of CGI? Is he more of a Batman or Superman type? I read the wiki page years ago, but it doesn't tell you that much (at least nothing I remember now).
    They made it work beautifully in the Stargirl TV show with Rick Tyler.

stargirl-justice-society-recap-the-cw-1225964-1280x0.jpg
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!