Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Default The High Republic #1

Star Wars: The High Republic #1
    Written by Cavan Scott
    Art by Ario Anindito
    Summary: A longer time ago,in that galaxy far, far away we truly see the Jedi as defenders of peace and order within the galaxy.
    Plot: In this first part of the newest Star Wars "event" the High Republic( a spiritual successor to 1996's Shadows of the Empire) Scott starts us out with a LOT of information, but the focus on the young jedi Keeve and her master provides the issue a solid focal point character-wise as Scott starts to dole out bits and pieces of the world-building. It's an interesting period, set 200 years before the prequel era when the Jedi were at the height of their power and influence in the galaxy and the view Scott intends to give us of how we go from a generation of peace and prosperity to the galaxy in turmoil we are familiar with is a setting ripe with possibility. There aren't a lot of hints as to where he plans to go so it's hard to say what will happen but the tease with a slightly younger Yoda and the character work we got was interesting enough to see where things are going.
    Art: I think my two biggest take aways from the art are that I love the design work that went into giving this look at a younger Jedi order giving us an almost baroque look to the dress and technology and the second element was that I loved how Anindito moved away from panels when delivering us the action scenes, stretching the images all the way to the edges of the pages giving you are a really detailed, immersive and cinematic feel to the art that was really fun.
    Grade:7/10

Anyone else check this out?

iMan 42s

I kind of dig it. It's close enough to the Prequels that I'm fine with the aesthetic. It did kind of bug me the Old Republic looked so close to the Prequel films but in this case it works since it's a much smaller gap. I also really like how our lead is kind of (I guess?) foul mouthed which does separate her a bit from the other Jedi we've seen. I can't quite figure out what it is I like about her but she seems pretty Human which I like how it contrasts the others characterization being a bit more composed. It's a good story just detailing how she became a Jedi Knight. It's not mind blowing but it's a nice introduction to her if anything else.

As the introduction to the setting? I don't know. Definitely the other books take place before this as they name drop a few events and Skeer has definitely been through something before this. I gotta check out the other books but that all being said, I want to. This isn't a case where I'm missing crucial information, this is a story about Keeve, less establishing the world more establishing her. I want to check out the other material because if it's as any good as this then I think this would be a pretty cool era to explore.

B+ out of me.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    I kind of dig it. It's close enough to the Prequels that I'm fine with the aesthetic. It did kind of bug me the Old Republic looked so close to the Prequel films but in this case it works since it's a much smaller gap. I also really like how our lead is kind of (I guess?) foul mouthed which does separate her a bit from the other Jedi we've seen. I can't quite figure out what it is I like about her but she seems pretty Human which I like how it contrasts the others characterization being a bit more composed. It's a good story just detailing how she became a Jedi Knight. It's not mind blowing but it's a nice introduction to her if anything else.

As the introduction to the setting? I don't know. Definitely the other books take place before this as they name drop a few events and Skeer has definitely been through something before this. I gotta check out the other books but that all being said, I want to. This isn't a case where I'm missing crucial information, this is a story about Keeve, less establishing the world more establishing her. I want to check out the other material because if it's as any good as this then I think this would be a pretty cool era to explore.

B+ out of me.
    Have the pther novels been released yet? I'd definitely be game for more exploration of the setting.

iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Have the pther novels been released yet? I'd definitely be game for more exploration of the setting.
    A few things are out.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    A few things are out.
    Just took a look and it seems like Soule's novel just came out and a couple YA books...I might check out Soule's novel.