Star Wars: The High Republic #1
Written by Cavan Scott
Art by Ario Anindito
Summary: A longer time ago,in that galaxy far, far away we truly see the Jedi as defenders of peace and order within the galaxy.
Plot: In this first part of the newest Star Wars "event" the High Republic( a spiritual successor to 1996's Shadows of the Empire) Scott starts us out with a LOT of information, but the focus on the young jedi Keeve and her master provides the issue a solid focal point character-wise as Scott starts to dole out bits and pieces of the world-building. It's an interesting period, set 200 years before the prequel era when the Jedi were at the height of their power and influence in the galaxy and the view Scott intends to give us of how we go from a generation of peace and prosperity to the galaxy in turmoil we are familiar with is a setting ripe with possibility. There aren't a lot of hints as to where he plans to go so it's hard to say what will happen but the tease with a slightly younger Yoda and the character work we got was interesting enough to see where things are going.
Art: I think my two biggest take aways from the art are that I love the design work that went into giving this look at a younger Jedi order giving us an almost baroque look to the dress and technology and the second element was that I loved how Anindito moved away from panels when delivering us the action scenes, stretching the images all the way to the edges of the pages giving you are a really detailed, immersive and cinematic feel to the art that was really fun.
Grade:7/10

Anyone else check this out?