Default The unreleased Gen 13 animated movie

Who actually saw this and what did you think?
    We reviewed it recently on our channel:

https://youtu.be/jmDah7ftN18
    http://www.wildstormaddiction.com-Wildstorm Addiction podcast

I've said it many times here and I'll say it again: it sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by grifter78 View Post
    Who actually saw this and what did you think?
    We reviewed it recently on our channel:

https://youtu.be/jmDah7ftN18
    Unreleased? I always thought it had been released.

I saw a couple of times and

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberstrike View Post
    I've said it many times here and I'll say it again: it sucks.
    Ditto.
    the extra skater
    Download Ferda Boys #1, a 36-page hockey webcomic.

Extraordinary Member

How can you have voice talent like Mark Hamill and John de Lance, and it ends up...........like this?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    How can you have voice talent like Mark Hamill and John de Lance, and it ends up...........like this?
    You have Mark Hammil voice-acting, you have the same style of Batman The Animated Series, possibly one of the greatest cartoons ever made, you have a director that worked in this same cartoon and in its full-length Mask of the Phantasm... and you still fail.

But although a great fan of Jim Lee, J. Scott Campbell and Brandon Choi, I guess the group Genął doesn't help much, so you couldn't expect something really good.
    the extra skater

The reasons why in my honest opinion Gen 13: the Animated movie sucks:

1) The animation feels like below average 90s cartoon show is often is below that.

2) The story is boring and dull.

3) The voice acting is awful. Hamil is just seems to be dialing in a less maniacal version of the Joker. Both De Lancie and Leachman are horribly miscast and feel like their characters are in the wrong movie.

4) The film wants to be both a family film and a more "mature" anime style action movie like Ninja Scroll in the worst ways possible, more graphic violence and titillation, but fails to either of those things right and instead chickens out of the violence being less shocking and less visceral more badly handled and comes off as either comical or out of place. The titillation is not sexy or even creepy, it's out of place and bland.

5) The character designs don't work.

6) The heroes are all uninteresting, dull, and stupid that I don't care about them.

The only thing interesting about this film is it's convoluted post-production history and why it not had an official mass release in the US, which when your read about isn't all that interesting as it just petty and stupid studio reasons but then again it being a legally lost film might be the best thing about and for it especially since the damn thing can easily found and watched on YouTube and both WB and Disney don't want to deal with it.
    Last edited by Cyberstrike; 01-21-2021 at 06:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberstrike View Post
    2) The story is boring and dull.

6) The heroes are all uninteresting, dull, and stupid that I don't care about them.
    To me, these two points here sum up the group not only in the cartoon but in its whole existence.
    the extra skater

Quote Originally Posted by extra skater View Post
    You have Mark Hammil voice-acting, you have the same style of Batman The Animated Series, possibly one of the greatest cartoons ever made, you have a director that worked in this same cartoon and in its full-length Mask of the Phantasm... and you still fail.
    What works for Batman doesn't always work for others.

To me, these two points here sum up the group not only in the cartoon but in its whole existence.
    I actually found the characters in the comic likable (except for Burnout who was basically wallpaper the entire time) but even having read the entire original series, I couldn't tell you what the book was about.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I actually found the characters in the comic likable (except for Burnout who was basically wallpaper the entire time)
    The only character I almost liked was Fairchild and dude, I tried.
    Roxy and Grunge are just goofy (in a bad way) and Sarah doesn't me convince as a tough girl. And that's a pity because she could be an awesome character.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    but even having read the entire original series, I couldn't tell you what the book was about.
    Yes, that's the point. And I read everything too.
    I said I like Jim Lee and J. Scott Campbell, but to me they're awesome making art and not creating.
    And Brandon Choi writing was so much better in Wild Cats or Deathblow.
    the extra skater

This was released, at least in Australia. I bought a copy on VHS, direct from a store, 90% sure it was Target (no relation to US Target, I believe). Haven't watched it in decades, don't remember much about it, to be honest.

Sad to hear so much negativity about the movie. Maybe next time, they should emulate the anime-style (similar to Adam Warren):

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Sad to hear so much negativity about the movie. Maybe next time, they should emulate the anime-style (similar to Adam Warren):

Dude, I'm a big fan of Adam Warren but not of these comics
    the extra skater

The only character I almost liked was Fairchild and dude, I tried.
    Roxy and Grunge are just goofy (in a bad way) and Sarah doesn't me convince as a tough girl. And that's a pity because she could be an awesome character.

Yes, that's the point. And I read everything too.
    I said I like Jim Lee and J. Scott Campbell, but to me they're awesome making art and not creating.
    And Brandon Choi writing was so much better in Wild Cats or Deathblow.
    Back in the 90s at the height of the Gen 13 comic's popularity I knew of a chain of local comic book stores who couldn't give away copies of Deathmate Black for $1.00 (I think some employees just gave the damn thing for free to some people) which is technically the first appearance for of the Gen 13 characters, later a former manger told me years later that the same stores lost more money on Deathmate than any other mini-series at that time. He told me this after he left the store. So take it with a grain of salt.
    Last edited by Cyberstrike; 03-31-2021 at 12:19 PM.

Back in the 90s at the height of the Gen 13 comic's popularity I knew of a chain of local comic book stores who couldn't give away copies of Deathmate Black for $1.00 (I think some employees just gave the damn thing for free to some people) which is technically the first appearance for of the Gen 13 characters, later a former manger told me years later that the same stores lost more money on Deathmate than any other mini-series at that time. He told me this after he left the store. So take it with a grain of salt.
    Deathmate was a weird crossover. At the time, the main draw of Vailant was it's storytelling and Image was it's art, and the crossover felt like it was suing Vailant style art with Image storytelling.

Dude, I'm a big fan of Adam Warren but not of these comics
    Me too. I'll always love his version of Gen-13 (especially, when he does interior artwork):