Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    I always was surprised that they never had Alex and Lorna have a kid, the child of the Summers line and Magneto's line...could be very powerful...
    Very good point, that kid would be heir to Magneto's throne like Scott is heir to Charles'

Ultimate Member

I think that it partially never happened because Marvel repeatedly had Sinister downplay Alex as not being worth his time...

Astonishing Member

I think that it partially never happened because Marvel repeatedly had Sinister downplay Alex as not being worth his time...
    Which is why Alex needs a writer on a book that appreciates him as a character, not a poor man's Scott but something different but just as worthwhile. Alex is my favorite X-man, but rarely has he been offered a chance to shine. The members of Hellions are mostly castoffs, feels like they got the last draft picks in the Hickman mutant draft, it would be funny if their book went on to be the most successful of this X-run it is already my favorite.

Ultimate Member

That would be an interesting outcome for the book if it happens, as for Alex I'd rather he be fully himself again and headlining a book that really matters...

After Maddie, I always wanted to see something between Alex and Jean. It felt odd that he was involved with Maddie but had no residual feelings left for Jean when Maddie was another incarnation of Jean. Mutant X is pretty much the only time Alex and Jean were ever together.

Ultimate Member

Probably because Maddy and Jean were nothing alike, they just looked the same, and Scott abandoned Maddy and their son to run back to Jean so that helped, and I don't think that Alex knows Jean nearly as well as he knew Maddy, and no I'm not talking sexually...

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    I am a more of a Alex Maddy guy but I always liked Alex and Lorna too, but some of the Lorna-stans hate her with Alex, though I am not sure why
    As a Lorna stan, I wouldn't want Lorna and Alex to ever come together again although it's inevitable. His behavior to her has been pretty unforgivable, such as blaming her for the Malice possession and acting like he was the victim of a betrayal, and of course the infamous Chuck Austen wedding. Lorna has only ever suffered from being with Alex especially since that relationship tended to reduce her to Jean Grey 2.0 (even while there was still some interest in Alex as an individual).

Probably because Maddy and Jean were nothing alike, they just looked the same, and Scott abandoned Maddy and their son to run back to Jean so that helped, and I don't think that Alex knows Jean nearly as well as he knew Maddy, and no I'm not talking sexually...
    Regular Maddie was nothing alike to Jean but by the time of the Goblin Queen incarnation, she wasn't that far off from Dark Phoenix. And as Claremont said in X-Men: The End, Maddie was the part of Jean that loved Scott the most so if Maddie could have feelings for Alex and memories of being with him (all of which would be passed onto Jean after Inferno), it's strange that Jean and Alex never addressed that. Especially since Mutant X Alex was linked to Jean/Maddie and even married her and had a child. I suppose the biggest obstacle wouldn't even be Scott, but Lorna since Jean and Lorna are supposed to be best friends even if most writers dismiss that.

Ultimate Member

This is Alex's appreciation thread remember...and she has not only ever suffered, that's a matter of opinion...

I don't have a problem with Alex as a character, I just don't approve of him and Lorna together since almost always there's a power imbalance.

Ultimate Member

Any imbalance is not Alex's fault, it's the writers, they've been apart for years and many Lorna fans here still aren't happy about Lorna's place, wanting her as little more than the totally obedient daughter that lives to be the best daughter possible to Magneto and be just like him, and believe exactly as he does...sounds to me like Lorna has become lost as his daughter, with that becoming her defining character trait...talk about power imbalance...

All that it would take for Alex and Lorna to be good is a good writer...

Well Lorna fans have issues with her only being characterized as Magneto's daughter as well. But generally, there's more mileage you can get out of that than just making her Alex's girlfriend, especially considering how much bigger a character Magneto is compared to Havok. And there's also a lot of lost regrets about how if Lorna's parentage hadn't been retconned right after the big reveal during her debut, we could potentially have had the first Marvel antihero (not including Namor), a Silver Age character who would struggle between the light and the dark or another prominent female villain. Byrne retconning Wanda and Pietro as Magneto's kids also took away what was a unique characteristic of Lorna so even now, most casual fans see Wanda and Pietro as his true kids, not Lorna.

You're right it would only take a good writer but I think this couple has way too much baggage right now. Not to mention Alex having partnered with Janet and even having a daughter with her, although that seems forgotten now. I don't know how controversial this opinion is with Havok fans, but I really did like Remender's characterization of him (since I know most X-Fans were furious and wanted to burn Havok at the stake after his speech) and I think Claremont's Havok during the final days of the Outback days actually held pretty similar views on human-mutant relations.

Ultimate Member

Alex and Janet if memory serves was Remender's doing and has pretty much been ignored since thankfully, I never viewed her as just being his girlfriend and being his girlfriend never in and of itself never kept her from interacting with anybody. As to how Lorna was portrayed in the past about her parentage, NONE of that is Alex's fault or their relationships fault, Alex just often gets used as a scapegoat for all of that. Wanda and Pietro often suffered as a result of being Magneto's kids and one of these days Lorna will not be so loyal to him and he'll try to kill her just like he tried to kill Wanda and Pietro a time or two, my point in all of that is that how she's now being portrayed in regards to Magneto is the same way that they claim that she was portrayed in regards to Alex if not worse...and I think that some fans have a bit to high of an opinion of Magneto that gets in the way...

I didn't care much for Alex and Janet together either (and I don't know anybody who liked them together tbh). For some reason Janet always hooks up with random X-Characters since she was paired with Magneto in Secret Wars. Alex and Lorna as a pair always got compared to Scott and Jean and these two lived in their shadows. Alex still had it better than Lorna since Claremont was willing to use him in the Outback X-Men days but Lorna got possessed...again.

Nobody ever said that Lorna's portrayal in the past with her parentage is Alex's fault. The difference between Magneto and Alex is that Magneto is a villain and an absent father. Alex is supposed to be her boyfriend so there's a higher standard applied to him. It's one thing if Magneto tries to kill Lorna, that wouldn't be very surprising, but there's a problem if Alex would try to kill her, which I should point out he did try to do when she was first possessed by Malice. I don't understand why Claremont wrote Alex as understanding that Lorna was possessed without her own free will, but at the same time Alex felt Lorna had betrayed him and there was no saving her now. And this issue wasn't exclusive to Alex, all the X-Men basically acted the same way towards Lorna which was plain bizarre. Almost like she had been brainwashed so many times into becoming evil that they assumed her natural state was to be their enemy rather than their ally.

Regardless, I like both characters but I think they're both better off without each other despite their classic history together, which in part is the main issue, since that history has always reduced them to Scott and Jean 2.0 for most of the time. And both characters have typically shined whenever they were not paired together, which is more true for Alex than Lorna mainly because Lorna has never had a writer dedicated to her as much. Alex got pushed the most as an A-Lister during the Outback X-Men and Uncanny Avengers days. And Lorna fans typically feel her character thrived most during her time with Magneto on Genosha.

Ultimate Member

The higher standard should have been with her father, but yet for years he only tried to kill her and Wanda and Pietro for daring to disobey him...so then you're blaming Alex for how CC wrote him, it's CC's fault not Alex's. The past portrayal wasn't about her parentage, only that everything about her past that some fans didn't like they blamed on Alex, that he kept her from this or that. It's not Alex's fault if writers haven't wanted to write Lorna to your or others liking, I think that they've shined when together as well, and it's only bad writing that had them as Scott and Jean 2.0, and over the last several years Alex has mostly been treated like crap, even now most of the X-men could care less if he died and stayed dead, I mean they didn't even realize or care that he was still inverted until they had to face it, I just view it as Lorna having lost herself in the identity of her father, that his clout has eradicated the character that I loved and turned her into practically Magneto's female clone and not his daughter who can have her own ideas that are entirely different to his...I've even seen some Magneto fans who have said that it's not possible for her to disagree with him because he's never been wrong about anything...which is impossible...

Quote Originally Posted by whitecrown View Post
    I don't have a problem with Alex as a character, I just don't approve of him and Lorna together since almost always there's a power imbalance.
    This is how I feel. I think that Havok is a tremendous character.

I just don't like him with Polaris because Polaris tends to end up being used as nothing more than a prop for Havok's stories.

Personally, I would like to see Havok end up with Madalyne Pyre. I think that they have great chemistry togather, and Alex is one of the few characters left who treats Maddie as if she is her own person worth saving and redeeming. Can't really say that about the rest of the X-Men.